Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Bird Harassment

Hello gang,

Momentarily, I am on the secondary stages of negotiation with a local commercial pest management company, who handles the Levis San Francisco 49ers stadium, as well as the new Chase NBA Warriors stadium, who they are looking into utilizing a drone to deter birds from areas of human and structures.

As we all know that Parent birds may abandon a nest if they’re disturbed repeatedly. Even one disturbance can leave their chicks temporarily vulnerable to predators. And flushing birds while they’re roosting or feeding makes it harder for them to build up the energy reserves for successful breeding and migration. The company has used a falconer, but they deemed it to be none efficient and costly, and so is where I come in.

After my initial meeting with the pest management company, I did a personal flight study to note the behavior of the birds (the pigeons of San Francisco ) especially on their defensive characteristics and I've learned that the pigeons (not a scientific study) usually takes off headwind, and land downwind similar to an aircraft and they are also fast in making turns left or right and swift when maneuvering a quick dive, but slow to climb to an altitude. After learning their characteristics, I've created a flight path, according to the wind direction and their flight characters that I hope this will eliminate the possibility of a mid-air collision.

But, again. I only have so little experience and one flight is not enough to base assumptions or create a concrete study. So my question are...... Has any of you been contracted to do this type of job? I will be partnering with @Al Diaz aka bigdz on this job, and he recommends utilizing our DJI enterprise drone to emit predatory sounds over the speakers, would this be beneficial? I know this job will not be a one-time solution, so I have opted for a progressive 1yr or a 2yr contract, but I have to create a case study, and safety procedures to present to the company.

Any ideas are welcome and I thank you all in advance.
Yes I know exactly what to do. I have already dealt with this problem, and with birds much meaner than pigeons. Sea Gulls and Ospreys (Sea Eagles) mostly.

Just set up a contract that authorizes daily practice sessions for the drone racing league, create a bounty for each pigeon corpse, and a drone repair allowance for post pigeon collisions. Charge the racing league an access fee and skim a little off the top of the bounty and repair payments. Ya know, treat it like a government agency function...

Reactions: R.Perry and R.P..R
Just set up a contract that authorizes daily practice sessions for the drone racing league, create a bounty for each pigeon corpse, and a drone repair allowance for post pigeon collisions. Charge the racing league an access fee and skim a little off the top of the bounty and repair payments. Ya know, treat it like a government agency function...

Hahaha!!! This is the best advice thus far... I bet a lot of DRL would sign up, and also pay just to play at the Chase stadium. Because, I for one would love to fly my FPV drone there.

UC Merced has a total of a 1000 acres, the next phase is going to close to 200 acres I'm told. Well jut as they started doing the environmental impact report they decided to lease out the land for cattle grazing, so much for any endangered bugs and birds.

Here in my neck of the woods a couple property owners bought ~100 acres between them about 20 years ago hoping to sub divide. About 15 years ago a (one) somewhat rare salamander was found near a seasonal stream that runs through both properties.

Neither property owner has been able to perform any new building or property improvements since. Both listed the properties for sale, neither has ever sold. One property owner died between now and then. Not one environmentalist has stepped in for the benefit of the property owners. A neighboring cattle rancher grazes his cattle on the land. The 300 adjacent acres without the seasonal stream and salamander has become a new large lot residential subdivision.

I’m with UC Merced. Run the cattle...

Who says you can't fight city hall, as long as you do it legally. Personally I would have added a few long horns with bad attitudes.

Reactions: PatR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy