Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

WebODM on the Apple M1

Higher Attitudes

Reaction score
A few months ago I bought a new Macbook Pro with the M1 chip. The upside is that it is blazing fast. The downside is that some specialty software still doesn't play nicely with the chip architecture even with Apple's emulator which works for a lot of other packages. Anyway, WebODM (photogrammetry) seems to be one of these. In case anyone is interested in this open source, affordable photogrammetry option, and you have an M1 machine, the developer is running a type of kickstarter campaign to fund development for the M1. The opportunity to help fund this work runs through the end of August 2021. If interested visit: OpenDroneMap Funding - Quadratik

Reactions: Heed
A few months ago I bought a new Macbook Pro with the M1 chip. The upside is that it is blazing fast. The downside is that some specialty software still doesn't play nicely with the chip architecture even with Apple's emulator which works for a lot of other packages. Anyway, WebODM (photogrammetry) seems to be one of these. In case anyone is interested in this open source, affordable photogrammetry option, and you have an M1 machine, the developer is running a type of kickstarter campaign to fund development for the M1. The opportunity to help fund this work runs through the end of August 2021. If interested visit: OpenDroneMap Funding - Quadratik
Haven't explored WebODM / WebODM Lighting for a while... still have about 2000 credits, looking at their main pages, their plans or options may have changed too.

The Apple silicon is based on ARM architecture, an area Microsoft is still developing for Windows OS and may be getting closer to an ARM Windows platform.... but still a ways out for Consumer OS version.

Another option to consider... VM Window 10 / 11.
Parallels newest version 17 Pro has major improvements for running Windows VM, and within the ARM architecture (M1, etc). VMWare's Fusion hasn't released a ARM Apple Silicon version yet, claiming legality issues with Windows running on ARM, although Parallels has successfully completed 2 versions for ARM & M1.

I've run Parallels 17 with WIndows 10 Pro, Win10 Wk-Station & Windows 11 Pro (Beta Public) on MBP w Intel i9, and M1. They all perform extremely well, and due to M1 ARM architecture the VM's interface with Hardware Layer is better than previous Intel x86 dependent architecture; I'd say very close to native.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker