Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

After incident investigations

rvrrat14

Reaction score
Recently flew two different structure fires. One was in the country, the other in the city limits.

Was initially asked to fly the forest for any embers floating into forest area. We are very dry right now! Nothing found.

However, while on scene I did I take some direct overhead photos and perspectives of the structure. These have proved to be priceless for post scene analysis from our command staff and investigators.

The other structure I filmed was for overwatch during the fire. Knocked down quickly and some shots were the main side of the fire, which turned out to be invaluable as well. Investigations and analysis ongoing.

Our folks are really seeing the benefits of a sUAS in fire service! It is gratifying to me to be able to provide a service and become a resource and a more frequent call on the radio; “Let’s get the drone up.”

That's interesting, seems different locations have different attitudes. CDF (California Division of Forestry) in my area doesn't want drones in fire areas because of how low the tankers are flying. If the spotter spots a drone they call off the tankers and Helicopters. Like they say, different strokes for different folks. It is obvious as more agencies see and learn the value of professional UAV aircraft and pilots, I believe there will be a lot more acceptance.

Reactions: rvrrat14
@rvrrat14 if you want to REALLY impress them when doing "over watch" and after incident work start creating 360's for them. They can rotate around and ZOOM IN to a huge degree. Our Departments LOVE this feature.

Reactions: rvrrat14
That's interesting, seems different locations have different attitudes. CDF (California Division of Forestry) in my area doesn't want drones in fire areas because of how low the tankers are flying. If the spotter spots a drone they call off the tankers and Helicopters. Like they say, different strokes for different folks. It is obvious as more agencies see and learn the value of professional UAV aircraft and pilots, I believe there will be a lot more acceptance.
Our state forest service has the same attitude. I;ve flown with helos dropping water (not with forest service) and all on same freq. NO PROBLEM. Abide by the rules/regs.

Last edited:
@rvrrat14 if you want to REALLY impress them when doing "over watch" and after incident work start creating 360's for them. They can rotate around and ZOOM IN to a huge degree. Our Departments LOVE this feature.
Yeah. I;ve thought this, but the last incident was small and short lived; contained to one area. I’ll defintly try it on a larger/longer duration scene next time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM