Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Am I going crazy?

Nitz

Reaction score
I had a very odd experience today.
I received a cold call from an individual who wanted to offer his drone services. I explained that we were not looking for services at this time, but if we do I will make sure to add his name to the list when we send out our request for proposals. I asked some other questions about license, services provided, etc. but the part that has me baffled was when I told him that we have class D airspace in the areas we operate so does he have experience filing for authorizations or does he have any blanket authorizations.

What happened next was shocking; he informed me that he's operated in class D airspace before and all he's required to do is call the airport and tell them where and how high he is flying so that wont be an issue. I stopped him and explained if he's operating under hobbyist thats fine but would be operating under 107 so he needs an authorization. He says, yes thats what he gets when he calls the airport so again not to worry and further explains he also has insurance. I again try to explain that under 107 he needs to request an authorization. At which point he begins to argue with me. After a few moments, I explain that I will add his name to our list to be notified, appreciated the call and have a good day.

Now, am I going crazy here?

Reactions: dawgpilot
Until they re-write the FARs to specifically forbid verbal approval it's still "Legal" albeit not suggested by the FAA.

While most towers will refer you to the online portal or the LAANC (depending on the area you're in) some still give verbal approvals for easy and well known operations. It helps a lot of you already have a good line of communications with ATC because they are actually putting their neck on the line by giving verbal approvals.

Reactions: R Martin
There are airports in my area that will clear you. I did it once until I figured out the whole "authorization thing" and I'm waiting on my COA now.

I received clearance that way one time, but couldn't take advantage of it because I couldn't get my P4P unlocked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN