Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Anyone live in a mosquito infested area?

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have heard there is an all natural blend using mineral water that kills mosquito's. From what I understand the elements in the mineral water blend expand in the mosquito's stomach killing them. Anyone else heard of this??? Might be a future venture for those living in mosquito infested areas? Environmental impacts that could potentially alter life for other species that feed on mosquitos?

I have heard there is an all natural blend using mineral water that kills mosquito's. From what I understand the elements in the mineral water blend expand in the mosquito's stomach killing them. Anyone else heard of this??? Might be a future venture for those living in mosquito infested areas? Environmental impacts that could potentially alter life for other species that feed on mosquitos?
Florida!

And southeast Texas!

I'd be interested in learning more about this if anyone has any information. The localities here have trucks that drive around spraying in all directions but adding drone delivery of a different chemical in specific breeding areas could be a new and effective method keeping the populations down.

Reactions: KMcKinnon
Well a few minutes on Google netted several results. Turns out plenty of other people have had the same idea, and the DJI Agras MG-1 might be able to handle it. That would help start a business or add to a business pretty quick with little work. I'm sure other models could carry the load as well. Here's a few links if anyone is interested:

AGRAS MG-1’s Specifications - DJI

Drones Hired to Take Out Mosquito Threat

So far I haven't found a whole lot of cities/businesses doing this. Maybe there is a market for drone-assisted mosquito control...

And southeast Texas!

I'd be interested in learning more about this if anyone has any information. The localities here have trucks that drive around spraying in all directions but adding drone delivery of a different chemical in specific breeding areas could be a new and effective method keeping the populations down.

I agree. I don't see many service providers changing the bulk of their deliveries from trucks. And more than likely a different chemical need will just mean using another truck. However, there may be an opportunity for UAVs to be utilized in some very specific situations. For example where distance or other geographic conditions prevent the effective deployment of trucks. A lack of roads or trails or rough terrain might actually require aerial spraying. Then it becomes a matter for the company bean counters. Is UAV more cost effective than other methods?

Interesting use of a drone. I could see this working in swampy areas where a truck can't deliver the pesticides. I see a plane spraying crops for a couple weeks a year, that can't be cheap and I bet a drone could deliver a lot more accurately.

Pesticide and herbicide applications require a testing and certification procedure to provide you with a license before you can disperse toxic chemicals.

That said if the mineral water solution incorporates no toxic chemicals then this might be a significant advantage to using toxic chemicals.

Also realize that using an Agras will require a SIGNIFICANT investment in batteries. And realize that the limited reservoir capacity will limit you to the size of property being sprayed.

If you are willing to work within these constraints then municipal complexes like multi unit softball fields or soccer complexes would be ideal IF this mineral water solution exists and actually works. If it is not toxic then spraying on recreational fields that moms pops and kids use all day long on weekends would be a great opportunity to provide a service.

Anyone come up with any more info on the non toxic mosquito killing mineral water blend?

Reactions: dempseycreekkid
Can't say that I have but we use tennis rackets here in MS for em. Dang things big :eek:
Seriously though we have lot's of ball fields here and they use trucks that spray .Not
sure what they use but will find out if you like .It's almost like a fog .

I am in the processes of implementing UAS' into mosquito control. It is not as easy as just get a 107 and pesticide license.

You have to apply for exemptions to laws, and if anyone thought the airspace waivers were difficult, try getting exemptions. Can be up to or even longer than 2 years.

This being said, we are on in the process. Any questions I'd be happy to discuss.

Reactions: KMcKinnon
Yes I have known about what they are doing, I have been doing the same thing for quite some time. :)

Other agencies have been trying to implement spray drones for mosquito control as well.

I have received a grant from another mosquito control district to buy our first spray drones.

ESH - I live in SW Louisiana and have investigated this business model too. I know that I might have to pass a pesticide applicators certification just as I buy herbicide against my dealers certification. But I was most interested in the bio friendly larvae life cycle interruption products. I hope you are wildly successful because the demand is almost geographically universal, where there is standing water there are mosquitoes.

Have you a website established for your company?

Near Crater Lake National Park (one of my most favorite beautiful places of all time!) and all of the alkalai flats adjacent to K Falls would obviously be high demand areas for your services. I thank you for participating in this thread and sharing your website info. Obviously you would be considered an industry expert in this area. So what I am most eager to monitor is your choice of products for application and your choice of UAS for premium delivery vehicle.

Best of luck with your efforts!

Thank you. We focus on environmentally responsible methods. Trying to get our clients and local agencies to go away with using broad spectrum pesticides unless necessary. Currently we are attempting to use the MG-1S to deliver copepods, to gain hours of "spray time." But still in the FAA holding pattern to be allowed to use any product with an EPA label or material that kills mosquitoes. That is the loophole to jump through in order to even use those all natural "pesticides", because even the all natural products are still considered "economic poisons." Yes, seems ridiculous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker