Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Basic maps for a spray drone

Captainrisky

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've literally cut and pasted this from my post on the Phantom pilots forum, as they directed me here.

I've been searching heavily on how to use my new P4 RTK specifically for my application. Unfortunately my DRTK 2 base station failed out of the box (won't switch on at all), and has gone back for warranty, hopefully a new replacement.

I'm not new to DJI drones, but I am to all this mapping thing. I have only one need, to map my own very flat paddocks so I can set them up in Terra Ag and spray them with my Agras spray drone. I don't need sub cm accuracy, I'd be vary happy with 30cm and delighted with 10cm. Again, I'm not going for survey grade results but I do want my 30k drone to respect the boundaries and obstacles I enter into Terra Ag within reason.

1. Do I need ground control points for the accuracy I need? I certainly don't want to do them, as I thought the whole point of RTK was so you didn't need them. Again, 10-30cm accuracy would be fantastic for me.

2. Do I need reference points, and what are they compared to GCP's? Do they have to be at ground level, or could they be the tops of posts, etc which would be very much easier.

3. I would really like to leave whatever field spraying job I design on file, and be able to use it again in the future without mapping/planning it all again. Is that possible? Will it be reliable in the future, or should I do it all again each time? I'm thinking if it goes well, that would be the one to use next time, kind of like a 3D print file.

4. Standard or SDK controller? I've got both, and an Android tablet for the SDK, but I'd like to start simple and I certainly don't want to pay for a 3rd party app at this stage. My Agras spraying mentor is mapping with an M300 and UCGL, pretty sure in 3D as well, but he's very experienced and spraying extremely hilly country full of trees. My place is wide open flood plains, very flat with the odd tree here and there. I'm thinking of starting with 2D maps and the basic controller until I get settled, unless there's a compelling reason not to. I'd only do contract work for immediate neighbors on the same sort of land.

5. Mapping height etc? I see it's set at 100m and 50m is the minimum. At 60m I'm clear of any tree on the property by 20m's. Would that be a good height for my application? It's pretty windy where I am, and my MPP certainly likes it lower in that regard.

6. Will I just leave the camera and mapping settings on auto/standard? I would imagine they'd just set them to work as they designed the thing?

When answering these questions above, please consider my application which is spraying 6m wide swathes at about 2.5m above the field. I don't need survey grade accuracy, anything less than 30cm (1 foot) will be ideal. Being able to store spray jobs on the computer would be excellent as long as they were repeatable. To much fiddling around will scare off customers, they want you to do the job and leave.

I would appreciate any advice or tips, thank you

Reactions: MikeA
Nobody out there with experience in this?
"
1. Do I need ground control points for the accuracy I need? I certainly don't want to do them, as I thought the whole point of RTK was so you didn't need them. Again, 10-30cm accuracy would be fantastic for me.

2. Do I need reference points, and what are they compared to GCP's? Do they have to be at ground level, or could they be the tops of posts, etc which would be very much easier."

1.) Yes, you need them without an RTK solution. A minimum of five would be a starting point and more if the boundary is not rectangular or square. You are going to use this as a baseline to design flight paths. It needs to be accurate.

2.) you don't "need" them but they are a great way to check the accuracy of your work.

Reactions: Captainrisky

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91