Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Big Changes Are Coming to the Part 107 Test

Some questions and answers have to be a product of memorization...

Question: According to 14 CFR part 107, what is the maximum groundspeed for a small UA?
Answer: 87 knots

Question: What are the characteristics of stable air?
Answer: Poor visibility and steady precipitation.

Question: According to 14 CFR part 107, what is required to operate a small UA within 30 minutes after official sunset?
Answer: Use of anti-collision lights.

Tell me how they are going to reword these question in a way that knowing the answer doesn't come down to rote memorization?

Tell me how they are going to reword these question in a way that knowing the answer doesn't come down to rote memorization?

People are memorizing the questions instead of the answers, or the pair, and not the information therein. It's not hard to memorize a sentence and relate it to a correct answer if you expect it to be consistent. The known pair allows you to reflex answer the question by the gist of it accurately but they may not know why they are correct. I know because I'm able to do it and I'm aware of it's drawbacks.

If you know the max groundspeed is 87 knots, an appropriately memorized fact, and I ask you a question:

A sUAS without anti-collision lights is flying at 385ft AGL, traveling at 90 knots groundspeed, 5 minutes before official sunset. What variable is non-compliant?

A: Altitude
B: Groundspeed
C: Time of Day

You would quickly spot the speed in excess of 87 knots and know the groundspeed was non-compliant.

If I had randomly generated instances of that question that plug in at random the underlined, bold parts with any range of figures deemed possible for each value, with one always being outside the regulation but just as likely to be groundspeed, altitude, or time of day, if you memorized the question and answer pair and didn't know the regulation value for each, you would be screwed.

If you memorized the regulation values, you would reason on that compared to the situation presented and find the answer.

Memorization isn't always bad, what you memorize can be.

Last edited:
People are memorizing the questions instead of the answers, or the pair, and not the information therein. It's not hard to memorize a sentence and relate it to a correct answer if you expect it to be consistent. The known pair allows you to reflex answer the question by the gist of it accurately but they may not know why they are correct. I know because I'm able to do it and I'm aware of it's drawbacks.

If you know the max groundspeed is 87 knots, an appropriately memorized fact, and I ask you a question:

A sUAS without anti-collision lights is flying at 385ft AGL, traveling at 90 knots groundspeed, 5 minutes before official sunset. What variable is non-compliant?

A: Altitude
B: Groundspeed
C: Time of Day

You would quickly spot the speed in excess of 87 knots and know the groundspeed was non-compliant.

If I had randomly generated instances of that question that plug in at random the underlined, bold parts with any range of figures deemed possible for each value, with one always being outside the regulation but just as likely to be groundspeed, altitude, or time of day, if you memorized the question and answer pair and didn't know the regulation value for each, you would be screwed.

If you memorized the regulation values, you would reason on that compared to the situation presented and find the answer.

Memorization isn't always bad, what you memorize can be.

No matter how you ask that question it doesn’t change the fact that 87 knots is the maximum speed. You can throw in every other variable under the sun but that fact remains a constant and the only way to have that fact available to you is rote memorization.

No matter how you ask that question it doesn’t change the fact that 87 knots is the maximum speed. You can throw in every other variable under the sun but that fact remains a constant and the only way to have that fact available to you is rote memorization.

I have not seen one person here challenge that some things, actually many things, you just need to know, or memorize. Memorizing facts is fine. I fail to understand your desire to defend that view, we all agree on that point.

The discussion here is about how you prove you understand these facts is not by marking down the facts on the test. You prove it by using the facts to solve a problem that doesn't hand you the answer because you memorized some numbers or words.

For example: I believe there were questions on Ohm's Law for my FCC license. If I needed to do a calculation with it for anything I'd have to look it up, I can't remember the formula for Ohm's Law. On those questions I memorized the correct final figure and didn't have to crack out a calculator. It was bad I know, but I actually could not help it, I read the question several times as part of my study and it stuck. But, I didn't end up retaining the fact. I got the question correct because I memorized the question, and knew the question I'd get would have the same figures. This is what the FAA is trying to avoid by redesigning the questions. If the FCC exam was like the FAA is planning, I'd had to memorize Ohm's law and apply it, proving I knew the fact, not the question. And the question didn't give me the fact by containing it.

I don't see what your argument is unless you are being intentionally obtuse for your own amusement which is what I'm starting to suspect.

Some questions and answers have to be a product of memorization...

Question: According to 14 CFR part 107, what is the maximum groundspeed for a small UA?
Answer: 87 knots

Question: What are the characteristics of stable air?
Answer: Poor visibility and steady precipitation.

My apologies. I wasn't clear. Of course you will memorize facts while learning new subjects. The memorization we're talking about here is the memorization of the specific questions on the test along with the correct answer choice. Does that clear it up?

My apologies. I wasn't clear. Of course you will memorize facts while learning new subjects. The memorization we're talking about here is the memorization of the specific questions on the test along with the correct answer choice. Does that clear it up?

I think it’s a difference lacking distinction. All of the questions regarding sectional charts require that you are able to interpret the charts. Many of the questions on the test, especially those related to regulations, you either know the answer or you don’t and the knowing is the product of memorization. As an instrument rated private pilot I understand the need to understand certain concepts and how to apply them. I don’t think there is anywhere near that kind of understanding required for flying drones. The major issue with drones has been an ignorance of the regulations and as mentioned you either know them or you don’t.

I question the intelligence of someone that is trying to fix something that isn't broken (comment not directed at anyone here).
If the feds want to fix something they should fix this 107 testing site snafu. Telling remote pilots whose currency expired in March they must stop flying is unacceptable.

“memorize the questions and answers specific ally” Most my electrical engineering education was spend memorizing questions and answers specifically :). It’s one of the reasons I enjoyed math and science, and disliked English composition.

The difference between engineering, math, and science is your dealing with absolutes in the most part. There are many absolutes in aviation, but reasoning, problem solving in aviation is much different. Many times in aviation you don't have a great deal of time to evaluate and correct a problem, in engineering and math you can work on it as long as needed.
The other issue is pilots need to keep their emotions and personalities in check when the stress level goes over the top. Understanding weather and it's unpredictable behavior at times is another skill that many times requires immediate actions, and not an analyst.
Please don't think I'm not fully aware of the talent it takes to be a good engineer or scientist, and I admire both professions, it just that they are two different disciplines.

The difference between engineering, math, and science is your dealing with absolutes in the most part. There are many absolutes in aviation, but reasoning, problem solving in aviation is much different. Many times in aviation you don't have a great deal of time to evaluate and correct a problem, in engineering and math you can work on it as long as needed.
The other issue is pilots need to keep their emotions and personalities in check when the stress level goes over the top. Understanding weather and it's unpredictable behavior at times is another skill that many times requires immediate actions, and not an analyst.
Please don't think I'm not fully aware of the talent it takes to be a good engineer or scientist, and I admire both professions, it just that they are two different disciplines.

I hear you but as both of us are pilots of manned aircraft and UAVs I think you would agree that there is far more of what you've described required when flying manned aircraft versus UAVs.

The major complaint and reason the whole 107 testing procedure was put in place was based on the claim that UAV pilots didn't know the basic airspace regulations. That was the claim. The test was designed to help eliminate that issue by requiring UAV pilots to know the airspace rules. Added to these very basic requirements were the types of aviation weather briefings, weight and balance calculations, angle of attack and it's impact on lift, runway traffic patterns, impact of hypoxia on decision making ability, etc., etc. In my opinion the vast majority of UAV pilots flying for real estate, crop management, tower inspection, etc., etc. do not need to know these details other than stay clear of controlled airspace unless you have authorization to fly in that airspace.

Am I worried about passing whatever test they come up with? Absolutely not, but I'm also a minimalist. Don't make things more complicated than they have to be to get the job done and 99% of UAV pilots have no need to know the temperature lapse rate is 2C for every 1,000 foot increase in altitude or how to define a temperature inversion.

As @2edgesword stated UAV pilots have no need to know the temperature lapse rate is 2C for every 1,000 foot increase in altitude or how to define a temperature inversion. especially when 400' is the legal height for a UAV.

Hopefully the new test will be much more relevant to what a UAV PIC needs to know.

I think they are already aware of a lot of these issues. The recurrency test I took in September was really focused in on regs and charts. There was not a lot of fluff added. I know it neglected weather and markings and some other non-essential stuff from the first test, but maybe they do get it.

I'd be surprised if they get away from test question memorization. The same format of study and testing has been used by the FAA and Actual Flight Schools for pilots License for 75 years. The FAA would do better to create a practical flight test, in addition to the 'paper one'.

I'm a person that believes in education, but what I see today is so much different than I grew up with. Several years ago one of my grandsons was living with us, he came home and said he needed a scientific calculator, I asked him why. He said for his geometry class, I thought that was ridiculous. When I went to the school and asked the teacher, I found out he was a music teacher and didn't really know math that well.
So what is my point, as already stated today we depend too much on automation and less on our own learned skills. The 737 had and issue come up that would put the aircraft into a dive, without going into detail it killed a couple hundred people and almost caused the crash of a few others. What happened was the pilots couldn't take control away from the computer. If I remember right the plane would give a stall warning and over speed warning at the same time, and put the plane into a dive without warning. So much for Hal driving, and now they want to give us auto driving cars.

Having started engineering school with a slide rule and book of math tables and graduating with an HP-25 programmable scientific calculator that my dad bought me, I’ll take a scientific calculator any day. I still have and use the book and have the calculator, but now I use an HP 48-SX or one of two HP 48-GX calculators and an assortment of computers depending on what I’m doing and where I am. I also have an HP48-SX app on my iPhone. Sadly, HP isn’t making scientific calculators like they used to, but buy the kid a calculator! Get an HP with RPN if you can find it since with RPN you enter and solve equations in the correct mathematical order, which requires you to think. Calculators that use so called algebraic notation don’t require you to think about the math - you just need to be able to type in the equation from left to right without mistakes.

With respect to the topic, I hope the new testing approach will be used for pilots of manned aircraft too. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be fair to UAV pilots.

As a licensed private and commercial UAV pilot, I wish the FAA would allow anyone to fly UAVs VLOS below local topography and hazards to manned aircraft by passing a simple test. Anyone wishing to fly BVLOS and into airspace that can be navigated safely by manned aircraft should still need to pass a more comprehensive test.

With an app on a smart phone, and Bluetooth and a pressure sensor on the UAV, flight control boards could be automatically programmed before each flight to not exceed 400-ft above the launch point. Add GPS and the flight controller could keep the UAV within VLOS. Some fixed-wing RC aircraft already have receiver/control boards that can do this. This would be relatively cheap and easy to do on most UAVs and it would be less intrusive.

Last edited:
With respect to the topic, I hope the new testing approach will be used for pilots of manned aircraft too. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be fair to UAV pilots.
Not sure what you mean here?
I'm a manned pilot and others on here also, manned pilots exams and flight bi annuals are more exhausting then than any UAV pilot would even go through. Did I miss understand your comment???

Not sure what you mean here?
I'm a manned pilot and others on here also, manned pilots exams and flight bi annuals are more exhausting then than any UAV pilot would even go through. Did I miss understand your comment???

Yes, you misunderstood. Sorry if my wording isn’t clear.

In any case, I mean that if the FAA believes that memorizing answers to written test questions is a problem, they should apply the same testing techniques to all pilots, including pilots of manned aircraft. I was not commenting on, nor comparing the relative difficulty of the exams. I just don’t think that there should be a double standard with respect to learning concepts and test question presentation. All pilots should learn concepts and written testing techniques should be the same for all pilots. UAV test questions should be a subset of the same question pool used to prepare private pilot exams with additional questions that are only applicable to UAVs.

I took and passed the original Part 107 test before anyone offered a UAV training program by studying the then current private pilot training manuals and I had a pretty good idea of what the FAA was going to be concerned about. There weren’t any practice exams or questions to remember. The recurrent exam was different since I paid for a training program, studied for about 40-hrs, and took practice exams. I don’t recall that the practice exams were based on the actual FAA question pool or being concerned about it. But I was well prepared for the exam.

I took and passed the written test for private pilot so long ago that I don’t remember much about the written test. There were no practice exams (no Internet as we know it today, and no PCs). I know that I learned a bunch of concepts that I still know and use today.

Last edited:
Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143