Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Be Careful With Facebook

aerialimagery

Reaction score
I've just been dabbling with making a facebook business page and spent a few dollars boosting a post to see how it works, etc. I don't have much time into it at this point, so if I have lost my facebook page it's not that big of a deal, though it does irritate me that they suspended my account.

On my main personal page I had been interacting with a group that was hostile to my position regarding the Second Amendment, and some of them accused me of being a "Russian Bot." So for fun, I translated a comment using google translate into Russian and posted it.

I don't know if that's why my account was suspended or if it was because of complaints about the position I took, but at any rate I could not access my account today and they said it was suspended. I had the option to appeal it and I sent them a copy of my drivers license so I'll wait and see.

At any rate, the point is that facebook has a lot of power and if you have built up your facebook presence and spent money on ads you might want to think twice about using your personal account to debate controversial topics, as some people play hardball and so does facebook, it seems.

(I'm presuming that my business page associated with my personal account is also suspended).

Your personal account and page have different links. You can check if the page is suspended. I don't think so since you can make administrators to several users of the page. I think they act separately.

There is no benefit to sharing opinions and private data with Facebook and their community when you weigh the personal cost that you will pay in terms of invasion of you privacy. What does it matter whether or not Zuckerberg and any of his information gestapo lieutenants believe that you are American and wish to choose how you will defend yourself.

As useful as Facebook can be to advertise we have stayed the hell away from it. I deleted my personal account years ago when all the creepy spying and data mining came to light and have not looked back since.

Find another social media platform to use and make the most of it i say. Twitter is just as effective at advertising imho and does not want to know what you had for dinner.

Its bad enough in this day and age we have to take a picture at work and share everything to start with.

Reactions: R Martin
Well, I'm going the other way around. I've never had social networks, I've been totally opposed to them and I still am on a personal level. Now I've created accounts with the sole intention of advertising the drone company. My life interests me, my family and friends, I don't need anyone to know what I do or don't do. Professional level is another matter and I don't pay much attention to it either, although I recognize that as an advertising tool it is a good option.

I recently took a short course in advertising on social networks and it was my first contact. I have to admit, it's crazy. People spend whole days as drug addicts posting things and "I like" and "share" and......... a madness :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: mick
Well, I'm going the other way around. I've never had social networks, I've been totally opposed to them and I still am on a personal level. Now I've created accounts with the sole intention of advertising the drone company. My life interests me, my family and friends, I don't need anyone to know what I do or don't do. Professional level is another matter and I don't pay much attention to it either, although I recognize that as an advertising tool it is a good option.

I recently took a short course in advertising on social networks and it was my first contact. I have to admit, it's crazy. People spend whole days as drug addicts posting things and "I like" and "share" and......... a madness :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was there for the birth of social media with my age and it quickly descended into the root of all evil :rolleyes:

I dont use it as much as i should for our business but thats because in reality i bloody hate it haha

I have no personal social media and its staying that way :D Just look at how weird all the kids are these days from it, said by someone who is barely an adult himself haha

In the course I did when I told them that I didn't have social networks, that I had just created them before I started the course, they all looked at me with a strange face. They were even more surprised when I told them I was a computer scientist. And that is precisely the other reason for not having them. With the hours I spent in front of a computer when I was leaving home I didn't want to know anything about technology. I want to enjoy myself, go to the mountains, fly like today.

The bad weather today has given us a small 2-day truce, snow returns again in the next few days, and flying, recording a very beautiful images of a reservoir of water in the middle of the mountain with partially snowed surroundings, I have fallen for wearing the wrong shoes :rolleyes:, and "fighting" with 4 hawks attacking the drone all the time that have made me lower the drone many times and have not let me record more than 10 minutes of valid images. That's how I enjoy myself and not glued to a screen telling nonsense and gossiping about other people's lives.

With hawks you realise that the drone doesn't descend as fast as it should in situations like this. It's not the first time it's happened to me but recording over water has made me more nervous than usual :p

I jumped into a discussion on facebook and was met with some very rude comments and some "F U's" and was threatened to be reported as a "bot" and even a "Russian bot" but I didn't take that seriously and didn't think Facebook would either. The faceobook host of that page could have blocked me if he didn't like my ideas, but I had no idea those who didn't like my opinions were going to go to facebook and not the host, and cannot believe my account was suspended. What if I had had a lot of money and time tied up in it and my business was dependent upon it? (No I cannot access my page--I need to log into my personal account to do that).

I jumped into a discussion on facebook and was met with some very rude comments and some "F U's" and was threatened to be reported as a "bot" and even a "Russian bot" but I didn't take that seriously and didn't think Facebook would either. The faceobook host of that page could have blocked me if he didn't like my ideas, but I had no idea those who didn't like my opinions were going to go to facebook and not the host, and cannot believe my account was suspended. What if I had had a lot of money and time tied up in it and my business was dependent upon it? (No I cannot access my page--I need to log into my personal account to do that).

In order to modify the page you need to log in with a personal account. You can add more administrators, personal accounts, to the page in case you ever get access. That way problems like that are solved.

I hope they unlock you. Write to them and comment on the situation. With my personal account I try not to write anything. It's just to manage the site and share what I publish on the site as well, two by one. Although I don't have much experience, maybe someone with more can advise you.

I just got a notice my account has been restored. They must have thought I really was some kind of bot, but my license matched my user name.

Glad you got it back most likely you drew attention with your Second Amendment post then the Russian spam bot remark got you suspended

If you watch shark tank or get advice on how to promote a business the number one thing is social media. I agree one must be careful and we are not allowed to have opinions on the 2nd amendment or anything political on social media. My drone page is pretty basic with just some pictures and videos and that's it.
One thing I notices was when I post new videos on youtube they were being publish in twitter. I went in and disabled that as not all my videos are drone related as I have another company which has separate accounts. Social media is the big deal now and it seems a necessarily evil. I admin while I have a twitter acct I never tweet as I am not a twit. :)

I've just been dabbling with making a facebook business page and spent a few dollars boosting a post to see how it works, etc. I don't have much time into it at this point, so if I have lost my facebook page it's not that big of a deal, though it does irritate me that they suspended my account.

On my main personal page I had been interacting with a group that was hostile to my position regarding the Second Amendment, and some of them accused me of being a "Russian Bot." So for fun, I translated a comment using google translate into Russian and posted it.

I don't know if that's why my account was suspended or if it was because of complaints about the position I took, but at any rate I could not access my account today and they said it was suspended. I had the option to appeal it and I sent them a copy of my drivers license so I'll wait and see.

At any rate, the point is that facebook has a lot of power and if you have built up your facebook presence and spent money on ads you might want to think twice about using your personal account to debate controversial topics, as some people play hardball and so does facebook, it seems.

(I'm presuming that my business page associated with my personal account is also suspended).

I have never nor will I ever use such a site.

There is no benefit to sharing opinions and private data with Facebook and their community when you weigh the personal cost that you will pay in terms of invasion of you privacy. What does it matter whether or not Zuckerberg and any of his information gestapo lieutenants believe that you are American and wish to choose how you will defend yourself.
HUA!

A business person has to remember that people are very sensitive to all sorts (all sorts, all sorts, ALL SORTS) of different issues. Any BOLD STANCE out loud in public could offend potential customers. Opinions are allowed on FB unless the moderator of a specific page states otherwise. But sometimes opinions are best kept among friends over a beer rather than in public.
That said... I like guns and enjoy the smell of expended gunpowder... However I have not been able to figure the reason for owning assault rifles other than the same as the reason for wanting jacked up trucks with 30" tires... to mediate some self discerned emotional deficiency.
Now that ought to stir the pot.
Happy landings and safe shooting.

Reactions: Craig Needelman
Face book used wisely is a fairly inexpensive marketing tool. There are companies who hire social media experts to leverage it for good reason.
Personal accounts should be just that, personal. I have 8 people who can see my account. All people I keep in touch with from afar. My business page is not associated with my personal account so I can conduct it just like I would a website.
Just use it correctly and protect yourself and it is hard to beat the bang for buck

Not to mention there are some really good private groups.
One of my favorites is fairly new. They confirm members are active 107 holders to keep out the pretenders.
Security Check Required

Face book used wisely is a fairly inexpensive marketing tool. There are companies who hire social media experts to leverage it for good reason.
Personal accounts should be just that, personal. I have 8 people who can see my account. All people I keep in touch with from afar. My business page is not associated with my personal account so I can conduct it just like I would a website.
Just use it correctly and protect yourself and it is hard to beat the bang for buck

Not to mention there are some really good private groups.
One of my favorites is fairly new. They confirm members are active 107 holders to keep out the pretenders.
Security Check Required

I really wish I could understand it. I've read their boards and someone was asking how much it would cost him to send an ad to each of his followers, and the response was "how much do you want to spend?" Every time I see an explanation about how facebook ads work it's about as clear as mud to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM