Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

5 quick tips using drones in wedding events

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ok, so I am a wedding videographer and here is what I have learned over the years using drones.

#1 You can charge extra money to the B&G for use of the drone.
#2 Always contact the venue in advance weeks or months before you fly. They may want a copy of insurance waivers etc. (better be safe than sorry, you dont want them to come out and shut you down.)
#3 Never fly during a ceremony.. Unless you can fly at 250ft with an uber zoom lens... Its not worth it....
#4 Always make sure your firmware is up to date, or check for upcoming updates the night before. (You do not want to get stalled by an update that takes 30 mins to complete)
#5 Never fly inside a venue, it may look super cool, but is the risk worth it? Just think of everything that can go wrong..

I disagree with #4. Last thing you want to do is update the night before and stumble across a bug when you're due to be flying. I'd say if there's a new firmware update, make sure you've tested it, tried it and read all the release notes well in advance of flying.

3: I would really love to see the footage of the ceremony from the guy who found that out the hard way. I assume it's filled with a lot of angry glances towards the noisy drone! LOL. I think there's other options for that one, mounting a camera up high, motorized zip line, etc.

5: Yes, very very good point, we've seen the news stories of what's happened when people have tried this. Not good at all.

Good write up and keep sharing the tips!

I recently did my sons wedding November 11 201 and post production using my 480H 4k, very windy that day. There was a separate photographer doing the stills.
I did all the post production including using the still to create a video format with music.

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneMinnesota
A big slo-mo wide shot as the bride and groom walk back down the aisle right after the ceremony could be beautiful. You'd have to take off far enough away from the ceremony to be unobtrusive. Timing is everything and the location has to be right.

A big slo-mo wide shot as the bride and groom walk back down the aisle right after the ceremony could be beautiful. You'd have to take off far enough away from the ceremony to be unobtrusive. Timing is everything and the location has to be right.
Drones make to much noise.

Reactions: DroneMinnesota
You would be the best one to ask, did you feel the noise from the drone was obtrusive to the guests? Also, were you using an ND filter. I'm a bit disappointed with the type of flares that I get with my Polar Pro ND's. Nice footage by the way.

Reactions: AH-1G
You would be the best one to ask, did you feel the noise from the drone was obtrusive to the guests? Also, were you using an ND filter. I'm a bit disappointed with the type of flares that I get with my Polar Pro ND's. Nice footage by the way.
No ND filters at the time, but I liked the rainbow effect on the Groom and Bride. Guests didn't mind, in fact some were oblivious it was there. Since then I have learned how to use certain controls for smoother flights.

Last edited:
Good video. Hold the wind tight :)

In any case, it is true that the H520 at a height of 5 metres is hardly audible.

Ok, so I am a wedding videographer and here is what I have learned over the years using drones.

#1 You can charge extra money to the B&G for use of the drone.
#2 Always contact the venue in advance weeks or months before you fly. They may want a copy of insurance waivers etc. (better be safe than sorry, you dont want them to come out and shut you down.)
#3 Never fly during a ceremony.. Unless you can fly at 250ft with an uber zoom lens... Its not worth it....
#4 Always make sure your firmware is up to date, or check for upcoming updates the night before. (You do not want to get stalled by an update that takes 30 mins to complete)
#5 Never fly inside a venue, it may look super cool, but is the risk worth it? Just think of everything that can go wrong..
#1 What do you mean by B&G?

Good video. Hold the wind tight :)

In any case, it is true that the H520 at a height of 5 meters is hardly audible.
thanks,
Not sure about the decibel of the 520 . However as you know now the H+ is coming out being quieter and bigger engines, that most likely will be my next purchase, as long as the camera comes with it?

I also have the same drone and we are together in an H520 forum. I'm sorry I didn't realize that here we are talking about all the drones in general.

Anyway, @AH-1G I'm sure it's the same propellers and engines and everything. They are exactly the same but with less functionality the announced H PLUS. The quietest comparison is with the H480.

Reactions: AH-1G

I will second what AH-1G said, I shoot weddings frequently and the guests have never said anything. The most common problem I run into is the guests start hovering around me asking questions while I am trying to fly. But yeah during the actual ceremony, when they are saying their vows I always have the bird grounded.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM