Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

5 quick tips using drones in wedding events

Yuneec H520 - Is it true it does not give you battery level? I just heard this rumor. How would you know how much flight time is remaining without some kind of monitor?

It's not a true rumor. It does give the battery level but it is having problems indicating it due to variations. They'll fix it with some update.

Anyway, it can be calculated as it has always been done. With experience and a timer you calculate at low altitude, to avoid disasters, what is the total duration, and take into account the possible maneuvers you do. You land within a safety margin and measure the remaining voltage. You stretch the duration of the flight more and more until you find the point where you are comfortable knowing how you fly and that you will not run out of battery in full flight. This is how it was done when there were no such modern systems ;)

I recently did my sons wedding November 11 201 and post production using my 480H 4k, very windy that day. There was a separate photographer doing the stills.
I did all the post production including using the still to create a video format with music.
Nice slow cinematic moves. Would recommend tidying the edits a bit. For instance, start the second shot just before the lens flare to cut out the initial gimbal tilts and pans. Trim the second last shot before you just start to rise up and let the last shot do the pull back. All comes with practice.

Nice slow cinematic moves. Would recommend tidying the edits a bit. For instance, start the second shot just before the lens flare to cut out the initial gimbal tilts and pans. Trim the second last shot before you just start to rise up and let the last shot do the pull back. All comes with practice.
Good advice, thanks.:cool:

I know this is a very open ended question...but whats the going rate for Drone Operators at weddings?? Are you charging by the hour or throwing it in a bundled price. I know theres a 1000 ways to do this - but are you charging more than photographer/ ground videographer? We shot at a wedding this weekend ( January in Chicago weee), we lucked out weather wise and got some great footage, we charged about 10% more for the operator and added in insurance ( and a kick for processing). Gave the couple 5 hours of coverage ( meaning we were there - we shot about 1.5 worth of footage.) Also the wedding guests LOVED the drone, we didnt fly during the ceremony, but got 40 people to volunteer for a "aerial heart". So what is a drone videographer/photographer worth???

I would assume it depends on your experience. Can you do post production, this would help? I can go out and most likely ask for $250 to $500.00. I am capable doing post work. Now I just have to find that wedding photographer who doesn't own a drone.:rolleyes:

We are getting about 400 a wedding, providing 4 batteries worth of coverage, stills and video. I do post production ( which is my first love...drones fastly becoming my 3rd...my vette is 2nd LOL) so I am good but drone gigs have all been no post just capture.

Reactions: AH-1G
AH-1G: Thanks for posting the video from your son's wedding. I really like it. Do you know what caused the screen to go green at one point in the video?

Everyone: Regarding the question of noise, anyone flying a P3P? I'm curious of what altitude they've found best for capturing the best images, but being as quiet as possible. I don't have my 107 yet, but did have one call asking if I offered drone footage for weddings.

i go about 30 feet up depending on site...lets you see some faces and provides nice background

i go about 30 feet up depending on site...lets you see some faces and provides nice background
Thanks... BTW, I'm glad you asked the question about pricing. I recognize it's different for every market, but I was looking for more information. It's rare that I find information on websites of local competitors. Do you have employees or friends as observers? I'm thinking through how I go about having or paying someone as an observer and accounting for that in my pricing. As the only photographer in my business, I currently do sessions, weddings, etc on my own.

AH-1G: Thanks for posting the video from your son's wedding. I really like it. Do you know what caused the screen to go green at one point in the video?

Everyone: Regarding the question of noise, anyone flying a P3P? I'm curious of what altitude they've found best for capturing the best images, but being as quiet as possible. I don't have my 107 yet, but did have one call asking if I offered drone footage for weddings.
Green, at what time frame. I never saw any green even from my original?

John, I have a P3 SE. I haven't done any work yet, or gatherings such as weddings etc, but as Ive been doing my own flying from my steps Ive been mindful of how noisy it is and if neighbors are bothered by it.
I would say at 30-40 feet it is still plenty noisy, but height/distance combined, it probably isnt real bothersome at about 40 ft high/ 80-100 ft away.

Unless your B&G are fully aware of the noise issues and you have attempted to talk them out of it, I would suggest not being in the air during the ceremony. The audio issues are just not worth the headache unless they insist on it. Removing the noise of drone props in post is painstaking. My last B&G were fine with it as I visited their home prior to the event (held there) and test flew so they knew exactly what to expect.
Otherwise, aerial B-roll and establishing shots are the rage in the wedding industry and will only enhance your work if you're already an established photog/videographer.

Reactions: John Githens

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM