Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Using a drone to find Hotspots

Firedrone

Reaction score
Hi all,

Over here our fire season is coming to an end (I hope) which will mean our brigade will start doing controlled Hazzard Reduction Burns.

I have no experience with thermal imaging, but am thinking that it could be really useful to be able to find Hotspots throught out the fireground, from the air! At the moment we do the standard mop-up, then just drive around the fireground (usually under 5 acers) looking for Hotspots. Sometimes useing a handheld FLIR camera.
But I think it is probably time to go to the air.
If anyone has any thoughts on what to use in regards to camera/setups etc. (including where to get it). Or any suggestions in general it will be appreciated.
I'm thinking that having fpv of the thermal imaging is nessery.

At this stage I just have a DJI Phantom 4.

Cheers.

P.S. I really mean it when I say have no experience with thermal imaging!

Hi all,

Over here our fire season is coming to an end (I hope) which will mean our brigade will start doing controlled Hazzard Reduction Burns.

I have no experience with thermal imaging, but am thinking that it could be really useful to be able to find Hotspots throught out the fireground, from the air! At the moment we do the standard mop-up, then just drive around the fireground (usually under 5 acers) looking for Hotspots. Sometimes useing a handheld FLIR camera.
If anyone has any thoughts on what to use in regards to camera/setups etc. (including where to get it). Or any suggestions in general it will be appreciated.

Cheers.

To give you an example of how efficient this task would be with your phantom. I have been doing a mapping job of a 17 acre site. To cover the site at 150' AGL and take approximately 130 photos to stitch it takes approximately 18 minutes and I use one battery. Hope this helps.

Yeah it does help. I soppose that is longer then I was thinking. Though not unseasonably long.
But then I've gotta figure out how I can put a thermal camera on the phantom. If that is the most cost effective solution.
Thanks for the tip.

Depending on your agency budget. You can either go with the latest and greatest M210 with the new XT2, or use a FLIR VUE (no recording) and modify it to be mounted on the P3P.

I would also recommend going for a 640x512 with a 9mm lens.

Hi all,

Cheers.

Dollar for dollar an Inspire 1 w/ an XT is a cost effective approach. If you have the $$, an M210 or M600.

Reactions: BigAl07
Why isn't anyone looking at the Yuneec 520 with CGO-ET camera? There must be a reason, besides DJI being the "Apple" of drones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM