Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

The local test center even doesn't allow me to pass the initial test

mikearty

Reaction score
My situation is unique. The point is that I applied for asylum on the island of Guam (US territory) and my passport expired almost two years ago. However, I have a local driver's license, SSN and work authorization card (EAD). Nevertheless, the local test center requires my passport which I don't have at all, and I am not able to get a new one due to rational and sound reasons (I cannot get a passport of the country which I am escaped from).

What does it mean? It means that I literally stuck with this until I obtain American citizenship! It can happen in 5 or even more years. And it means that I will not be able to operate my drone commercially which I have bought recently for the 5 or more years.

This is crazy and unfair. Do you think there could be a workaround?

First off welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear about your citizenship woes but unless you get the local US Govt to petition on your behalf you don't have any choice but to wait. You just happen to be one of the "unusual" instances that the rules don't happen to have a contingency for.

Maybe you could find a friend who would be willing to get their part 107 certificate and they could be present and act as PIC when you fly? You would still own all the equipment and do all the flying. You might have to buy them lunch when you are done flying. (I don't think I'm being political to agree that the US immigration process is crazy, unfair, and almost completely broke ... as long we don't discuss pros and cons of the various short sighted solutions.) :)

Welcome,
Since 911 security has changed dramatically, in some instances it's a necessity and in others, it's over kill.
Crazy yes/ maybe. Unfair absolutely not!
People come to America for a reason, just as you asked for asylum here.
I'm a staunch former military and a PROUD AMERICAN!
Unfair is not a good choice of words, IMO!
I do hope you will eventually get your American citizenship and 107.
BTW, be careful what you type on any post or social media, it could come back to haunt you? ie: background check.

My situation is unique. The point is that I applied for asylum on the island of Guam (US territory) and my passport expired almost two years ago. However, I have a local driver's license, SSN and work authorization card (EAD). Nevertheless, the local test center requires my passport which I don't have at all, and I am not able to get a new one due to rational and sound reasons (I cannot get a passport of the country which I am escaped from).

What does it mean? It means that I literally stuck with this until I obtain American citizenship! It can happen in 5 or even more years. And it means that I will not be able to operate my drone commercially which I have bought recently for the 5 or more years.

The work around can be found here: Information for International UAS Operators in the United States

To cut to the chase, the important part you are looking for is this.
Flying Your Drone
  • If your UAS or drone weighs less than 55 pounds at takeoff including everything that is on board or attached to the aircraft:
    • Review the requirements to fly under the Small UAS Rule (Part 107), including FAA Advisory Circular 107-2.
    • Decide who will fly your UAS or drone based on the following options:
      • You will need to get a Remote Pilot Certificate (RPC) issued by the FAA to fly your drone as the pilot in command (PIC). The FAA does not currently recognize any foreign RPC or equivalent. As a first-time remote pilot, you will be required to visit a Knowledge Testing Center and pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test. All Testing Centers are located in the U.S. Review the process for becoming a remote pilot and find suggested study materials.
      • If you do not have a U.S. RPC, you may operate the UAS or drone under the direct supervision of the certificated U.S. remote pilot acting as the remote PIC if the remote PIC has the ability to immediately take direct control of the flight of the UAS. Part 107.12 describes this process. Or you can have a remote pilot with a U.S. RPC fly the operation for you.

Reactions: BigAl07

Actually, you may have a workable option (if your current status is documented "resident alien.") According to the FAA Airman Knowledge Testing Applicant Identification, Information Verification, & Authorization Requirement Matrix, of Oct 15, 2018 (https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/testing_matrix.pdf) "Acceptable Forms of Identification: U.S. Citizens & Resident Aliens - Driver permit or license issued by a U.S. state or territory, U.S. Govt. ID card, U.S. Military ID card, Passport OR (my caps) Alien residency card."

So, if you have an alien residency card, the test center should (the FAA might say "must") permit you to take the test. If you pass the written test, and the TSA background check, you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Reactions: R Martin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roy thellmann