Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Best Drone For Commercial Use

I have not launched an LLC yet. Been doing business as for now. My wife has an LLC for her business. Might need to look into this.
Right now I cannot make a living on just my Drone Work.
But boy that would be nice. Corporate Sux

@Josh Mentele -@Josh Mentele - I am an aviation insurance broker that specializes in commercial UAS operations. As others have mentioned, the UAS you choose depends on many factors (price, specific uses, experience, etc.). I have included a list of the most popular UAVs of my 215+ unmanned clients. I hope this helps whittle down your list.

Phantom Series - Mostly P4P now
Inspire Series - Many Inspire 1s and 2s. Most people fly the X5S as payload on the I2s but I am starting to see a lot of X7
Mavic
Yuneec H920
FreeFly Alta 8

Thanks,

Joe Ernster
[email protected]

I use an inspire 1 and phantom 4 for for all my videography, that consists of media requests, wedding videos, aerial photography etc.
How does the Phantom 3 Pro compare to the Phantom 4? I have a 3. I haven't used it in a while though because I'm experiencing app issues with the DJI GO app. Unable to connect drone to app to be able to view on my iPhone (used to work in the past).

How does the Phantom 3 Pro compare to the Phantom 4? I have a 3. I haven't used it in a while though because I'm experiencing app issues with the DJI GO app. Unable to connect drone to app to be able to view on my iPhone (used to work in the past).

The P4 is an improved platform in many ways but I don't need many of the "improvements" of the P4 because I don't utilize obstacle avoidance (other than my eyes and reflexes).

For most of my work the P3 still takes images and video in higher quality than my clients need/request.

For most of my work the P3 still takes images and video in higher quality than my clients need/request.

This is the sentence I have been searching for the last few weeks! With all the P4s and Inspires I hear about (and sometimes see), I've been worried my P3 wouldn't cut it when it comes to getting my 107 feet wet.

This is the sentence I have been searching for the last few weeks! With all the P4s and Inspires I hear about (and sometimes see), I've been worried my P3 wouldn't cut it when it comes to getting my 107 feet wet.

The P3 is a great platform and very capable especially if you're not already a top notch photographer. Granted the P4P has a much better camera with many more "Professional" tools. It can be used much more like a professional camera. The problem is that's so much more than any of my clients can use. Why buy equipment you won't be able to utilize? Be smart about your $$ and build the company on a solid foundation.

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not proposing buying a "starter UAS" for business when you need more but with the way technology is changing so fast why go BIG right out of the gate when you don't need it? I've made more $$ with a P3P last year than many people who have been at their jobs for decades.

Remember the UAS is but a tool in your bag. It's not the end-all and it doesn't magically make you a UAS professional. You still need to be a marketing guru, able to run a solid business, and be willing to take chances but it does enable you to jump into a new and exciting market.

I prefer the Inspire 1 pro with Olympus lens for the versatility. That being said I also have a Phantom 4 for backup and I'm getting the Forte here F1000pro or Giants 160 for the long flight times.

I have a P3SE I plan to start some photography shots with, for pay. Heres a sample of one of my first shots to show you an example of the picture quality. (my neighborhood)

Attachments

• DJI_0022.JPG
    DJI_0022.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 22
Thanks! Went from a toy drone with crooked/crappy pictures to that, my wifes jaw dropped! She said, now get some we can frame!

Sorry, off topic for this thread - what iOS version? DJI is having connection issues with 11.2.5, not sure if the latest DJI app has it resolved, something to look into.

I would caution that when using the P3, I'd stay as far below 800 ISO as you can and still get the shot. I have a guy that uses one for us currently and really anything that is 800+ is just too grainy to be used by us. The P4P does exceptionally well at 800+ ISO's. So, if you are working in lower light conditions such as twilight or sunrise/sunset, you may want to save up a bit more and go for the P4P.

Reactions: BigAl07
I would caution that when using the P3, I'd stay as far below 800 ISO as you can and still get the shot. I have a guy that uses one for us currently and really anything that is 800+ is just too grainy to be used by us. The P4P does exceptionally well at 800+ ISO's. So, if you are working in lower light conditions such as twilight or sunrise/sunset, you may want to save up a bit more and go for the P4P.

IMHO if you go over 800 you're wasting your time with the P3 series (and I feel the same about the Mavic). These are my bread and butter but they are definitely dated technology and we need to know and understand our limitations. In these instances I think the P4P is the go to for sure even though I don't own any.

IMHO if you go over 800 you're wasting your time with the P3 series (and I feel the same about the Mavic). These are my bread and butter but they are definitely dated technology and we need to know and understand our limitations. In these instances I think the P4P is the go to for sure even though I don't own any.

Great info guys! I've been offered some opportunities once I acquire a P4P without being told what the difference was other than they consider the P4P the entry level professional drone. The P3's deficiency with 800+ ISO limits your ability for versatility as to when and where you can produce a quality image.

Great info guys! I've been offered some opportunities once I acquire a P4P without being told what the difference was other than they consider the P4P the entry level professional drone. The P3's deficiency with 800+ ISO limits your ability for versatility as to when and where you can produce a quality image.

I wouldn't rule a P3P out for Commercial work though. Between my P3P and my Mavic we invoiced $1800 in work today (as in worked today not accumulated invoices).

Remember the aircraft is just one of the tools in our bag. Our skills and how we utilize these tools makes the difference on how your business goes.

I wouldn't rule a P3P out for Commercial work though. Between my P3P and my Mavic we invoiced $1800 in work today (as in worked today not accumulated invoices).

Remember the aircraft is just one of the tools in our bag. Our skills and how we utilize these tools makes the difference on how your business goes.

Agreed. And WOW $1800 in 1 day! That's the kind of total I'd like to see in a day's work.
I was going to add and echo your previous post that being a professional means knowing your craft in all aspects, so I am learning about photography more so that I understand the tools better.
Right now I have a P3A and have done some roof inspections with great results. I'm going to upgrade it with a P3P cam here shortly, but I am in the market for a second drone.

Agreed. And WOW $1800 in 1 day! That's the kind of total I'd like to see in a day's work.
I was going to add and echo your previous post that being a professional means knowing your craft in all aspects, so I am learning about photography more so that I understand the tools better.
Right now I have a P3A and have done some roof inspections with great results. I'm going to upgrade it with a P3P cam here shortly, but I am in the market for a second drone.

Here's my 2 cents on your comment above (and I mean this with the best of intentions)...

No need to upgrade the camera on your P3A because it's more than capable of doing the work of the P3P for 99% of your work. But, you need another aircraft for What If days. You don't want to show up on a job site and have your primary unit DOA for some reason. We usually show up with at least 2 aircraft and usually more. Our primary we have 2 of so all accessories are interchangeable across the platform.

Here's my 2 cents on your comment above (and I mean this with the best of intentions)...

I am more than appreciative of your insight BigA. That's the exact reason I chimed in on this thread, to get experienced eyes on what I'm doing (not doing) lol. Yes, having multiple birds just makes sense. I spoke with guy in Decatur who's doing a lot of work a month ago and he also has multiple same type aircraft for the same reason.

Thank you!

Just out of curiosity, what is your scope of work?

Reactions: BigAl07
Just out of curiosity, what is your scope of work?

We've been doing this a good while so we've done a little bit of a lot of different things.

My passion is sUAS Search-n-Rescue for our Emergency Services on the county and State level but that doesn't pay the bills. I currently do a lot of Construction Site Progress monitoring, Real Estate, and a lot of Tourism Development work. We are contracted with our county Tourism Development Board and do all of their work.

We've been doing this a good while so we've done a little bit of a lot of different things.

My passion is sUAS Search-n-Rescue for our Emergency Services on the county and State level but that doesn't pay the bills. I currently do a lot of Construction Site Progress monitoring, Real Estate, and a lot of Tourism Development work. We are contracted with our county Tourism Development Board and do all of their work.

Nice! Thanks for the insight!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM