Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Best strobe color for daytime visibility?

SteveBCH

Reaction score
I'm considering putting a couple of strobes on my P4 RTK since I have difficulty seeing it past about 700 ft and would like to get a bit more range during mapping projects. I've read that a white strobe is the best color to enhance daytime drone visibility. Curious what other users have experienced. Thanks.

Hi Steve, I have found white to be the best colour for daytime operations. Most of my flights don’t go out past a 500 metre radius. I am told that different people see different colours differently. I can only suggest that you experiment with what works for you.
Regards

Hi Steve, I have found white to be the best colour for daytime operations. Most of my flights don’t go out past a 500 metre radius. I am told that different people see different colours differently. I can only suggest that you experiment with what works for you.
Regards
Thanks!

Yellow has the highest phototopic brightness for the human vision system and that is true even for people with color vision deficiency. I am not sure if there is a yellow strobe like the Arc V in yellow.

I do not pretend to understand the science of vision, but I do know that white light contains all colors. I wonder then, since white light contains yellow (a combination of the primaries red and green) if white would then be at least as visible as yellow. Think of it as yellow +

If it has X level of brightness equally distributed between R+G+B, then it must have less R+G = Y than a White strobe. The eye is less sensitive to B. This assumes that any Y strobe is equivalent in luminance to the W strobe

Reactions: JimD
I'm considering putting a couple of strobes on my P4 RTK since I have difficulty seeing it past about 700 ft and would like to get a bit more range during mapping projects. I've read that a white strobe is the best color to enhance daytime drone visibility. Curious what other users have experienced. Thanks.
White is the most visible light of those available but keep in mind that any light source is competing with the SUN (even if indirect) so it's only going to help up to a certain distance. WHITE light is much more penetrating than the other colors available in our strobes and in fact some of the leading UAS Strobe manufacturers publish this bit on information on their website for this reason.

Reactions: Gagey52

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC