Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Advice and critique on first customer video

Reaction score
Looking for some critique and advice on this, my first video produced for a customer. I went to this job at the request or a real estate agent on behalf of the farm owner who wanted some drone shots of their recently expanded property. I was expecting it to be my typical photography package. The agent said to go ahead with any other custom work the owner wanted as well when I get there. So the owner wanted a full video tour of the property, which caught me by surprise. I am not very experienced in videography, and done never anything lengthy or for a customer. Any videos I've made in the past have been purely for hobby purposes, only a few minutes, and had a defined target, like combine harvesting wheat or something.

Drone is an Autel Evo 2 Pro. All of this was shot in 4K 30fps, onboard color, using precision flight mode. Used all 4 of my batteries down to failsafe getting all this. Edited in Premiere. I have never done color grading on video before, so I wasn't about to make this my learning experience. I shoot photos exposure bracketed in raw log color and use lightroom to grade. But video is another animal. My major accomplishment was editing the cuts with beats in the music. Beyond that, a little over and/or underwhelmed.

Last edited:
Looking for some critique and advice on this, my first video produced for a customer. I went to this job at the request or a real estate agent on behalf of the farm owner who wanted some drone shots of their recently expanded property. I was expecting it to be my typical photography package. The agent said to go ahead with any other custom work the owner wanted as well when I get there. So the owner wanted a full video tour of the property, which caught me by surprise. I am not very experienced in videography, and done never anything lengthy or for a customer. Any videos I've made in the past have been purely for hobby purposes, only a few minutes, and had a defined target, like combine harvesting wheat or something.

Drone is an Autel Evo 2 Pro. All of this was shot in 4K 30fps, onboard color, using precision flight mode. Used all 4 of my batteries down to failsafe getting all this. Edited in Premiere. I have never done color grading on video before, so I wasn't about to make this my learning experience. I shoot photos exposure bracketed in raw log color and use lightroom to grade. But video is another animal. My major accomplishment was editing the cuts with beats in the music. Beyond that, a little over and/or underwhelmed.

Its a good starting point. Keep at it and learn more and more and your creativity and skills will increase.

Nice job, and I know how nerve racking it can be when the scope of the job changes on the fly. Couple tips that helped me. Keep clip length around 3-4 seconds unless it is the opening or closing shot. You have plenty of great footage in there. Don't be afraid to cut what you thought was a great 14 second clip into multiple clips to sprinkle in throughout the presentation. I started out doing promotional videos for Realtors. In my case they wanted to capture the audience and entice them to want to see more. In that case, my videos were no longer than one minute. You can also experiment with matching clips to your music. I used to use Beat Mix. Good luck and keep at it

Reactions: CoreySnipes
Footage looks great. I would have edited it by starting with a high altitude shot and then go in for closer stuff to show detail and do that in each area or highlight of the property.

You had some very good stuff in there but also had some spots where the best subject of the footage was blocked by little trees and there are some other areas I would have cut a lot shorter. I think it would be interesting to get a few people to take that footage and chop it to see different perspectives. Without that I am guessing I would be able to cut it down to about 5 minutes. Otherwise, great start!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry woodham