Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Anyone ever offer "Drone Flying" at events?

Kaifect

Reaction score
Website
www.kaifect.com
I have this half baked idea of getting a space at a local fair and letting people fly my drone for a cost. They could fly under my supervision at an open area bordering the event, take some photos and video. We could use the auto take off, let them fly in beginner mode for 15 minutes, and then auto land.
Any comments on this would be appreciated. How much do you think a 15 minute flight is worth?

Kaifect,

Interesting idea. As long as the proper precautions and legal requirements (business licenses, insurance, etc).
Personally, I would never do this as it opens myself up to way too much liability and the headache of people messing with my stuff.

There would be some logistics -
- Do they get a copy of the video / images they take? If so, do you provide the USB? If not, how are they getting them - email/dropbox? Those are additional expenses.
- How many batteries do you have? How will you charge them? Will the fair let you hook into their electrical or will you need a generator?
- 15min is a long time for free flying in beginner mode ; customers may get bored quickly which leads to them doing 'dumb' things
- What is your 'WOW' factor? While flying the drone is cool, the fun part is what you get to see from the drone. The open area should have a building/shed/landscape to focus on

If you're not selling the physical drones - talk to some retailers and ask them if you can do a referral program with them. Once your customers are done flying you can say you offer your services or you can purchase your own drone from [vendor] using the offer code [x]. If the person buys from your referral you get $.

Sounds interesting but is the RISK worth the reward? Will your insurance cover a loss by a "client" flying your equipment? Can you charge enough to make it worth the trouble and to maybe make a profit?

15 min is a lot of time for a beginner and as already stated might lead to boredom and reckless behavior. You might want to "refine" that down to half or so.

Regardless you'll need equipment to keep batteries, controllers, tablets charged for the time frame of the event. Plan ahead so you don't have downtime and paying clients waiting and watching a charger buzz away.

Everything about this will be Trial & Error so take notes and refine your methods for improving it in future events.

Reactions: Outta Control
Personally I see a lot of potential problems. Most events have lots of people, and you can't overfly people. If you are allowing an inexperienced person to fly and they overfly someone you are responsible, and worse yet if they injure someone then you better have a ton of insurance. I just seem to think it isn't a very good idea.

The event I was going to try this at is no longer available. I appreciate all the feedback. I am looking for another event and will definitely let you know how it goes.

Reactions: BigAl07
The event I was going to try this at is no longer available. I appreciate all the feedback. I am looking for another event and will definitely let you know how it goes.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing your report.

I had thought about selling 5 minute rides using the DJI goggles. I would still be in control of the sticks but the customer could do head tracking and look around. I have done this for free with friends and all you hear after they put the goggles on is "Oh WOW"!!

I had thought about selling 5 minute rides using the DJI goggles. I would still be in control of the sticks but the customer could do head tracking and look around. I have done this for free with friends and all you hear after they put the goggles on is "Oh WOW"!!
I offer free “pilot view “ trips for disabled people, especially those who are wheelchair bound. Like you I t is very muc( appreciated .

It sounds like an interesting idea. But my experience has been that nobody wants to fly my drone for free. They're scared of it (or maybe of breaking it).

I offer free “pilot view “ trips for disabled people, especially those who are wheelchair bound. Like you I t is very muc( appreciated .

That is a great, stop and think, teaching a disabled person to fly with a spotter that can assist would give the disabled a potential for income or a job.

That’s what I and others are trying to do. I know it has “rescued” me. When I became ill I lost two careers and could do little. Now because of drones and the challenges they offer, the variety and the enjoyment, I can once again take photographs. But also I can fly drones, and let others experience those joys too. Something I can do sat down, which is fortunate as I do a lot of that now.

It sounds like an interesting idea. But my experience has been that nobody wants to fly my drone for free. They're scared of it (or maybe of breaking it).
Perhaps getting some cheap drones, and ones that can stand a bit of battering like a Syma X 5 or an Eachine 010. Just bought the Eachine for around $10 and it bounces very well. It’s go to be worth a try.

I'd suggest investing in one of those safety cages that you see at 'InterDrone' and other events that they use to demo drones indoors.Seems to me that you might be asking for trouble letting any novice fly a drone for the first time without spending considerable training time up front, which seem impractical for this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN