Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Airmap vs Sectionals vs UAS Facility Map Confusion

LeafPeeper

Reaction score
Hi folks -
Newly Part 107 certified pilot here. LOVED all the learning for my test, and I'm having no problem reading the sectionals. However, at least in my area, Airmap has moved to using the new FAA UAS Facility maps rather than what presumably was their version of the VFR sectionals. That said, I now have a discrepancy that I don't know how to handle. I'm wondering if you guys might be able to give me some pointers.

Near my local, fairly large airport, both in Airmap and on the VFR sectionals, there used to be some Class E rectangular extensions at the surface that extended several miles beyond the outer Class C ring to the south, the southeast and a small one to the northwest. These areas are no longer depicted in Airmap, but they are still depicted on the VFR sectionals and the FAA UAS Facility maps (as Class E2). However in the Facility maps, there are no height limit designations or instructions like there are for the Class C areas - just shaded rectangles. Any ideas on what procedures we should be using there for Part 107 flights? Do we need to request clearance?

FWIW, there is a comment in the Part 107 study guide that states that 'in most cases, a remote pilot will not need ATC authorization to operate in Class E airspace', but I assumed that was because in *most* cases Class E starts at 700 or 1200 feet, and we're limited to 400 feet anyway. I found no similar statement in the PHAK. It seemed to me that we'd still need clearance for any Class E airspace at the surface. Given that Airmap doesn't even depict these areas near me now, I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!!
LP

Hi folks -
Newly Part 107 certified pilot here. LOVED all the learning for my test, and I'm having no problem reading the sectionals. However, at least in my area, Airmap has moved to using the new FAA UAS Facility maps rather than what presumably was their version of the VFR sectionals. That said, I now have a discrepancy that I don't know how to handle. I'm wondering if you guys might be able to give me some pointers.

Near my local, fairly large airport, both in Airmap and on the VFR sectionals, there used to be some Class E rectangular extensions at the surface that extended several miles beyond the outer Class C ring to the south, the southeast and a small one to the northwest. These areas are no longer depicted in Airmap, but they are still depicted on the VFR sectionals and the FAA UAS Facility maps (as Class E2). However in the Facility maps, there are no height limit designations or instructions like there are for the Class C areas - just shaded rectangles. Any ideas on what procedures we should be using there for Part 107 flights? Do we need to request clearance?

FWIW, there is a comment in the Part 107 study guide that states that 'in most cases, a remote pilot will not need ATC authorization to operate in Class E airspace', but I assumed that was because in *most* cases Class E starts at 700 or 1200 feet, and we're limited to 400 feet anyway. I found no similar statement in the PHAK. It seemed to me that we'd still need clearance for any Class E airspace at the surface. Given that Airmap doesn't even depict these areas near me now, I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!!
LP

First off, rely on the sectionals and not an app. There was a reason you were required to learn how to read one. Use that knowledge. It is straight from the horses mouth (FAA) and not second-hand information that may or may not be accurate. The Facilities map is also straight from the FAA and can be trusted. It details the maximum ceiling that can be flown in that section with a COA or waiver without additional paperwork to deviate.

If the Class E airspace extends to the surface than you need to request permission to operate within it. If it does not, then Class E airspace begins at 700 feet AGL up to 1200 feet AGL. The max altitude you can fly legally without a waiver is 400 feet AGL so you do not have to worry about it. If the airspace does extend to the surface you need to file for a COA (certificate of authorization) through the Drone Portal and/or LAANC; depending upon the area you are in.

Best advise is ditch Airmap and get used to reading sectionals. Its free and its official. If you are lucky enough to be served by LAANC then there are a number of providers that offer the service for free.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks. Maybe I wasn't really clear. I never planned to just accept Airmap. Sectionals are fine, but you really can't request LAANC clearance from a downloaded TIFF or PDF. I would rather use sites that reference the official FAA sources - like the FAA UAS Facilities maps - and allow for LAANC submissions. The problem is that the official Facilities maps aren't providing any height restrictions or instructions in these Class E areas like they do for the Class C areas of the airport. I take it that means I will need to resort to manual requests?

LP

If you are talking about class E extensions abutting Class C,D or Surface Class E airports, then you are NOT restricted by their boundary. There was confusion about this and Scott Gardner of the FAA clarified this in a memorandum. (see below)

You can create a free Skyward account to be able to access the LAANC system. Airmap has a hidden agenda and should be avoided.

If you didn't know about it, you can look at the UAS Facility Maps here: ArcGIS Web Application

2.JPG classEextensions.png

Reactions: R Martin
PERFECT! That's what I needed, Dave. That's exactly the situation I'm questioning. For the record, it's BTV that I'm interested in. Here's what it looks like in Airmap:
Here's what it looks like in the FAA UAS Facility maps:
And here's the sectional chart. I added blue arrows to highlight the area of interest:

Thanks for the pointers. I started using the ArcGIS site a while back, and the lack of clarity in this area is actually what prompted my original question. As you can see, there's no numbers at all in the Class E extension areas. I've already dumped Airmap based on this and other comments I've seen in other threads - so I'm using my Skyward account now.

Thanks again for your help!
LP

You're welcome.

Also on this subject, any area that is included in the Facility Map grid but outside of the actual airspace depicted on the sectional is NOT controlled. It is just a matter of them having a square over what is usually a curved airspace line. They are not telling you that the controlled airspace is larger or a different shape than depicted on the sectional.

You're welcome.

Also on this subject, any area that is included in the Facility Map grid but outside of the actual airspace depicted on the sectional is NOT controlled. It is just a matter of them having a square over what is usually a curved airspace line. They are not telling you that the controlled airspace is larger or a different shape than depicted on the sectional.
Actually, Dave, I'd advise caution on that point as what is or is not included may be subject to interpretation by individuals within the FAA and from one FISDO to another.

Case in point, I recently received a 107.41 Wide Area Airspace Authorization for a local DoD facility in which I was instructed (mandated, not suggested) to utilize the UASFM grids for coordinating controlled airspace operations & altitude limitations with Base Ops and ATC.

The difference in the two depiction systems is understandable if we remember that the original "circles & keyholes" was developed for an environment where flight below 500' AGL was seen as transitional (i.e., landing and takeoff) and the keyhole extensions to the circle where an excellent means of adding further separation (and increased safety) between IFR and VFR traffic. I suspect that the greater area of the UASFM grid system may be intended as an added safety buffer between transitioning manned aircraft and sUAS too.

Actually, Dave, I'd advise caution on that point as what is or is not included may be subject to interpretation by individuals within the FAA and from one FISDO to another.

Of course everyone needs to make their own choices so if you are unsure, you should be conservative in your decision.

The FAA has made if very clear that the UAS facility maps (the grids) are nothing more than for informational purposes to inform operators of the ceilings they will likely be able to attain Authorizations for, either through LAANC or the original method.

The grids depict the ceilings, NOT the boundary of the controlled airspace. Until the FAA officially redraws the boundaries and they appear on sectionals or some future official FAA publication, the local FAA employees can think what ever they want without making it fact. I have been in a few FAA webinars where the question has come up and the FAA employee stated clearly that the official airspace boundary as depicted on sectionals is the boundary and the grid does not mean anything beyond them.

Airmap has gotten fancy and started trimming the grids in their app to match the airspace.

Again, if someone is not comfortable with this information then they certainly can go by the grids if they want to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143