Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Are you a Full-Time or Part-Time sUAV Operator?

Is your Part 107 work a full-time or part-time endeavor?

• Total voters
I'm one year from retiring and have been looking to establish a reputation so when I do retire I can have something to help feed my hobby addiction and occupy my time. I've been doing some real estate work but mostly volumetric mapping and thermal scanning for a couple of green waste disposal companies.

You do have your plate full sir, I pray your wife recovers and your business is a success. You are wise to stay away from real estate, just not enough money in it.

Reactions: Ghost
I have now completed my Survey and Mapping course and it was awesome, opened my eyes on how to map out a pre-planned flight path for my Matrice 210. I did a test flight at the course it was nerve racking watch the M210 take off and then fly the pre-plan flight path. See attached pic of the 24 photos stitched together with Pix4D.

I have now passed my CASA RPA Remote Operators Certificate [ReOC] and can now run my own UAV business as the Chief Pilot for the Elevated Drone Control Zone [www.theedczone.com] and I can also fly at night [as per CASA requirements and regulations].

Attachments

• AE7CAE57-AD38-4969-829E-2FB31EEA5D21.png
    AE7CAE57-AD38-4969-829E-2FB31EEA5D21.png
    985.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Ghost
I have now completed my Survey and Mapping course and it was awesome, opened my eyes on how to map out a pre-planned flight path for my Matrice 210. I did a test flight at the course it was nerve racking watch the M210 take off and then fly the pre-plan flight path. See attached pic of the 24 photos stitched together with Pix4D.

I have now passed my CASA RPA Remote Operators Certificate [ReOC] and can now run my own UAV business as the Chief Pilot for the Elevated Drone Control Zone [www.theedczone.com] and I can also fly at night [as per CASA requirements and regulations].

It sounds to me like Australia is way ahead of the US FAA requiring proficiency testing for commercial operations, we really need that here, and I know a lot of folks will probably disagree with me but it amazes me that someone can get a commercial ticket without even knowing how to fly a drone.

Well guys, its offical I now have my CASA RPA Remote Operators Certificate [ReOC] and can now run my own UAV business - Elevated Drone Control Zone here in Perth Western Australia. I think it's similar to the USA's FAA Part 107, not sure someone might be able to confirm that for me.

It sounds to me like Australia is way ahead of the US FAA requiring proficiency testing for commercial operations, we really need that here, and I know a lot of folks will probably disagree with me but it amazes me that someone can get a commercial ticket without even knowing how to fly a drone.

Here in Australia you just need a minimum of 5 hours of Drone flying and pass a practical assessment plus theory section to get your Remote Pilots Licence (RePL) via a course that lasts 5 days, this means you can fly your UAV for Commercial jobs if it is 2KGs and under, you still need to have each Mission (job) signed off by a Chief Pilot who holds a RPA Remote Operators Certificate (ReOC). And as I now hold my own ReOC and can sign off my own Missions.

The cost is around the $3000 AUD to get the RePL which includes your Aeronautical Radio Operators Certificate (AROC), and $1650 to be accessed for your ReOC. The ReOC consists of the following parts

1. You must have a RePL and a Registered Business Name and ABN (Australian Business Number - Tax) + ARN for the Business unless you are Trading as XXXXXX.
  2. Complete 101-06 & 101-08 forms
  3. Complete CASA Operations Manual - 40 pages stating how you will run your business and what UAV's you use (template provided)
  4. Complete CASA Appendix 4 - Library (template provided) 20 pages
  5. Complete a (mock - not actually flown) Mission at a designated location with in Australia with client request and guide lines - you have 72 hours to complete your mission this includes completing a Risk Analysis, Maps showing landing/take off areas, emergency landing area, spotters or Ground crew, contact local City Council if permits are required, if in Controlled Airspace or with in 3nm of an Airport, HLS or Aerodrome you complete a 101-09 form to be approved by CASA ($800 - $1800 AUD) plus weather, time of day and so on.....
  6. Complete a phone interview which has two parts - Mission Debrief (to make sure you actually completed the planning of the Mission) and General Aviation knowledge - pretty much what an actual Pilot has to know. Interview can be around an hour and a half to 2 hours in duration.
So in just under 7 months I have bought a Mavic Pro | Completed RePL (5 days) | Completed Surveying & Mapping Course (2 days) | Bought a DJI Matrice 210 + Zenmuse X5S | Completed ReOC (3 & 1/2 weeks).

Lots of new members since this was posted. Just thought I'd bump it to the top to keep the survey going. Please go to the first post and partake in the one question poll if you haven't already done so.

Reactions: BigAl07
5th year this upcoming May, flying full time for Lennar Development, and its collaborstors. I map, inspect, asset management, and progressive in the Northern, California division.

Happy to be amongst all of you, guys. And sending prayers your way @TheEDCZone

Well Sir I wish you and your the best of luck, Wife and I will be praying for you and your wife and family.

I’m an electrician for a large, well known, manufacturing company. They have recently decided to try a pilot program to see if drones can be beneficial to day to day operations. We currently have a Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual and are looking at infrastructure inspection and HVAC efficiency audits. I feel like there is also potential for monitoring robot zone operations to get a better view of interference issues, but the program is brand new (literally less than a month old), so we don’t even know what all we can do. It’s kinda exciting.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN