Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Another "Drone hit my airplane" Story Looks to be false

Moosewax

Reaction score
Fixed wing fliers fake frenzy foiled - Rod Vaughan update - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

I agree with the author wholeheartedly, in general there should be "No GA Below 2K" (2000ft AGL), with exceptions for takeoff, landing, certain air tourism hotspots etc.

Leave the lower airspace for the people who can use it for a constructive purpose. :cool:

I would be willing to compromise, GA should have ADS-B out all the time if going below 2K, not just for the Mode C Veil. Its a great cheap tool for letting UAS operators see who is in the sky.

Fixed wing fliers fake frenzy foiled - Rod Vaughan update - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

I agree with the author wholeheartedly, in general there should be "No GA Below 2K" (2000ft AGL), with exceptions for takeoff, landing, certain air tourism hotspots etc.

Leave the lower airspace for the people who can use it for a constructive purpose. :cool:

I would be willing to compromise, GA should have ADS-B out all the time if going below 2K, not just for the Mode C Veil. Its a great cheap tool for letting UAS operators see who is in the sky.

2k AGL? That's not gonna happen my friend. While I admit that sUAS is a big industry it's not nearly as big as GA is and those are some DEEP pockets.

To be honest, there is a LOT of flying we do here locally that is in the 1K-1.5K range for the majority of the flight.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
2k AGL? That's not gonna happen my friend. While I admit that sUAS is a big industry it's not nearly as big as GA is and those are some DEEP pockets.

To be honest, there is a LOT of flying we do here locally that is in the 1K-1.5K range for the majority of the flight.

You are probably right, but the professional UAS industry is going to dwarf GA at some point :)

Then we shall see how much love the UAS industry is going to have for the concerns of GA once roles reverse.

But I am just venting. Hopefully we can come up with workable and livable compromises.

• Haha
Reactions: AH-1G
You are probably right, but the professional UAS industry is going to dwarf GA at some point :)

Then we shall see how much love the UAS industry is going to have for the concerns of GA once roles reverse.

But I am just venting. Hopefully we can come up with workable and livable compromises.

In just pure #'s of aircraft yes but not in $$.

The compromise is going to be tighter regulations and restrictions and then MAYBE the FAA will take some action against rule breakers and start enforcing.

Wait a minute, you forgot crop dusters, at 2000 feet they can't read the road signs.

Reactions: LARA images
Wait a minute, you forgot crop dusters, at 2000 feet they can't read the road signs.

Crop dusters are not GA, they do aerial work. Much of which is essentially going to be done by drone anyways and is slowly heading that way.

By GA I mean personal recreational and private transport flyers.

Reactions: LARA images
Crop dusters are not GA, they do aerial work. Much of which is essentially going to be done by drone anyways and is slowly heading that way.

By GA I mean personal recreational and private transport flyers.

I wasn't serious. As stated in that report, it was a structural failure, no drone.
Minimum altitudes in uncontrolled airspace in unincorporated areas is 500 ft, cities is 1000 feet. If I'm flying VFR I prefer 3000 ft AGL, meaning if I fly over the Sierras that is about 12000 feet. My reason is altitude is my friend, if I lose power it give me time to plan my landing.

There aren't too many drone operators spraying 5000 acre cotton farms.

Reactions: BigAl07
Since I do know a little about crop dusting I don't see drones taking over crop dusting on large farms. I have looked at the drones setup for dusting and they would work for a few acres.

Reactions: AH-1G and BigAl07
Since I do know a little about crop dusting I don't see drones taking over crop dusting on large farms. I have looked at the drones setup for dusting and they would work for a few acres.

We were at a DEMO just a few weeks ago for DJI's new "AG System". It was very impressive but on a very small scale. The tree farm we were doing the DEMO on wasn't large at all and it wasn't feasible for the UAS due to payload and battery issues.

True on all points, I guess what I mean is that in the future it will be more feasible to crop dust larger farms. For that large of a farm (5000+ acres) it would require something bigger than 55lbs to be economical. Sure maybe not now, but 10 years from now, heck 20 years from now I don't see why it would not be possible and more common by then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN