Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Cellular Data vs Wi-Fi vs Airplane Mode???

ndbwhunter

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which iPad to buy to fly my P4P v2.0. My understanding is that with cellular data or wi-fi connection you don't need to cache maps ahead of time. First off, help me understand why the maps are important.
Are they just important pre-planning and setting up missions in advance and/or on-site? DJI's instructions state that cellular data is needed. I'm assuming that's not true, but why would they say that? I'm just trying to understand
the pros and cons of an iPad with or without cellular. I'm guessing I could still fly in the middle of no where with an iPad without a cellular or wi-fi connection. k

I apologize for the seemingly dumb questions....just trying to wrap my head around all this.

I'm trying to decide which iPad to buy to fly my P4P v2.0. My understanding is that with cellular data or wi-fi connection you don't need to cache maps ahead of time.
First off, help me understand why the maps are important.
First up, the maps aren't at all important. I think I've used maps twice in 4 years of serious flying.
Secondly, if you want or need maps, you can cache them in advance or use your mobile phone as a hotspot.
I'm just trying to understand the pros and cons of an iPad with or without cellular. I'm guessing I could still fly in the middle of no where with an iPad without a cellular or wi-fi connection.
You can use cellular data to download maps in the field (if you have mobile coverage) but this is of very little importance.
Apple have confused a lot of people because they only put GPS receivers in cellular capable iPads (while almost all Android tablets have GPS).
There are only two situations where a GPS receiver in the phone or tablet is used.

1. To reset the home point to the current location of the controller.
This is only useful if the operator is working from a moving car/boat etc

2. Follow-me flight
The Phantom has to have position data from the subject to be followed (the controller)

There are no other situations where the GPS receiver in the phone/tablet is of any use.
All up I would suggest that having/not having cellular capability is of very little importance.

Reactions: rfaaj and BigAl07
First up, the maps aren't at all important. I think I've used maps twice in 4 years of serious flying.
Secondly, if you want or need maps, you can cache them in advance or use your mobile phone as a hotspot.

You can use cellular data to download maps in the field (if you have mobile coverage) but this is of very little importance.
Apple have confused a lot of people because they only put GPS receivers in cellular capable iPads (while almost all Android tablets have GPS).
There are only two situations where a GPS receiver in the phone or tablet is used.

1. To reset the home point to the current location of the controller.
This is only useful if the operator is working from a moving car/boat etc

2. Follow-me flight
The Phantom has to have position data from the subject to be followed (the controller)

There are no other situations where the GPS receiver in the phone/tablet is of any use.
All up I would suggest that having/not having cellular capability is of very little importance.

Thank you for the detailed explanation! So, if I were to purchase an iPad with cellular capabilities, will it require cellular data to utilize the GPS? I'm just curious if I "need" a data plan to use the GPS.

So, if I were to purchase an iPad with cellular capabilities, will it require cellular data to utilize the GPS? I'm just curious if I "need" a data plan to use the GPS.
GPS position data comes from GPS satellites orbiting the earth.
The signals are received and interpreted by your GPS receiver.
Cellular data is not involved at all.
I mentioned above the only two situations you could use GPS in your tablet.
Neither is used much (if at all) by most flyers.
If you get a non-GPS iPad, it will be just as useful for flying as a GPS enabled iPad.

I have a cellular IPad air without service. It works great for gps locating, just cache the car maps..thats all i got

The most important thing to me concerning maps is when the lady says “The Homepoint has been set...Check it on the map!” It’s nice to be sure it’s going to come back to you if you lose connection.

The most important thing to me concerning maps is when the lady says “The Homepoint has been set...Check it on the map!” It’s nice to be sure it’s going to come back to you if you lose connection.
All you really need to check is the distance shown in the app.

I belive you need a cellular Ipad in order to have GPS capabilities in the Ipad. You can also use a hotspot from your iphone to a non-cell ipad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakil10