Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Who flies with twin controllers?

Red90

Reaction score
Website
www.red90.co.uk
Hi Guys,

Interested to see who uses a twin set up. We’re looking at doing some more in-depth work for a client with our I1 Pro & think the only way is with a separate camera op.

My question is, how long did it take for you to ‘gel’ as a team? I’ve been in helos with a pilot and camera op & the stream of conversation was constant ‘you fly past, I’ll focus on the subject...’ I’m assuming it’ll take a while - but be worth it in the end.

Hi Guys,

Interested to see who uses a twin set up. We’re looking at doing some more in-depth work for a client with our I1 Pro & think the only way is with a separate camera op.

My question is, how long did it take for you to ‘gel’ as a team? I’ve been in helos with a pilot and camera op & the stream of conversation was constant ‘you fly past, I’ll focus on the subject...’ I’m assuming it’ll take a while - but be worth it in the end.

Used to do it all the time with an Inspire Pro until we got grounded. It didn't take long at all to work the dance.

Reactions: Red90
We fly dual operator on several of our operations. I'd say we were "working as a team" after just a few batteries. It's well worth the efforts IMHO.

I fly for film and tv for a living and use dual control exclusively. You are right, good communication is the key. We use full duplex headsets in case I have to move to gain a better perspective on the aircraft, and to ensure com over any background noise.

As far as talking, we use short one or two or three word phrases, and because the camera operator lives in the monitor, he relays movements to me based on the frame. “Back on lense” is widen out or move away to me as an example. It’s my responsibility to know how the aircraft is oriented and move appropriately. He also doesn’t watch the gimbal travel much, so I let him know when he’s getting close to end of travel. If I’m coming to the end of say a high speed run, I let him know whether I am breaking hard or feathering to a stop.

Just a few things we do, but as previously posted you will find your own groove and rap with your cam op. You can do so much more as a team, good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B0054890