Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Aloft - LAANC

Dave Pitman

Reaction score
Just downloaded the Aloft app (android) to use for LAANC. I find the dialog to draw the area of interest but it is where my phone is now, not where I plan to fly. Without dragging all 4 points across the state (not happening), how do you move the area of interest to where the mission is when it's not where you are currently?

Anyone using a more intuitive app for LAANC besides AirMap? I used to use Skyward but they are out now.

Thanks!

I'm not very familiar with Aloft, Dave, but it seems you do the following procedure:
- sign in
- push the map around to the general location you wish to fly
- tap the map with your finger to place a pin at that location
- push the white menu at the bottom of the phone screen upward
- tap the small "Get Authorization" check box icon
- choose Commercial or Recreational
- change the shape of the square you wish to fly
- start answering the questions to get your authorization

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
I use UASidekick and like it a lot.

For transparency, 99.9% of my service area is Class G so I don't need clearance very often so don't use that feature but a few times a year at the most.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
I use UASidekick and like it a lot.

For transparency, 99.9% of my service area is Class G so I don't need clearance very often so don't use that feature but a few times a year at the most.
UASidekick Looks promising did they offer a website to?
That’s one thing I like about AirMap I can go on the web and pre-plan.

I'm not very familiar with Aloft, Dave, but it seems you do the following procedure:
- sign in
- push the map around to the general location you wish to fly
- tap the map with your finger to place a pin at that location
- push the white menu at the bottom of the phone screen upward
- tap the small "Get Authorization" check box icon
- choose Commercial or Recreational
- change the shape of the square you wish to fly
- start answering the questions to get your authorization

Hope that helps.
Thanks man! That is straight forward. I was working on the wrong page, flight planning. I guess Aloft doesn't consider that planning. You first have to click the Map Button. Also, it looks like you don't have access to desktop LAANC unless on a paid account.

Attachments

• ab.jpg
    ab.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 4
I've just signed up for a free account at Avision - Airspace Management for Drones
The desktop planner looks promising.

Update.

Well, Avision has a nice online planner, but it looks like if you are commercial, they want you to pay a minimum of $1188 per year to use LAANC. I suspect some of these startups are going to need to learn the lesson that Skyward has learned.

Anyway, I was able to get a couple of LAANC approvals through Aloft's app. Too bad they don't let you use the desktop planner. Maybe someday AOPA will jump in and solve this for us.

Update.

Well, Avision has a nice online planner, but it looks like if you are commercial, they want you to pay a minimum of $1188 per year to use LAANC. I suspect some of these startups are going to need to learn the lesson that Skyward has learned.

Anyway, I was able to get a couple of LAANC approvals through Aloft's app. Too bad they don't let you use the desktop planner. Maybe someday AOPA will jump in and solve this for us.
$1188.00 per year? Good luck with that. I'll stick with the paper method.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM