Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

You can fly a drone from inside a stationary car, correct?

RickMC

Reaction score
As long as you keep VLOS and abide by all other rules, it’s not a violation to fly from a stationary car, correct? I have a job that’s an automated mapping flight that’s going to take an hour. Obviously I’ll have to get out to swap batteries a few times, but I’d rather not have to stand for the entire hour. Only thing I can find in 107 references moving vehicles.

Last edited:
As long as you keep VLOS and abide by all other rules, it’s not a violation to fly from a stationary car, correct? I have a job that’s an automated mapping flight that’s going to take an hour. Obviously I’ll have to get out to swap batteries a few times, but I’d rather not have to stand for the entire hour. Only thing I can find in 107 references moving vehicles.
Of course you can.
You can't expect the legislation to list all the places you can fly from.
The reason for rule about a moving vehicle is puzzling.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I've spent several hours inside a heated/cooled car watching our sUAS complete automated missions. So long as you can maintain VLOS (and I would highly suggest being able to hear an approaching aircraft as well) you should be good to go.

Reactions: R Martin
Please correct me if I'm wrong. I thought the FAA rules say you can pilot from a moving vehicle, but you can't drive and fly at the same time. Someone else has to drive the car while the pilot flies the drone.

It goes without saying you can't drive and fly (how can you assure See & Avoid and drive safely? You can NOT) but here is how it's listed for reference:

You currently cannot fly a small UAS over anyone not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, or not inside a covered stationary vehicle. No operations from a moving vehicle are allowed unless you are flying over a sparsely populated area

The only thing about being in a vehicle while flying is that the metal could cause some interference with the wireless portion of it. There is nothing in the regulations that states that you cannot sit in a chair while you fly. I do that a lot. I cannot stand for a long period of time, so i get the drone in the air, then have a seat and watch it fly. the only limitation of sitting in a chair is what the site allows. If you are working on a construction site then you would have to follow their rules for safety reasons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM