Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

British padowan

KingRat

Reaction score
Although I have been a reasonably successful, professional, photographer for the last 37 years, having read some of the things on here I feel completely out of my depth. I have worked for blue chip companies for more than a quarter of a century, but the digital age has confounded me. I just don't understand it and find everything incredibly difficult. Even the language is alien! I don't have a business card, or a website, I am known enough within my industry circles to be called on the old fashioned telephone when needed. What that means is, now it comes to try to branch out with my aerial offerings, I haven't a clue how to get myself out there and known. Before you answer, imagine you are trying to describe whatever it is to a 2 year old - for that is about the understanding I have of what is written about on here. I like to think I am reasonably competent with a camera and can fly accurately, but I don't know how to use any of the fancy modes on the flight parameters... I have watched the 'waypoints' tutorials at least 20 times, I still can't programme a waypoint flight into my drone! (M2P)

I am not sure my past industry contacts are even the kind of users of aerial photography/videography and maybe I should be seeking out new outlets. I am very open to suggestions, provided they are polite and constructive.

Welcome to CDP .
Look around and find what your interest is and let it rip . Have any question's feel free to ask any staff
in a message concerning the forum and glad you have joined .
Enjoy and be safe .
0rojyyg-png.363

Reactions: dronecyclops
I am a photographer of more than 50 years experience. I embraced digital when it first arrived and I have been able to develop a reasonably good understanding of digital still photography. Video is a different world requiring new skills being built upon the old and I have much to learn there.

Learning to pilot adds another layer then specialties such as mapping or just learning to work with intelligent flight modes also require more learning. Discussions about the fine points of mapping for example are above my pay grade and I can't follow them, but I don't need to since I don't map.

Other forums such as PhantomPilots and MavicPilots have had threads that helped me and some YouTube videos too (some not so much). I look for information I can understand and apply. Some I cannot because it is not presented well for me or not relevant to my circumstances or equipment.

When I find something that interests me, waypoints for example, I tend to pursue it single-mindedly using all those resources. Sometimes it doesn't help when the software or hardware is glitchy or instructions unclear or wrong. Drones are a nascent technology replete with the growing pains one might expect of such.

You didn't mention many specifics but you mentioned waypoints. To troubleshoot that for you people will need more info about where you run into problems otherwise there's not much they can do. Specifics about what you don't understand, what you are trying to accomplish or drone behavior that doesn't make sense will help others help you.

HTH.

Reactions: KingRat
Hello KingRat,

Just be patient and fly your M2P as much as possible and soon things will all fall in place as to what functions can help develop the shots you’d like. Your advantage over most of the members here is that you know photo composition from your lifelong profession. That’s your greatest selling point so build on that.

Good luck!!

-Ollie

Reactions: Gagey52 and KingRat
I am not sure my past industry contacts are even the kind of users of aerial photography/videography and maybe I should be seeking out new outlets.
Welcome!

I'd say your past contacts are *perfect* candidates for aerial photography. Next time you do a photo shoot for one of them, throw the mp2 in the air and take a photo or two (you'll do great with framing and comp since you already know how to do those), then edit those like any other photo and include them in the deliverable as a "surprise". I bet you'll get some favorable responses!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gagey52 and KingRat
Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. Just keep at it old mate, the more you fly the more it will fall into place for you. What program are you using for waypoints?
Regards

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. Just keep at it old mate, the more you fly the more it will fall into place for you. What program are you using for waypoints?
Regards
I am trying to use the one in the drone. I can't remember all the buttons to press, or even where to find them. Anything that involves 'downloading' is a non-starter, because I have no idea how you download stuff. I have the same problem trying to use the GPS on my motorbike - I can put a post code in and press go, that's it.

I am trying to use the one in the drone. I can't remember all the buttons to press, or even where to find them. Anything that involves 'downloading' is a non-starter, because I have no idea how you download stuff. I have the same problem trying to use the GPS on my motorbike - I can put a post code in and press go, that's it.
Old mate, I think you may need some 'one on one' assistance with this problem. None of your mates flying drones? Could they assist you?
Regards

Old mate, I think you may need some 'one on one' assistance with this problem. None of your mates flying drones? Could they assist you?
Regards
I don't know anyone who flies around here. Many dronists in UK are mini2 fliers due to the regulations. I shall have another go when I have an idea for a mission I could practice on. It needs to be something that interests me, otherwise I can't see the point. I have to want to do it, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for your support though.

Reactions: Gagey52

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC