Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Transport Canada Approved Flight Log

Timinator

Reaction score
So I was reading the proposed amendments to CAR regs and noticed a section regarding pilot log books and aircraft maintenance records. Will I need to start keeping supplemental records of all my Phantom 4 Pro+ flights or will the built in log collect enough info?

So I was reading the proposed amendments to CAR regs and noticed a section regarding pilot log books and aircraft maintenance records. Will I need to start keeping supplemental records of all my Phantom 4 Pro+ flights or will the built in log collect enough info?
I always have had individual logs for each aircraft and each pilot has his own. It's pretty easy to keep those records. What ever you have in your operations manual should be ok with the proposed regs.
Do you have a standing SFOC?

Not yet. Just starting out learning the craft. I want to do things properly so I am taking a measured approach to this. Even then, it will just be a single operator kind of setup.

Not yet. Just starting out learning the craft. I want to do things properly so I am taking a measured approach to this. Even then, it will just be a single operator kind of setup.
Ok , if you haven't already done so, you might check the Transport Canada SI here
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-uav-4161.html
It is the staff instruction for an SFOC application.
It contains most of the items required at this time. I'm thinking the documents won't change much and so my take is that you are required to keep a separate log.

Ooh, @jack.s I'd also love to hear what you are doing for flight logs. I'm using Kittyhawk at the moment, which is nice for my own records and maintenance, but not sure what Canada would be looking at, and I'm planning a trip up to Vancouver and am looking into getting a flight authorization - which seems to be a long-term effort.

Hi Jack, would you be OK with showing me a log for a flight? Curious. Also maintenance on a drone. Obviously software, visual, audible checks, calibration etc, but what else can we really do? I have an SFOC. Thanks
Hi Northern, the pilot's log is basic Date/Time/UAV/Location/Comments/Flight Time/ Total Flight Time/ Initials
The maintenance we use is also basic inspect props and prop mounts,body for cracks,battery terminals, shell screws, motor turning friction, motor temperature at flight end, battery balance and life, also camera lens and filter condition.Plus the items you mention.
What did you put in your OP Manual for TC ?

Reactions: Timinator
Ooh, @jack.s I'd also love to hear what you are doing for flight logs. I'm using Kittyhawk at the moment, which is nice for my own records and maintenance, but not sure what Canada would be looking at, and I'm planning a trip up to Vancouver and am looking into getting a flight authorization - which seems to be a long-term effort.
I think your ok with what you use.As long as you have a copy available at anytime should you be questioned by TC.
Not sure when your visiting.Right now the new regs haven't been made law yet but sometime this year.
I believe if your doing non Commercial flights and abide by the interm order, I don't think you require authorization.
A link to TC webpage on recreational rules here
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/flying-drone-safely-legally.html
If your doing NON recreational flights and your flights don't fit an exemption
then ya it's a huge process.
This link to TC covers the exemptions
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/getting-permission-fly-drone.html

Hi Jack, would you be OK with showing me a log for a flight? Curious. Also maintenance on a drone. Obviously software, visual, audible checks, calibration etc, but what else can we really do? I have an SFOC. Thanks
The aircraft flight logs are same as pilot logs basically.
The maintenance logs just are similar with a box for Deficiencies and repairs performed and Tech performing

Every SFOC requires you to keep a log, it's good practice even if not required, you should also keep a log of your batteries and charges.

upload_2018-3-24_6-50-36.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV