Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

AirSpace

GaDrone

Reaction score
I am studying for Part 107 and will be scheduling the knowledge exam next week. I don't just want to pass the test, but, I want to know why certain things are the way they are. Air Space is becoming more clear but I have one question that has not been addressed I don't think.
Since outer shelves in class B, C, have a "floor" and a "ceiling" and if the outer shelf indicates, say, 100/17, does that mean the air space below 1700 is uncontrolled? Is it available for certified pilots? Or is that space considered E since it is below controlled space, but, wouldn't the 700' come into play even if it was E?
Thanks for the replies.

Depending on your altitude it is either E or G. If you are flying a drone, you will be in G airspace if you are below one of the floors.

It depends. Often times, there are other classes of controlled airspace underlying the Class B. Learn your sectional well and use the flap to remind you what things mean. For example, have a look at this section of Seattle Class B. Underlying the B is Class D in part and G with Class E starting at 700' agl. in another part of the same section.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    534.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 15
Oh my gosh, Dave, thank you so much. What a great sectional to study.....wow, there is a lot going on there to this newbie.
Clarify one thing for me and thank you so much for taking the time for this teaching. Your "southern most" box that says, "Class E starting at 700' " I understand off to the right, the circle, being the Class E transition line starting at 700', but, what is the arrow pointing to out of that box?

I'm just pointing out that the symbol depicting the boundary of Class E starting at 700' agl, the magenta line, may be far away from where you are actually looking sometimes. In this case, the Class E won't affect you, but you should recognize that it is there.

Good Luck with your exam! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: R.Perry
I am studying for Part 107 and will be scheduling the knowledge exam next week. I don't just want to pass the test, but, I want to know why certain things are the way they are. Air Space is becoming more clear but I have one question that has not been addressed I don't think.
Since outer shelves in class B, C, have a "floor" and a "ceiling" and if the outer shelf indicates, say, 100/17, does that mean the air space below 1700 is uncontrolled? Is it available for certified pilots? Or is that space considered E since it is below controlled space, but, wouldn't the 700' come into play even if it was E?
Thanks for the replies.
Search you tube, all sorts of useful airspace videos.

Thanks for the replies.
Good luck with the upcoming test. And its great to see you are looking to really know and understand the airspace and not just pass the test. I am sure you will do well!

Reactions: SanCap and BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM