Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Can you sell drone footage shot on US Forest Service as stock footage?

Ian Moffit

Reaction score
So I know you can fly drones for fun on Forest Service land as long as it is not in a wilderness area or within five miles of a Forest Service helipad or airstrip. However, I was wondering if you have a Part 107 can you sell any videos you shoot on Forest Service land on stock footage websites like black box? When I called a local Forest Service ranger station about drone regulations, the automated prompt made it sound like you cannot fly drones for commercial reasons on Forest Service land but when I went on the Forest Service website I could not find any information about this. I just wanted to ask you all as I always like to make sure I a following the law when flying my drone.

If it is part of National Park Service, then you are not permitted to takeoff/land on NPS property with out a permit. Hard to get, but not impossible as proven by Vic Moss of Drone Service Providers Alliance. You can Fly over as long as your take off, landing and control of the flight are not being performed on NPS service property. Many State parks have similar drone laws.

So I know you can fly drones for fun on Forest Service land as long as it is not in a wilderness area or within five miles of a Forest Service helipad or airstrip. However, I was wondering if you have a Part 107 can you sell any videos you shoot on Forest Service land on stock footage websites like black box? When I called a local Forest Service ranger station about drone regulations, the automated prompt made it sound like you cannot fly drones for commercial reasons on Forest Service land but when I went on the Forest Service website I could not find any information about this. I just wanted to ask you all as I always like to make sure I a following the law when flying my drone.

Flying UAS for Fun on National Forest System Lands​

Anyone who want to fly an unmanned aircraft system (UAS) on National Forest System lands for fun or recreation must meet Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirements.

Flying UAS for Work/Business on National Forest System Lands​

Individuals and organizations wanting to fly an unmanned aircraft system (UAS) on National Forest System Lands for work/business must meet FAA requirements. This includes news media and film and video production companies.
Please visit the FAA's website for more information about flying UAS.
Please contact the FAA or a Forest Service regional aviation officer for more information about flying a drones on over National Forest System lands.
If it is part of National Park Service, then you are not permitted to takeoff/land on NPS property with out a permit. Hard to get, but not impossible as proven by Vic Moss of Drone Service Providers Alliance. You can Fly over as long as your take off, landing and control of the flight are not being performed on NPS service property. Many State parks have similar drone laws.
It's important to note that the US Forest Service is not under the authority of the National Park Service or their No Drone Policies (which I do happen to agree with btw).

US Forest Service is under the U.S. Department of Agriculture
The mission of the USDA Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the Nation’s forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations. National Forests are managed for many purposes—timber, recreation, grazing, wildlife, fish and more.

National Park Service is under U.S. Department of the Interior.
The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations. National Parks are highly vested in preservation, barely altering the existing state.

Here's an interesting tidbit to put the "size" into perspective:
U.S. Forest Service - 193 million acres: 155 National Forests, 20 National Grasslands, 1 National Tallgrass Prairie

National Park System - 84 million acres (55 million in Alaska): 397 areas including National Parks (58), monuments, battlefields, military parks, historical parks, historic sites, lakeshores, seashores, recreation areas, scenic rivers and trails and the White House.

We have a lot of U.S. Forest Service Land here in western NC and except for a few specific areas (designated Wilderness Areas) we can fly in them. This has come up many times and it's easy to get the 2 entities mixed up or even lumped together.

Flying UAS for Fun on National Forest System Lands​

Anyone who want to fly an unmanned aircraft system (UAS) on National Forest System lands for fun or recreation must meet Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirements.

Flying UAS for Work/Business on National Forest System Lands​

Individuals and organizations wanting to fly an unmanned aircraft system (UAS) on National Forest System Lands for work/business must meet FAA requirements. This includes news media and film and video production companies.
Please visit the FAA's website for more information about flying UAS.
Please contact the FAA or a Forest Service regional aviation officer for more information about flying a drones on over National Forest System lands.

It's important to note that the US Forest Service is not under the authority of the National Park Service or their No Drone Policies (which I do happen to agree with btw).

US Forest Service is under the U.S. Department of Agriculture
The mission of the USDA Forest Service is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the Nation’s forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations. National Forests are managed for many purposes—timber, recreation, grazing, wildlife, fish and more.

National Park Service is under U.S. Department of the Interior.
The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations. National Parks are highly vested in preservation, barely altering the existing state.

Here's an interesting tidbit to put the "size" into perspective:
U.S. Forest Service - 193 million acres: 155 National Forests, 20 National Grasslands, 1 National Tallgrass Prairie

National Park System - 84 million acres (55 million in Alaska): 397 areas including National Parks (58), monuments, battlefields, military parks, historical parks, historic sites, lakeshores, seashores, recreation areas, scenic rivers and trails and the White House.

We have a lot of U.S. Forest Service Land here in western NC and except for a few specific areas (designated Wilderness Areas) we can fly in them. This has come up many times and it's easy to get the 2 entities mixed up or even lumped together.
That's what I wanted to double check about. When the forest service says that says you must meet FAA requirements to fly commercially on forest service land then I am guessing that they are just referring to having your Part 107 and having airspace authorization. I just wanted to double check with people on here to be sure about this in case I am missing something.

Reactions: BigAl07
That's what I wanted to double check about. When the forest service says that says you must meet FAA requirements to fly commercially on forest service land then I am guessing that they are just referring to having your Part 107 and having airspace authorization. I just wanted to double check with people on here to be sure about this in case I am missing something.

No it's pretty straight forward as far as I can tell. I'm surprised they don't require some type of "Commercial Drone Permit".

No it's pretty straight forward as far as I can tell. I'm surprised they don't require some type of "Commercial Drone Permit".
I’ve worn national park service and forest service patches on my work uniforms before, and also was an environmental monitor on different projects for the forest service. It’s probable that a permit for commercial film shooting will be necessary and they do require a notification with the district, they may have some limitations on the permit when you can fly (like during sensitive bird species nesting season, especially by location). It is best to call the district that you want to fly in and double check.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215