Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

ADS-B

Do you mean ADS-B "Out"? You may want to contact your local FSDO because I "think" (you'll need to verify) that right now for Part 107 and (can't remember the Ag #) ops it's not allowed. At one point (and it's been a couple of years ago so it may have changed) ADS-B out was restricted on UAS because of the increase it can put on the existing system if UAS start adding it.

If you're operating outside of Part 107 you may have a COA etc that requires it but that's a lot bigger than the scope of most of the members here on this forum.

Do let us know what you find out either way.

Do you mean ADS-B "Out"? You may want to contact your local FSDO because I "think" (you'll need to verify) that right now for Part 107 and (can't remember the Ag #) ops it's not allowed. At one point (and it's been a couple of years ago so it may have changed) ADS-B out was restricted on UAS because of the increase it can put on the existing system if UAS start adding it.

If you're operating outside of Part 107 you may have a COA etc that requires it but that's a lot bigger than the scope of most of the members here on this forum.

I agree. My understanding is the FAA does not plan to use, nor do they want UAV folks using ADS-B for commercial or recreational small UAVs. The smallest, least expensive, FAA-certified ADS-B out device I’ve seen runs about $2,000, so it seems like it would break the bank for most UAV pilots (including me).

Reactions: BigAl07

I ran across this last Friday:

14 CFR--PART 107

View Printed Federal Register page 86 FR 4513 in PDF format.

Amendment(s) published January 15, 2021, in 86 FR 4513

Effective Dates: Mar. 16, 2021

25. Add §107.52 and new §107.53 to read as follows:

§107.52 ATC transponder equipment prohibition.

Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system under this part with a transponder on.

§107.53 Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) Out prohibition.

Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system under this part with ADS-B Out equipment in transmit mode.

I ran across this last Friday:

14 CFR--PART 107

View Printed Federal Register page 86 FR 4513 in PDF format.

Amendment(s) published January 15, 2021, in 86 FR 4513

Effective Dates: Mar. 16, 2021

25. Add §107.52 and new §107.53 to read as follows:

§107.52 ATC transponder equipment prohibition.

Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system under this part with a transponder on.

§107.53 Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) Out prohibition.

Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate a small unmanned aircraft system under this part with ADS-B Out equipment in transmit mode.

Perfect answer. Also for manned flight should be above 400ft. If you are going to be flying in the area for a long period of time one might consider a Drone NOTAM or monitor frequency for the area and alert local operators to "please maintain minimum 500ft altitude for drone operations avoidance" Note that unless FCC license your not supposed to transmit of Air Band frequencies.

Reactions: BigAl07
[You are] not supposed to transmit of Air Band frequencies.
True, unless it is a life or death emergency, in which case you can transmit on any radio/frequency, even if not licensed. A low flying helicopter inspecting power lines while entering your area of operation would be such a situation. However, given how quickly such a situation would play out, you may need to do something other than fumble with a radio.

On a couple of my waivers I put down that the aircraft had an ADS-B receiver as part of risk mitigation processes. On every one of them I received the reminder that ADS-B rx is fine but UAS cannot transmit ADS-B information. The actual statute was posted above.

ADS-B is prohibited for use as Drone Remote ID. As per FAA and FCC regulations as they feel the introduction of that many aircraft closely together would overrun the system and cause it to crash. No pun intended.

Mike D

ADS-B is prohibited for use as Drone Remote ID. As per FAA and FCC regulations as they feel the introduction of that many aircraft closely together would overrun the system and cause it to crash. No pun intended.

Mike D
If the system is that fragile then the FAA should limit the number of new aircraft coming online as well. Oh wait, that would make sense. Bad idea.

If the system is that fragile then the FAA should limit the number of new aircraft coming online as well. Oh wait, that would make sense. Bad idea.
Well the number of NEW UAS is quadruple that of what the total number of manned aircraft are I think. so that is what they did, they limited the new aircraft using the ADS-B system. UAS can use a new system then they can integrate a feed from the new low altitude system to augment the ADS-B information when needed on the back end for manned flight if they want. The ADS-B system was designed for a different application with features that allow aircraft to talk to each other over long distances without the need for ATC ground systems. This was a real need for oceanic operations and areas with low radar abilities.

It will all work out in time. I think personally it was a good play to separate the two. They can easily be merged on the back end and not putting ADS-B out on all the aircraft it will make it much cheaper for UAS operators and easier.

Personal Opinion of Mike D

Well the number of NEW UAS is quadruple that of what the total number of manned aircraft are I think. so that is what they did, they limited the new aircraft using the ADS-B system. UAS can use a new system then they can integrate a feed from the new low altitude system to augment the ADS-B information when needed on the back end for manned flight if they want. The ADS-B system was designed for a different application with features that allow aircraft to talk to each other over long distances without the need for ATC ground systems. This was a real need for oceanic operations and areas with low radar abilities.

It will all work out in time. I think personally it was a good play to separate the two. They can easily be merged on the back end and not putting ADS-B out on all the aircraft it will make it much cheaper for UAS operators and easier.

Personal Opinion of Mike D
Hoping I can get grandfathered in instead of denied.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM