Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Thermal Beacon?

Reactions: Hawkwind
Not to worry. I found and ordered some IR beacons from OwnTheNight. I ordered 3 personal infrared beacons used to prevent fratricide on the battlefield and are ITAR restricted. These should be much easier to spot with a thermal camera.

Phoenix Jr Infrared Beacon, IR-14, P/N 902111IR

Not to worry. I found and ordered some IR beacons from OwnTheNight. I ordered 3 personal infrared beacons used to prevent fratricide on the battlefield and are ITAR restricted. These should be much easier to spot with a thermal camera.
I'm confused on this rcdancer. We had looked for some kind of marker we could use to distinguish between our guys and the victim but the XT camera simply can't see a light source. It's all thermal. So are you saying these will be seen by a FLIR camera?

I'm confused on this rcdancer. We had looked for some kind of marker we could use to distinguish between our guys and the victim but the XT camera simply can't see a light source. It's all thermal. So are you saying these will be seen by a FLIR camera?

Absolutely as they emit only infrared and no visible light. That's why they are ITAR restricted and cannot be shipped overseas.

Absolutely as they emit only infrared and no visible light. That's why they are ITAR restricted and cannot be shipped overseas.

Hmm.. Well I'm curious how this works out because every search I have done states that a FLIR will not pick up IR light unless there is heat associated with the source. One guy even stated that he could not pick up IR lights on a tank designed to supply IR light around the whole area with his FLIR because it had no heat source with it. If it works, that will be good news though because we have been looking for a way to see our guys at night with the XT.

From the literature ...

"The Beacon can also be used with FLIR (forward-looking infrared) systems .... The Beacon does not emit in the “thermal” IR band so it will not be affected by ambient heat radiation in the area. The FLIR system should be switched to low-light camera mode to detect the Beacon."

I believe the M2ED will detect the beacon in MSX mode.

Reactions: miturnbo
In preparation for the upcoming night SAR training, I ordered some ITAR restricted IR beacons hoping/believing the M2ED would be able to see them in MSX mode. While IR beacons are designed to work only with night vision equipment and are invisible in FLIR IR mode, the M2ED does in fact see them in MSX mode. It's raining tonight so was unable to fly, but I did an in-house test with the lights out. Sure enough, the beacon was undetectable to visible light and IR, but once I switched to MSX mode, I could see the flashing beacon.

I'm hoping to be able to do some outside testing this weekend and will post some video if I get a chance.

In preparation for the upcoming night SAR training, I ordered some ITAR restricted IR beacons hoping/believing the M2ED would be able to see them in MSX mode. While IR beacons are designed to work only with night vision equipment and are invisible in FLIR IR mode, the M2ED does in fact see them in MSX mode. It's raining tonight so was unable to fly, but I did an in-house test with the lights out. Sure enough, the beacon was undetectable to visible light and IR, but once I switched to MSX mode, I could see the flashing beacon.

I'm hoping to be able to do some outside testing this weekend and will post some video if I get a chance.
So what's the word? Will the XT pick up the Phoenix Jr Infrared Beacon, IR-14, P/N 902111IR ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boduku