Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

What's the best stock site for video or photo sales?

FLYBOYJ

Reaction score
I'm on a few, no sales yet. I was told that once yo post like 100 or more photos or clips you'll start seeing sales. Appreciate any input.

I'm on a few, no sales yet. I was told that once yo post like 100 or more photos or clips you'll start seeing sales. Appreciate any input.
I wouldn't count on it.
There are millions and millions of images out there.
It's hard to stand out.
Go and search on one of the libraries you are with and see just how much is available.
I was on one library for a year and a half before I got my first sale and it was an insulting $0.73 because although the library advertised reasonable minimum prices, they had done a deal to also list images on some microstock libraries.
I think the days of making money out of stock photography are back in the past.

Best sites for photos are (in my sales order): ShutterStock, Adobe Stock, Alamy, Dreamstime, Bigstockphoto. You can use a tool like StockSubmitter - The main tool to optimize microstock contributor workflow to submit to multiple agencies at the same time. Similar list for video: ShutterStock, Adobe Stock and Pond5.

You do need to do several things to get any type of meaningful sales: upload lots (1,000+) of high-quality images and video with good keywording. Submit to multiple sites. Keep improving, expanding your portfolio, and adding fresh content. Post stuff that stands out, is a niche, that you are good at and enjoy. Stay on top of trends.

Stock is a very difficult business to make money with, and it does take time (maybe a year of posting 100 images a month) in order to start making any money. But I've found that you can make at least some money to help offset some of your equipment expenses. My wife complains less now about my camera/drone purchases!

For stock you do have an advantage, aerial images and footage still has less market saturation and can stand out easier.

Check out MicrostockGroup for lots and lots more information on the topic.

Reactions: clackey and FLYBOYJ
Best sites for photos are (in my sales order): ShutterStock, Adobe Stock, Alamy, Dreamstime, Bigstockphoto. You can use a tool like StockSubmitter - The main tool to optimize microstock contributor workflow to submit to multiple agencies at the same time. Similar list for video: ShutterStock, Adobe Stock and Pond5.

You do need to do several things to get any type of meaningful sales: upload lots (1,000+) of high-quality images and video with good keywording. Submit to multiple sites. Keep improving, expanding your portfolio, and adding fresh content. Post stuff that stands out, is a niche, that you are good at and enjoy. Stay on top of trends.

Stock is a very difficult business to make money with, and it does take time (maybe a year of posting 100 images a month) in order to start making any money. But I've found that you can make at least some money to help offset some of your equipment expenses. My wife complains less now about my camera/drone purchases!

For stock you do have an advantage, aerial images and footage still has less market saturation and can stand out easier.

how much have you made? Do they ask for your part 107 remote pilot license?

Yes the big sites are all good, you have to be patient for sales though, Pond 5 seems to be pretty good, people buying imagery of anything demand high quality so your photos and video really has to be stunning to sell a lot. Found this real helpful: Top 10 Places to Sell Drone Video Footage it offers some solid advice and a few interesting tips.

how much have you made? Do they ask for your part 107 remote pilot license?

So after a year, I am on track to make a couple thousand a year, right now mostly from photos. Video clips have a much higher commission, but seem to take a long time (6-12 months) after being posted before you start getting sales.

As of now, they do not asked for Part 107 license, although this is clearly commercial work and would require a license. Some sites, like Pond 5, have a special collection for contributors which fly DJI drones and have a verify Part 107 license on file.

++ on shutterstock - its hard to get started but once it starts "liking" you it seems to boost your media in searches etc...

CAVEAT: I don't know much on the photo side of this but with respect to video, it is my business.

There's a mountain of mediocre material out there. If you adding more mediocre content, you're probably wasting your time (and everyone else's). There is, however, always a market for exceptional content.

Unfortunately, these giant online content marketplaces don't do enough to distinguish between mediocre and exceptional content. If your work is really good, you can get top dollar for it, but not from these sites. Your little bundle of joy will get thrown into a sea of blah.

Finally, you also need to produce what people are looking for. Even if your work is exceptional, it needs to fit the need. If you produce exceptional video content suitable for stock footage, you should get in touch.

Well, I have been uploading to BlackBox and have already begun to generate income. My goal is to be making regulare income of around $500.00 to $ 1,000.00 per month in a year. This is mainly (Stock Video), so you might give them a try. Their new but the CEO is on top of things. I have contacted multiple times via e-mail at night and within minutes he responded. So give it a try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM