Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

A Must Have For All LiPo Battery Owners !!

View attachment 1875

A Class D extinguisher at the recharging station makes a lot of sense....
I cannot argue with that . I will go so far as to say that not every one will be able to afford class D set up .
Started this thread due to the products affordability and portability .
Sort of a mass appeal .

I can not argue with that . I will go so far as to say that not every one will be able to afford this set up .
Started this thread due to the products affordability and portability .
Sort of a mass appeal .

The extinguisher ran around 200.00 if I remember correctly. The extinguisher will smother the fire vs starving the fire of oxygen temporarily to flare back up. Failing that, it will give the fire department enough time to arrive and do their magic.

200.0 is impressive for that level of protection .
Believe it or not, I ran across this product in my Facebook feed .
Yep.... for once a an actual post with useful information .
Motivated by Facebook .
I would never have believed it without experiencing this first hand .

The extinguisher ran around 200.00 if I remember correctly. The extinguisher will smother the fire vs starving the fire of oxygen temporarily to flare back up. Failing that, it will give the fire department enough time to arrive and do their magic.
Agreed, you can get a small Class D extinguisher for a great price. Definitely recommend having one on hand in case of an emergency.

Read this on the internet so it must be accurate...

"For best results dowsing a Li-ion fire, use a foam extinguisher, CO2, ABC dry chemical, powdered graphite, copper powder or soda (sodium carbonate) as you would extinguish other combustible fires. Reserve the Class D extinguishers for lithium-metal fires only."

"So, what kind of fire extinguisher should you use in this scenario? Lithium-ion batteries are considered a Class B fire, so a standard ABC or BC dry chemical fire extinguisher should be used. Class B is the classification given to flammable liquids. Lithium-ion batteries contain liquid electrolytes that provide a conductive pathway, so the batteries receive a B fire classification.

Beating a dead horse...

"So what is the recommended protection? This is a difficult question to answer and involves some planning and
decision on the part of the installer and the end-user. There have been many studies done on the proper protection for lithium-ion batteries. However, any large scale fire testing that would duplicate the storage or transportation of large quantities of lithium-ion batteries has not – to our knowledge – been conducted. Lithium batteries require a Class D extinguisher, preferably our B571 which uses a copper agent specifically for lithium fires. However, a Class D extinguisher may not have any effect on lithium-ion batteries. Unlike lead acid or gell-cell batteries, when a lithium -ion battery breeches the enclosure the electrolyte released is flammable. Based upon testing by other parties that we have reviewed and MSDS from lithium-ion battery manufacturers, fires involving lithium-ion batteries have been successfully extinguished using ABC dry chemical, water, water mist and clean agent including Halotron I. The MSDS sheet often says to use water or “an appropriate extinguishing agent for the surroundings”. While ABC dry chemical may be effective, is it the agent of choice if aircraft or electronic equipment is in the vicinity? Water or water mist may also be effective, but again, what is the surrounding environment and how will that affect the extinguisher (freezing) and adjacent equipment. Halotron I is effective and could be the best choice when considering the factors above."

Extinguishing Lithium-ion Battery Fires

Beating a dead horse...

"So what is the recommended protection? This is a difficult question to answer and involves some planning and
decision on the part of the installer and the end-user. There have been many studies done on the proper protection for lithium-ion batteries. However, any large scale fire testing that would duplicate the storage or transportation of large quantities of lithium-ion batteries has not – to our knowledge – been conducted. Lithium batteries require a Class D extinguisher, preferably our B571 which uses a copper agent specifically for lithium fires. However, a Class D extinguisher may not have any effect on lithium-ion batteries. Unlike lead acid or gell-cell batteries, when a lithium -ion battery breeches the enclosure the electrolyte released is flammable. Based upon testing by other parties that we have reviewed and MSDS from lithium-ion battery manufacturers, fires involving lithium-ion batteries have been successfully extinguished using ABC dry chemical, water, water mist and clean agent including Halotron I. The MSDS sheet often says to use water or “an appropriate extinguishing agent for the surroundings”. While ABC dry chemical may be effective, is it the agent of choice if aircraft or electronic equipment is in the vicinity? Water or water mist may also be effective, but again, what is the surrounding environment and how will that affect the extinguisher (freezing) and adjacent equipment. Halotron I is effective and could be the best choice when considering the factors above."

Extinguishing Lithium-ion Battery Fires

I'll be sure to forward the Google article on to our state fire marshal, which is who required us to obtain a Class D extinguisher. Thank you.

My understanding is that lithum-ion batteries supply their own oxygen via a chemical reaction and don't require oxygen in the atmosphere to burn.

"Lithium-ion battery fires do not require oxygen to burn and can be considered by nature a chemical fire."

Lithium-ion Fires

Reactions: PatR
Read this on the internet so it must be accurate...

"For best results dowsing a Li-ion fire, use a foam extinguisher, CO2, ABC dry chemical, powdered graphite, copper powder or soda (sodium carbonate) as you would extinguish other combustible fires. Reserve the Class D extinguishers for lithium-metal fires only."

"So, what kind of fire extinguisher should you use in this scenario? Lithium-ion batteries are considered a Class B fire, so a standard ABC or BC dry chemical fire extinguisher should be used. Class B is the classification given to flammable liquids. Lithium-ion batteries contain liquid electrolytes that provide a conductive pathway, so the batteries receive a B fire classification.
"
"No good deed goes unpunished" .

Yes, I did not perform a military investigation into this product .
I simply posted this in a hurry to make people who are not aware of this product , aware of it .
Being my own site admin steals away tons of my research time .
Your response does compel me to ask this question here though.

When will we fight the urge to provoke one another over semantics ?
Are we all so unhappy that we need to call each other out online, and in public, just to make ourselves feel and look better ?

It really fells like our country as a whole has been looking to the government , specifically the president( Whom ever that is at the time ) to correct and solve all of our problems .

That is simply impossible .
" For The By The People "
We are " The People " .
Let's hold ourselves to a higher standard is what I am getting at .

We all swim in the same fish bowl .
We only have ourselves to blame when all that we see ahead of us is feces .

2edgesword
I have found a little more info about this product .

This is in no way the end all be all of fire protection solutions .
This product just looked like an affordable way to mitigate any damage .
You know, possibly keep the entire house from burning down .

I will admit that I laughed out loud when I came across Nuclear Power Plant in the information below . :D

Elide Fire Self Activation Fire Extinguisher Ball
Automatically Activated
No Need For Annual/Periodical Maintenance Activities
Lightweight And Comfortable To Use
Non-Toxic And Environmentally Friendly
Emits A Loud Noise During Activation Which Acts As A Fire Alarm
Suitable For All Types Of Fires (Class-A, B, C, and E)

The Elide Fire Ball is an innovative, pyrotechnic, fire extinguishing device, weighing a mere 3.5lbs, with an effective extinguishing range of up to 50 sqft. It can also withhold heat of up to 200 degrees.

Flammable Liquid Areas
Engine Compartments
Server Rooms
Electrical Rooms
Engine Compartments
Nuclear power plant
Electrical Cabinets

EASY TO USE
SELF - ACTIVATING
NO INSPECTION REQUIRED 6 YAER
EASY INSTALLATION
NO FALSE ALARMS
HUMAN SAFE
NO FALSE ALARMS
USA PATENT NO. US 6796382
COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT

Manual Usage
Throwing Fire Extinguishing Ball
into the fire When a fire erupts, take the nearest available Fire Extinguishing Ball and simply throw it into the fire. The ball will naturally fall into the base of the flame, where it is most needed, and activate within 3 seconds. No need to pull pins, or to get close to the fire. No special training or skills required.

Automatic Usage
Self Activating Mount: "One of the great benefits of Fire Extinguishing Ball is the fact that it can self activate in the presence of fire when no-one is present. If positioned in the appropriate high-risk area where most fires are likely to start, it will self activate upon reaching the appropriate temperature and extinguish the fire."

"
"No good deed goes unpunished" .

Yes, I did not perform a military investigation into this product .
I simply posted this in a hurry to make people who are not aware of this product , aware of it .
Being my own site admin steals away tons of my research time .
Your response does compel me to ask this question here though.

When will we fight the urge to provoke one another over semantics ?

I have no dog in this fight, just doing what little research I can do on my own. When someone says a class D extinguisher is what is to be used on a lithium-ion battery fire I'm going to try and 2nd, 3rd source the reliability of that information. In this case there are multiple sources that A, B, C extinguishers should be used to deal with Lithium-ion battery fire. This isn't a matter of semantics. Either we're dealing with a lithium metal fire or a lithium-ion fire where lithium-ion polymer is used (batteries). The literature system to make a distinction between the two so it's not a matter of semantics.

Reactions: tleedom
Wait a minute. You didn't say anything about nuclear power plants before. I definitely need a set now.

The old, when I don't have a reasonable, logical, factual, rational counter to a statement, my comments degenerate into meaningless drivel.

Don’t forget to buy the $250.00 fire cabinet as well. Those on a tighter budget can go to the garden section of the hardware store and obtain a large, fired clay planter for $15.00 that does just as good a job.

Reactions: R.Perry and tleedom
Seriously, that carbon fiber blanket I posted up above can easily contain a Lipo fire, they burn well below 1800° and all you have to do is wrap up the battery in that blanket and carry it outside. Not a bad deal for less than $13

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN