Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Almost ready for 107 test

Bob

Reaction score
I am using Gold Seal ground school in preparation for the test. I am taking practice tests and was wondering if anyone has any advice for taking the actual test. Any particular areas to focus on for example or "trick questions". Thanks.

Reactions: BigAl07
I am using Gold Seal ground school in preparation for the test. I am taking practice tests and was wondering if anyone has any advice for taking the actual test. Any particular areas to focus on for example or "trick questions". Thanks.

For my real job, I've taken the Private Pilot written test twice and the Part 107 test once. There were always a few questions that weren't in any of the lesson or other prep material.

I noticed in the Part 107 questions that most were worded in such a way that really required firm knowledge and understanding of the regulations and were not answerable if one had just memorized information by rote.

I'd recommend studying some on line material for the private pilots' test, especially airspace and FARs. Also keep in mind you may see questions regarding fixed wing drones, so a bit of basic aerodynamics might come in handy. Good luck!

Last edited:

I will agree with Shooter. I am not trying to discourage you but, you really have to understand the material. I studied for mine until my mind was saturated. I also found the material very interesting and I think the is the key here. If you are really interested and really want to understand the material it should be easy to make your way through it. I really enjoyed the material and understanding it made me a much better and safer pilot. Not that I was reckless before but after gaining the knowledge I am sure as to what and where I can do. You have 2 hours to take the test of 60 questions which is more than enough time. I was out of there in under and hour. I cannot stress enough, read the question and read it 2 more times or until you understand the question. You can mark a question that you do not understand and come back to it later. There is a bit of everything in the test. You need to understand the material. Memorizing answers are not goin to cut it. There are scenario questions which require a full understanding. You cannot bring anything with you other than a magnifying glass which I highly recommend doing. The Sectionals are pretty small and blurry. The magnifying glass will come in handy. The test center will give you a pencil, piece of paper, and a basic calculator. Take your time, there is no rush. I am no rocket scientist but I did study an hour or more a day for a few months. When I took the test last March the answers to the first few questions came to me as soon as I read the question and I totally relaxed. A lot of the answers are common sense. There usually is one answer that is way out of whack.

We all wish you good luck and don't be afraid to ask.

I passed the 107 last weekend and used remote pilot 101 for video learning (great videos and presenter) and used the "prepware remote pilot unmanned aircraft system" app for the practice tests. I wouldn't take the 107 until you consistently get 90% or above on the app's test. I found the app's sample test to be more inline with the real test. The real test is no joke and I found it to be difficult. If you know sectional charts (long/lat, radio frequency, msl/agl) and weather (metart, cloud types, etc) you should do well on about 1/3 of the questions. Answer every question your first time thru but "mark" (the software allowed me to do this) the ones you aren't confident on and revisit those when you complete your first run thru. I checked every question twice and it took me 1.5 hours. As others have said you can eliminate one answer and then still have a 50/50 chance on getting the question correct. Several questions had two answers that seemed to be correct except for a minor difference in wording. I bet I studied for more than 40 hours, but Im not a good test taker and $150 is a lot of money to me. good luck.

Thank you guys for your thoughts. I am currently reviewing and re reviewing material. I was an army Cav Scout for 16 years so reading the map is somewhat familiar, I do thank you for the magnifying glass idea. I am glad they allow a calculator I need one to play dominoes...lol, math is not my strong suit. I am doing a lot of flash cards to test my recall of information then taking sample tests.

Thank you guys for your thoughts. I am currently reviewing and re reviewing material. I was an army Cav Scout for 16 years so reading the map is somewhat familiar, I do thank you for the magnifying glass idea. I am glad they allow a calculator I need one to play dominoes...lol, math is not my strong suit. I am doing a lot of flash cards to test my recall of information then taking sample tests.

There isn't much math involved. Study the sectionals, especially the symbols and really absorb "AGL" and "MSL" and be on the lookout for this terms in your questions, they will be in there. Get a good handle on METAR's and TAF's I was bombarded with those at the end of my test. As we all say, you have to understand the material. Grasp it and things will go your way easily. Go in there with a positive attitude and read the questions until you understand what they are looking for in your answer. BTW, all of this studying and your desire to obtain your certificate will make you a better pilot and a safe pilot.
Good Luck

First off I want to say you were smart to chose Gold Seal. They teach you the subject matter as opposed to "how to pass the test". Well played sir.

Good luck on your test and please let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
First off I want to say you were smart to chose Gold Seal. They teach you the subject matter as opposed to "how to pass the test". Well played sir.

Good luck on your test and please let us know how it turns out.

Good point - not trying to be smug but I've met quite a few folks who passed the 107 test and still did not have a grasp on the FARs and airspace. heck, I've seen some 107 folks openly admit they violated airspace on some forums!

Passing the test is good, knowing the material and more importantly knowing the responsibilities of your trade is excellent!

(stepping off soapbox)

Good point - not trying to be smug but I've met quite a few folks who passed the 107 test and still did not have a grasp on the FARs and airspace. heck, I've seen some 107 folks openly admit they violated airspace on some forums!

Passing the test is good, knowing the material and more importantly knowing the responsibilities of your trade is excellent!

(stepping off soapbox)

That's my point 100%. It's almost every day I see someone who "passed" their 107 comment, "I'm only 3 miles from the airport so do I need to get an authorization or do I just call the tower to notify them?".

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
That's my point 100%. It's almost every day I see someone who "passed" their 107 comment, "I'm only 3 miles from the airport so do I need to get an authorization or do I just call the tower to notify them?".

Well stated and unfortunate.

I’m living proof that you can pass the test without ground school. I’m not saying that ground school is bad at all. If it weren’t so high in price I probably would’ve taken a class myself. I just studied the FAA study guide and the pilots handbook which got very detailed. I only studied in the handbook what was on the study guide. The handbook got a little more detailed and gave me a better understanding. I just took my time and studied a little everyday. I did study what I could find on YouTube. The test I took was loaded with sectional chart questions. One bit of it advice I can give you is to thoroughly read the questions and re-read the questions before you answer them. They can be tricky the way they’re worded. With only three answers to choose from and one answer usually was obviously not right it narrowed down to only two answers that could be right. Good luck and remember not passing the exam is not the end of the world. You can take it again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC