Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Advertising to Cruise Ships

EanTKilla

Reaction score
A guy contracted me to fly advertisements from my Phantom 4 near cruise ships leaving port in Cape Canaveral. Does anyone know the legality of this, and if I'm allowed to fly near cruise ships/ how close I'm allowed to operate. I'd be operating in an area in uncontrolled public airspace.

A guy contracted me to fly advertisements from my Phantom 4 near cruise ships leaving port in Cape Canaveral. Does anyone know the legality of this, and if I'm allowed to fly near cruise ships/ how close I'm allowed to operate. I'd be operating in an area in uncontrolled public airspace.
Ports will be subject to Homeland Security control since they will (usually) control international movements of both cargo and people.
It will be classed as sensitive area and flying around one can easily land you in jail.
There is heightened security due to terrorism threat so attempting to fly one is ill advised.
How can you say it's uncontrolled airspace?
Port Canaveral will put you slap bang into KXMR/KTTS which are Air Force Bases!!!!

There is additionally the added risk of ocean going radar (although this should be deactivated within the port).

Are you part 107 certified?

Last edited:
If you're flying FOR the cruise line and in coordination with the ship crew then I don't think there's anything else to worry about so long as you're in G airspace with no other flight restrictions in place (TFRs etc)

What kind of banner will you be using? will your drone be able to lift taht extra weight and fly without complications? How fast will your battery drain.
I would practice out an an open field first using what you are going to utilize.
Hate to see your craft fall into the water.
Wind will be a big factor in stabilization.

Reactions: PatR
What kind of banner will you be using? will your drone be able to lift taht extra weight and fly without complications? How fast will your battery drain.
I would practice out an an open field first using what you are going to utilize.
Hate to see your craft fall into the water.
Wind will be a big factor in stabilization.
I'm assuming the OP means, by advertising, video content for commercial purposes, not acting as a tow plane. That can of worms, once the equipment can manage a banner big enough to be seen from the ground, has yet to be opened. A lot of Cub and 152 pilots might not take a liking to this idea!

You’ll need a lot of manual waivers from FAA and USAF. I hope the mission is well paid and the terms include something just for trying to get those, because it’s unlikely. LAANC show them as no-fly.

Reactions: AH-1G

Every social media influencer knows that every establishment wants free advertisements. I have a friend that do this on Instagram, and has gotten free cruise amongst other perks.

You can hit two birds with one stone on this. My advice is to contact the PR or media of the said cruise ship and tell them of your intent and do a little bit on the side for them.

I have done somewhat of the same thing. I worked for the Lyons Development for construction work, and when phase one was over, it was turned over the the Turing. I showed the media and PR team my drone shots, they liked it, and I hooked my friends who has a videography team and studio to do the rest. At first they did a pro bono for social media awareness and ended up, with a contract, and I collected a percentage or finders fee.

If you're flying FOR the cruise line and in coordination with the ship crew then I don't think there's anything else to worry about so long as you're in G airspace with no other flight restrictions in place (TFRs etc)

They definitely do not want anyone operating around Cape Canaveral or the air force base; both have 0 grids. You also cannot approach any military vessel without prior authorization.Capture.JPG

They definitely do not want anyone operating around Cape Canaveral or the air force base; both have 0 grids. You also cannot approach any military vessel without prior authorization.View attachment 1496

In other words... there are a LOT of Flight Restrictions in the area... not to mention the aspect of flying near a Military Ship (BOOM... where did Phantom go?)

In other words... there are a LOT of Flight Restrictions in the area... not to mention the aspect of flying near a Military Ship (BOOM... where did Phantom go?)

Apparently anything within the 12 mile limit is frowned upon as far as UAS operations goes. Learned something new today. Does that mean I can go home now?Capture.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164