Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

CASA RePL and ReOC

Firedrone

Reaction score
G'day to all the Australian Drone pilots.
I figured that I would start this thread as a place to discuss CASA rules and regulations and other Australian specific issues.

Here are some useful (and maybe not so useful) links for pilots just starting out. (Like me;))

Flying drones commercially [CASA]
Flying drones commercially | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Can I fly there? App
Android
Can I fly there? - Android Apps on Google Play

IOS
Can I fly there? on the App Store

List of ReOC Licensed companys
UAS certificate holders | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

And if anyone else had any hints or info that would be good.

Good luck to you all in 2018!

Reactions: Mikemal
Good to see some Australians here. I am in some of the Australian FaceBook groups.

I have been a bit of a lurker on the groups and other forums. I did register for the sub 2 Kg class which presents an issue as I only have an Inspire 1 which at 2.7kg is above the class weight.

I am doing my RePL and then I will seek out a friendly OC holder. My main interest is in Landscape Photography and being able to market images taken with the Inspire 1

Good to see some Australians here. I am in some of the Australian FaceBook groups.

I have been a bit of a lurker on the groups and other forums. I did register for the sub 2 Kg class which presents an issue as I only have an Inspire 1 which at 2.7kg is above the class weight.

I am doing my RePL and then I will seek out a friendly OC holder. My main interest is in Landscape Photography and being able to market images taken with the Inspire 1
How was it possible to register with CASA in the under 2kg class with an Inspire 1? Didn't they query that?

G'day to all the Australian Drone pilots.
I figured that I would start this thread as a place to discuss CASA rules and regulations and other Australian specific issues.

Here are some useful (and maybe not so useful) links for pilots just starting out. (Like me;))

Flying drones commercially [CASA]
Flying drones commercially | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Can I fly there? App
Android
Can I fly there? - Android Apps on Google Play

IOS
Can I fly there? on the App Store

List of ReOC Licensed companys
UAS certificate holders | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

And if anyone else had any hints or info that would be good.

Good luck to you all in 2018!
Other good FREE resources are:
AirCheck | Australian Airspace & Flight Display
SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts
Home - Emergency WA Warnings & Incidents
Perth Wind Forecast, WA 6000 - WillyWeather

Last edited:
How was it possible to register with CASA in the under 2kg class with an Inspire 1? Didn't they query that?

You don’t need to identify the Drone in use when you register. In my intro I did mention I fly my Inspire 1 under the Recreational Rules.

I should mentioned that on my post above

The plan is to buy an under 2kg drone

Hello to all fellow Aussies,
I am based in Tassie and have both the required RePL and ReOC. The plan is to make realestate photography and video my bread and butter the market is going crazy here!
i have completed a few mapping missions and have a 100 acre property to map next week.
By far the largest expense has been acquiring the licences through CASA, a close second has been website build which is about to be finalised, add to that a new PC, logo, uniform, two way radios, stationary the list goes on. Insurance I have not taken the plunge on but $780 annually for 20 million public liability seems pretty good?
My advice to anyone is to stay as a hobbyist until you really need insurance, here in Tassie the dollars spent are hard to justify.

Reactions: Ian Fraser
I am based in Tassie and have both the required RePL and ReOC. The plan is to make realestate photography and video my bread and butter the market is going crazy here!
i have completed a few mapping missions and have a 100 acre property to map next week.
By far the largest expense has been acquiring the licences through CASA, a close second has been website build which is about to be finalised, add to that a new PC, logo, uniform, two way radios, stationary the list goes on. Insurance I have not taken the plunge on but $780 annually for 20 million public liability seems pretty good?
My advice to anyone is to stay as a hobbyist until you really need insurance, here in Tassie the dollars spent are hard to justify.

G'day,
How did find the process of getting your RePL and ReOC? And whats the cost like, both of getting them and to renew them?

Hi Russell.
I'm in Byron Bay/Bangalow, NSW. I got a good Insurance deal, (I'll post the details if you like when I'm back home.) As I previously posted a short time ago, I'm just awaiting CASA to approve my ReOC, (they have been in touch with me to modify a few things in my application,) then all should be good to go. My Insurance Policy covers both Pub Liab and theft and damage. More later if you are interested. Mic.

I think we replied at the same time. I'll move forward. Got RePl through Ace Aviation in Brisbane. $1800 which included AROC. Then $1200 for ReOC documentation compilation, (I know, could have done it myself but too many things happening,) then $1250 deposit for CASA to review. AExtra time to modify my submission will mean less of deposit coming back to me but Ace aviation will b e billed to make up the costs. CASA not the quickest Gov Dept I've dealt with but I am glad there is regulation happening in this fast growing industry. Have to sign out but will be looking closely at this Forum.

G'day,
How did find the process of getting your RePL and ReOC? And whats the cost like, both of getting them and to renew them?
The process was demanding, in total it cost around $3500 inc the training for the RePL with AVIASSIST.
I was required to get my AROC but that has changed and I believe it is not required anymore.
Renewal is just under $400 after CASA audits your record keeping.
CASA was really good to deal with although it took over 100 days for them to process my ReOC, I got $400 back from the $1280 up front fee.
I must say the telephone interview was long, over two hours I think I have burnt a hole in the side of my brain from the mobile phone :p

Hi Russell.
I'm in Byron Bay/Bangalow, NSW. I got a good Insurance deal, (I'll post the details if you like when I'm back home.) As I previously posted a short time ago, I'm just awaiting CASA to approve my ReOC, (they have been in touch with me to modify a few things in my application,) then all should be good to go. My Insurance Policy covers both Pub Liab and theft and damage. More later if you are interested. Mic.
Hello to you! I lived in Ballina before we travelled for 5 years and settled in Tassie 2 years ago. I am very interested! insurance is the last hurtle. I dropped the drone cover to make the policy cheaper, would be keen to see what you have found.
Cheers

Hello to you! I lived in Ballina before we travelled for 5 years and settled in Tassie 2 years ago. I am very interested! insurance is the last hurtle. I dropped the drone cover to make the policy cheaper, would be keen to see what you have found.
Cheers
Hi Russell,
I went with CGU Business Insurance Melbourne Vic Ph: 132481.
A) Broadform Liability and Legal liability. $377.02 annually, Propery $50,000 property damage, Legal $10 million. $250 excess.
B) Multiple risk on all equipment, (batts, drone, sd card filters etc. value $3800,) $173.67 annually
No theft cover. I pay monthly. Best deal I could find.
Cheers,
Mic

Hi guys, does anyone know the best location to discuss professional RPA issues for Australia. What is the facebook group mentioned where RPA regulations can be discussed?

My "Where can I fly" app is now showing so many more HLS (helicopter landing) around than last time I looked. It now makes it very dicey flying anywhere in or within 10km of cities. I have ReOC but now feel that I can barely do any jobs clients request.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM