Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

UAS NOTAMS in Western NY

Avocet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Website
www.kestrelsolutionsuav.com
I don't know if you've happened to look at the sectional for NY, but Syracuse has a MONSTER UAS NOTAM, surface to 10k ft for 3 months. It also encapsulates an MOA ... Sumpin up there. Military? U of S?

Reactions: dawgpilot
That's the problem with a DROTAM, no one is verifying etc. I know some people who have put them up for months before and after their actual flight just for kicks n grins. Always take them with a grain of salt but do always note them just in case.

I was looking at published drone operating areas and saw this huge circle in the state of New York. It's a 60 nm radius, surrounding Syracuse, surface to 10,000 feet AGL, and in effect from noon until 2 AM, daily, indefinitely. Ummm, that NOTAM covers 11,310 square miles.

Anyone know what that is?

Isn't there a college/univ in that general area too?

IMHO that's part of the problem with the Drotam system.... I know operators who placed theirs in the system a month in advance and month after their flight and it covered 50X more area than they utilized. It's just to easy and sloppy to "put whatever" in the fields and go with it.

It's a NY State Drone technology research and development facility. It's seen on a NY State commercial on local TV very often. I'll see if I can dig up the commercial.

Here is actually a more detailed commercial regarding that area of New York State.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I don't know if you've happened to look at the sectional for NY, but Syracuse has a MONSTER UAS NOTAM, surface to 10k ft for 3 months. It also encapsulates an MOA ... Sumpin up there. Military? U of S?
Looks like it makes sense for an R&D facility.
NOTAMS are not verified by any agency and can be abused. I know an LE agency UAS team who was too lazy to issue a NOTAM before every operational mission (personal knowledge) so they thought it would be cute to issue one for a year for a radius of 8 NM around their city. (So their UAS "may" fly "sometime" during the next 12 months "somewhere" within 200 square miles, maybe in the day or maybe at night, you guess).
As an aviator that is about as useless as not posting one at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM