Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

About starting a business

R.Perry

Reaction score
So many come to this site wanting to start a drone-based business. Many here share their experiences and knowledge. What would be nice to see is a thread on starting a drone-based business business.

It would be easy for someone to spend a great deal of money on a drone or drones and then not be able to make enough justify the cost of the equipment. There is a big difference between having a drone as a hobby and having a drone or drones for a business.

We here it all the time that the first thought seems to be real estate, and as many of us know it is one of the toughest markets to make any money in.

Construction documentation has great potential but, in most cases, they want people to have a basic understanding of construction and how a large construction company operates. Same with cell tower, power line inspections. Anyone hiring a drone pilot most likely would like that person to have a basic understanding of their business.

Over the past three years I have been asked so many times, “how did you get into this business?” I contracted to a company well established in the construction documentation business. My experience as a home inspector opened that door.

A friend of mine daughter graduated from CA State Monterey Bay Cinematic Arts & Technology a couple of years ago. She now also holds a 107 license and is employed full time in film and media production.

If I were a young person I think that would be a great education and opportunity to put drones to work as we are now seeing in the film making industry all the time. I understand the money can be particularly good once a person is established in the industry.

So, those of you that are knowledgeable about business startups it would be nice if you would share your wisdom.

Thanks for a great topic. I hope those with experience share some of it to help those of us who are just starting out. I am starting an LLC to provide drone aerial services, and trying to decide which market to get into and how to get into it seems to be my biggest hurdle.

Reactions: R.Perry
What you’ve said makes a lot of sense to me. Coupling an expertise in construction, real estate, agriculture, photography, etc. with piloting a drone sounds like a more streamlined way to enter the business. Someone familiar with cell tower construction would probably be in a better position to get a job taking video/photographs of cell towers versus someone with no knowledge of what they are looking at viewing a cell tower.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143