Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Uncertainty about this airspace near LA...

aerialimagery

Reaction score
I know I probably should know this, but I don't know how to read this chart regarding the dashed blue line around the airport in San Bernardino. Also, the facility map does not include this area.

Is it "Class D" only at certain times?

Where I want to fly is near "Loma Linda."

facility map loma linda.JPG

san bernardino.JPG

Also, to make this more complicated, I have found this document regarding flying drones for filming in San Bernardino County in CA. I'm not clear if only pertains to "filming" or if it includes still photography as well. Also, it's from 2015, so maybe it's outdated, but I can't find anything else:
http://www.sbcountyadvantage.com/ge...nardino-County-Drone-info.pdf.aspx;;?ext=.pdf

Don't know about local regs, but according to the airport directory, the tower is attended Mon thru Sun from 0700-2100. So no flying during those hours without a waiver or autorization.

I know I probably should know this, but I don't know how to read this chart regarding the dashed blue line around the airport in San Bernardino. Also, the facility map does not include this area.

View attachment 554

View attachment 555

Also, to make this more complicated, I have found this document regarding flying drones for filming in San Bernardino County in CA. I'm not clear if only pertains to "filming" or if it includes still photography as well. Also, it's from 2015, so maybe it's outdated, but I can't find anything else:
http://www.sbcountyadvantage.com/ge...nardino-County-Drone-info.pdf.aspx;;?ext=.pdf
Segmented blue line means Class D controlled airspace, blue airport symbol means a tower. No flying w/o an authorization.

Reactions: R Martin
The dashed blue means that is it Class D airspace when the tower is operating. It is sometimes hard to find "correct information" and knowing where to look it important. I always have to "research". I think a reg in pt 91 ops refers to pre flight and if there ever is an "incident" the feds believe you should have known everything and everything in the world. So you are required to know airspace, times of operations, NOTAMS, TFR's, and probably the local jurisdictions on the ground, such as if it is private property. For those flying for hire I recommend using a pt 61 app such as Foreflight on an iPad and downloading available documents, such as VFR chart legends and more. You can also pull down chart supplements that can help you find tower op times and it says when not operating the airspace will become Class G (possible E in places)

View attachment 554

View attachment 555

Regarding the lack of info on the UASFM for this airport, remember the UASFM data comes from the airports themselves. Some airports do not provide UASFMs. It was common for most airports to not have data until recently.

Some airports are either still figuring out what they want to have published and some just might be refusing to participate.

Sectional Charts and Terminal Area Charts are the only final authority on airspace delineations.

The UASFMs are a guide to what altitudes are likely to be easily granted for a COA/waiver. The aeronautical sectional and terminal area charts tell you where you need a COA/waiver to operate.

Regarding the lack of info on the UASFM for this airport, remember the UASFM data comes from the airports themselves. Some airports do not provide UASFMs. It was common for most airports to not have data until recently.

Some airports are either still figuring out what they want to have published and some just might be refusing to participate.

Sectional Charts and Terminal Area Charts are the only final authority on airspace delineations.

The UASFMs are a guide to what altitudes are likely to be easily granted for a COA/waiver. The aeronautical sectional and terminal area charts tell you where you need a COA/waiver to operate.

I think @Moosewax hit on something that every sUAS operator (not just commercial) needs to know and fully understand...Sectional Charts and Terminal Area Charts. If you don't know what they are or how to read them you're essentially "Flying Blind" in terms of aviation.

On a side note, even though many of us (myself included) use various 3rd party apps for "reference" we have to always go back to the "Official/Authorized" sources for the REAL Aviation information. If your process is even remotely "questionable" (as in unsure of airspace etc) you're best bet is go to the source to get your information and not 3rd party "designer" apps. We are morally and legally responsible for ensuring we are using authorized, accurate, and CURRENT data to plan each and every flight we make.

I think @Moosewax hit on something that every sUAS operator (not just commercial) needs to know and fully understand...Sectional Charts and Terminal Area Charts. If you don't know what they are or how to read them you're essentially "Flying Blind" in terms of aviation.

On a side note, even though many of us (myself included) use various 3rd party apps for "reference" we have to always go back to the "Official/Authorized" sources for the REAL Aviation information. If your process is even remotely "questionable" (as in unsure of airspace etc) you're best bet is go to the source to get your information and not 3rd party "designer" apps. We are morally and legally responsible for ensuring we are using authorized, accurate, and CURRENT data to plan each and every flight we make.

Bravo BigAl07! There is a reason the 107 exam devotes a lot of time to airspace and Sectionals. If one is going to call her/himself a pilot and flash that cute little blue/green FAA card around then they better put on their big boy pants and quit dodging the issue. If you can't read a Sectional you may be a "pilot" but you ain't no aviator...

I understand it is tough for people to learn the aeronautical charts especially when they don't have a network to help them. I was lucky and knew a couple manned aircraft pilots to help me understand the charts when I started.

I commend the OP for being on the right track and using official sources.

Maybe we should setup a chart reading guide here in the forums.....

I will try to start a good post on it soon, just hard to nail me down for several hours on something if it doesn't involve my jobs as father and full time employee :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Your good will is commendable. IMHO, anyone holding a 107 already knows, or should know, how to locate resources for this. YouTube practically offers entire lessons on airspace and charts and are free. All it takes is a little time and initiative.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rice