Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Would like some pricing suggestions on a project

So you're telling me you NEVER jaywalk? you NEVER go over the speed limit when driving? You always report any items you buy online that you dont get charged sales tax?

Maybe I am being arrogant, but I have faith in my ability to operate a drone in a safe and reasonable manner, even if that might conflict with regulations. I do not see any safety issue with having one drone hovering in place, and then putting a 2nd drone up and letting it hover while I land the first one. If i had to actually maneuver the drones around (aside from going straight up and down) then yes, I would not do that on my own.

And the drone wouldn't be directly over people/traffic.

LOL! Seriously???
Honestly... I go out of my way to not break the law... ANY law.... regardless of how much more I know than the regulators on the local, state, and National level . . .

Now there was a time I thought I knew better and did exactly what I wished but for a good while now I've always tried to follow the laws even if I don't agree with them. But those were a long time ago.

Examples:
Just today we were driving through Kentucky and the highway was 6 lanes wide, open and clear-visible as far as the eye can see yet the speed limit went from 70mph to 55mph. Even though I felt like I could "safely" handle that stretch of highway at 80+mph I still reduced my Cruise Control (and resulting speed) to the stated 55mph. I left it at that rate until the posted speed limit changed at which time I re-adjusted my Cruise Control to the new speed. Of course I got my doors blown off by every Tom, ****, and Harry who wished to run at whatever speed they felt like they were entitled to run. I merely worry about MY speed and let everyone else worry about theirs as I can't do anything about it.

This weekend I was spending time in Louisville Ky and their red lights/crosswalks seemed to take forever. Even though I felt like I could 'safely" run the red lights or cross the crosswalks against the signage I opted to wait until they changed and then proceeded.

That should be the answer to your questions. Yes I do WALK the TALK that I spew out on the forums.

With all due respect, your attitude is exactly why restrictions are getting tougher. Just because you feel like you're better than the law doesn't give you ANY leeway what so ever. What happens if you have a failure/emergency with one sUAS while the other unit is hovering? What happens if an unexpected MANNED aircraft enters the area low and at a high speed? Which one do you bring down and which one do you leave? What happens if one aircraft is about to go into Low Battery Landing and at that moment the other aircraft experiences some typ of sudden emergency failure?

Flying 2 drones is flying 2 drones regardless of the path/direction of flight. You can not SAFELY manipulate 2 at once in an emergency situation. Task saturation is a real thing with one aircraft and 2 it's a recipe for disaster in your situation. Very very bad idea IMHO and probably not the best use for sUAS to begin with.

Aviation has a great safety record because we are always "Expecting" worse case scenario and planning for it like that. Few professional/wise pilots go out with the intentions of busting the regs and creating safety hazards along the way. And even fewer take the time to go online and mention/brag about it on the forums that are very well known (and documented) to be at least occasionally read by our friends at the FAA.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of this forum is genuone industry professionals who don't appreciate those who do this type of stuff and put the rest of us in a negative light. So the uprising you've created is of no surprise what so ever.

Last edited:
PatR can explain more about “possibility of a frequency conflict generated by a passing vehicle that could interfere with the operation of your aircraft.”?

Most of us may drive 5 or 10 over the speed limit, and yes we are breaking the law. We have direct control of the car, we do not have direct control of our drones. What you are failing to understand is when you put something in the air you are entering the world of aviation, the rules are much different and much stricter and for good reason.
I do understand that they are not enforced as they should be, but have an accident and the FAA and NTSB will be all over you. People here are attempting to make you understand the importance of playing by the rules. I isn't to harass you, it is to make you a better and wiser drone operator.
You realize you've justified driving over the speed limit the same way I was justifying flying two drones, right? You've used your own judgement to determine that under conditions, you can safely break the law. It's a very hypocritical argument.

I still feel under this specific scenario, I could operate the two drones since essentially I'm only going to be operating one at a time, since one of them will just be hovering in place. I think the risk would be acceptable given that there would only be two drones up at the same time for 3-4 minutes at most.

However, you can all calm down a little bit. I decided to ask the client this question and they would prefer having everything on the up and up, so I will be looking to hire a 2nd pilot if I get the job. I do appreciate the advice - although i don't appreciate the tone some of you took or the broad assumptions some people made from a relatively small bit of information. I'd ask a question about taxes and accounting when hiring another pilot, but I'm worried I'll get yelled at for my book keeping practices ;)p

You realize you've justified driving over the speed limit the same way I was justifying flying two drones, right? You've used your own judgement to determine that under conditions, you can safely break the law. It's a very hypocritical argument.

I still feel under this specific scenario, I could operate the two drones since essentially I'm only going to be operating one at a time, since one of them will just be hovering in place. I think the risk would be acceptable given that there would only be two drones up at the same time for 3-4 minutes at most.

However, you can all calm down a little bit. I decided to ask the client this question and they would prefer having everything on the up and up, so I will be looking to hire a 2nd pilot if I get the job. I do appreciate the advice - although i don't appreciate the tone some of you took or the broad assumptions some people made from a relatively small bit of information. I'd ask a question about taxes and accounting when hiring another pilot, but I'm worried I'll get yelled at for my book keeping practices ;)p
Thank the almighty. Now please close this thread...
abandon thread.gif

I'm 144 miles from you. If everything is ok and on the up and up, I will travel for the right price.

I'm 144 miles from you. If everything is ok and on the up and up, I will travel for the right price.
Thanks - what would the right price be? It would basically be an all day thing, especially if you're 144 miles away. Although actual on-site time would be two 2 hour shifts. And do you have your own drone? if so, which one? Feel free to send me a direct message, since this probably somewhat off topic now, and might be considered advertising which I'm guessing is against the forum rules.

Thanks - what would the right price be? It would basically be an all day thing, especially if you're 144 miles away. Although actual on-site time would be two 2 hour shifts. And do you have your own drone? if so, which one? Feel free to send me a direct message, since this probably somewhat off topic now, and might be considered advertising which I'm guessing is against the forum rules.

It's not off topic and not against the rules. You're more "Networking" instead of advertising and trying to sell your goods. Take it to PM or discuss it openly here... either way is fine and up to you both.

Ok thanks. I seemed to have managed to annoy enough people without trying, i didn't want to break any forum rules to boot ;) I'm fine discussing it here if 401 wants, or in PM.

Reactions: BigAl07
PatR can explain more about “possibility of a frequency conflict generated by a passing vehicle that could interfere with the operation of your aircraft.”?

Pretty simple really. Radio transmission equipment is not limited to our drones. Anybody passing by can be using equipment that could be transmitting or radiating RFI on frequencies that can be a direct conflict or have a harmonic conflict with anything we are using. Shoot, some trucker could be passing by with his team partner cooking something in the sleeper microvave, which radiates 2.4 RFI. People now have WiFi in their cars that can conflict.

Under FCC law our equipment has to accept RFI, not generate, and there’s nothing to assure our equipment will continue to function correctly when impacted by RFI. So flying even a single drone in a location with a high volume of uncontrolled vehicular traffic is like a game of Russian Roulette, except every chamber in the cylinder is loaded with a different type of ammunition waiting for the right hammer to set it off instead of just one cylinder.

Reactions: Phaedrus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143