Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What Tripod & center pole used for GPS Base / Rove, and GCP’s

dougcjohn

Reaction score
Small shop environment... dabbling in 3D modeling & mapping; what tripod & center pole is used or common?
I seen several videos but curious what Others use for Base / Rover Tripod setups.
Some are equal spaced, others the legs are spaced providing a flat side... advantages?
When looking at various sites, tripod always seem to lack the center pole too.

Is there a good source on Survey Tripods that doesn’t require large investment?

Ground Ruler or Scale Reference; the Hoodman 5 ft ruler looks functional, any other options?
I’ve heard some lay down a ladder, that seems a bit large to carry in rig.

Non-electronic GCP’s... Hoodman nice but pricey!
Heard many use 5 Gal bucket Lids... Home Depot carries nice Orange lids.
These seem easy to carry & stack... maybe on small side, and light if windy.
Many various options here... Any more popular?

Hi Doug,

I'd suggest looking a gear similar to these linked by Michael over on the emlid board.

For targets, I made mine out of inexpensive 1/4 ply. I get 18 16x16 targets. Michael's company uses HD bucket lids. I can easily head off carrying a pack of 18 to distriblute without issue.

I sometimes use heavy paper or cardboard targets painted the same as my ply ones in cases where retrieving them is a pain and so I don't.

In cases where I want to include some sort of scale, I simply use a measuring wheel or tape and 3 targets. I lay them out in a 3-4-5 right triangle (like 30' 40' 50'). It's quick and easy and provide a great scale for me.

target3.jpg

I use white bucket lids (better contrast) drilled thru center so I can carry them on a stringer I made and/or so I can put a large spike thru them if/when needed.

I use tripods available at Home Depot and Lowe’s. I think both are less than $80.

For scaling, use any two objects that you know or measure the horizontal distance between. Make sure the distance is horizontal. If not, you introduce a “scaling error” that you should be aware of. The longer the distance between the objects, the less scaling error (a different scaling error) there will be. Using a 5-ft ruler for scaling has more potential error than using a 50-ft distance between two targets (use the edges of the targets or objects rather than the centers). Use multiple scaling objects across a site as a check.

Attachments

• 301F20CE-824D-4DCC-87AC-FFFD579859B1.jpeg
    301F20CE-824D-4DCC-87AC-FFFD579859B1.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 5F546DF9-BF2E-4348-84E4-4C012E2BEFF7.jpeg
    5F546DF9-BF2E-4348-84E4-4C012E2BEFF7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • D4B09B28-EB56-42BB-AEB9-2E73BB9B7EDC.jpeg
    D4B09B28-EB56-42BB-AEB9-2E73BB9B7EDC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
@Dave Pitman @Earthman ,
Hey Thanks, all great ideas & suggestions!
One theme consistent is affordable tools, avoiding the higher priced gadgets!

Much Appreciated!
I have these:

-Easy to find the center for tagging.
-Individually numbered
-Mesh
-Steel eyelets
-Comes with carry bag and pegs for windy days

Given the price of building materials you likely couldn’t make your own for this price.

Reactions: Earthman
@PinpointUAVS Those GCP's look pretty good too. Nice 2'x2'size too.
Didn't notice they included bag or rods, but they did have a 2nd link for Bag & Rods.

Looks like a nice set at a nice price point.

@PinpointUAVS Those GCP's look pretty good too. Nice 2'x2'size too.
Didn't notice they included bag or rods, but they did have a 2nd link for Bag & Rods.

Looks like a nice set at a nice price point.
I may have linked the wrong listing, I’ll take another look. Mine are identical to this and came with a carry bag and, basically, tent pegs.

**EDIT** I was mistaken. Looking back at my amazon orders I realize that I purchased the bag/pegs separately. Total for the GCPs, bag and pegs was $132CDN ($105USD) including shipping. A sheet of 1/4” plywood is currently nearly $70CDN in my town. I would need 2 sheets (~$140) plus paint, time to cut AND an inconvenient size and weight to transport (plywood GCPs) definitely makes these a worthwhile purchase, at least in my location.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143