Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Basic Navigation Question

Ydhtbiotsao

Reaction score
I don't have a drone yet. I am studying for 107. As I study the sectional charts and all the restrictions, I have to think drones are programmable. I suppose the pilot has to plug in the to-from coordinates, the coordinates of obstructions, the coordinates outlining airspaces B, C, D, E, G, etc., etc., etc.,.....,......
Or not?
If all this stuff has to be programmed into a drone, are there programs the pilot can buy and just download into the drone? I can imagine each sectional might come with such a program.
Also, if there are such programs, could you tell me the approximate cost? Finally, what about the cost of drones that are programmable?
Thank you.

No. You do not have to program the drone. Some drones, like DJI, are programmed to not take off in certain airspace-restricted areas. You must get approval through LAANC then you have to go to the DJI flysafe website to get an unlock key. You will receive instructions from DJI on how to do the unlock.

If you're flying a none DJI drone and one that does not have geo fencing you still must go through the approval process in the restricted air space, but it is the pilot's responsibility to stay within the approved perimeter.

Have you ever flown or been around a Remote Controlled Airplane? Or Remote Controlled Car or Boat?

Exactly the same concept with a Drone/UAS. You "fly" the aircraft by putting "Control Inputs" into the Remote Control and those signals go to the aircraft telling it to change the speed or direction or altitude of the aircraft.

Reactions: GFields
Actually I didn't follow what you were saying. I have driven little cars and boats with remote controls. Never an airplane. But cars and boats do not have as many restrictions. Drones have so many restrictions! I do not feel like I could think fast enough. So I was thinking I would want to program everything ahead of time.

Actually I didn't follow what you were saying. I have driven little cars and boats with remote controls. Never an airplane. But cars and boats do not have as many restrictions. Drones have so many restrictions! I do not feel like I could think fast enough. So I was thinking I would want to program everything ahead of time.

It's actually both depending on the drone and software.

Manual input with a controller is the most used method and one you should always be comfortable using in the event of any abnormal operation.

Some drones accept waypoint missions where you can program a flight path with instructions on what you want it to do along the way. Many of these are very user friendly and you plan the flight on a aerial map, and specify an altitude for each point.

However, you don't need to do that unless you know what you are doing, and you never rely on it without constant monitoring visually, being ready to take back over if it does not do what you had in mind. It's very easy to violate rules and run smack into terrain or obstructions if you foul it up.

Reactions: BigAl07
I don't have a drone yet. I am studying for 107. As I study the sectional charts and all the restrictions, I have to think drones are programmable. I suppose the pilot has to plug in the to-from coordinates, the coordinates of obstructions, the coordinates outlining airspaces B, C, D, E, G, etc., etc., etc.,.....,......
Or not?
If all this stuff has to be programmed into a drone, are there programs the pilot can buy and just download into the drone? I can imagine each sectional might come with such a program.
Also, if there are such programs, could you tell me the approximate cost? Finally, what about the cost of drones that are programmable?
Thank you.
When you are finished your Part 107 you should know quite a bit about where you can and cannot fly your drone. However, the FAA makes a useful app - B4UFLY that you consult before flying to see if there are restrictions for the area you want to fly in. DJI's app running on their controllers also shows a running map, and will show restricted zones and warn you if you are close to one and need permission to fly there. Typically, LAANC is the controlling entity that provides permission to fly in controlled airspace for example.

As others have said here - there are programs that you can use to plot waypoint missions or mapping/surveying missions and download them into your controller/drone. But only certain models (DJI Enterprise and some others) that allow this. You don't need these programs to fly your drone doing everyday recreational stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164