Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Changing rules

I would say the short answer is no. The updated regulations refer to flying over people, flying at night and introduces remote ID. They do not change anything when it comes to flying beyond line of sight or flying at higher altitudes. The waiver process would still deal with BVLOS and altitude requests outside normal regs.

Now how far out can you fly your drone at night and keep line of sight? Until we get transponders drones, they aren't going to give us too much freedom, and that is understandable.

My question was mainly about the commercial end, with companies like Amazon, and FedEx, and others who want to start drone deliveries. How can that be accomplished, and still comply with LOS and altitude restrictions?

My question was mainly about the commercial end, with companies like Amazon, and FedEx, and others who want to start drone deliveries. How can that be accomplished, and still comply with LOS and altitude restrictions?
They have been able to apply for BVLOS waivers if they want. Same with altitude, but I do not expect they would need to fly more than 400" AGL.I do not think the new regs deal with either yet ... they need to implement Remote ID first and get that squared away.

The problem with 107.31 waivers is not getting them, but as currently written:

“c) Section 107.31 - Visual line of sight aircraft operation. However, no waiver of this provision will be issued to allow the carriage of property of another by aircraft for compensation or hire.”

So, even if you get a VLOS waiver, you can’t carry any cargo.

Now how far out can you fly your drone at night and keep line of sight? Until we get transponders drones, they aren't going to give us too much freedom, and that is understandable.
Hi Perry,
When I fly night missions, I use the FAA required strobe and reflective markings (tape). I found (weather conditions clear) that the strobe is visible for the limit of 3 miles, but that is at the limit of the size of the strobe. There are not a lot of strobes in the "super light weight" class for our drones.
Larr2000

Reactions: R.Perry
They won’t need to ‘comply’, because they have DEEP pocket$. Complying is for the wee poeple, you know the ones that actually pay the bills. It’s going to get very interesting when folks starts receiving letters from the FA LA LA LA administration for altitude violations with the links attached, revealing flight telemetry and the associated fine(s) for the said violation(s). Oh and copies forwarded to the local PD. These will not be like the ones for a parking meter violations either.

So much wrong with this post. The following is for anyone who reads your post and wants to know the actual truth.
They won’t need to ‘comply’, because they have DEEP pocket$.
They most certainly will have to comply. Not with 107, but with Part 135. And deep pockets have zero to do with this. As a matter of fact, they wanted the internet transmission RID requirement. And they lost big time.

Complying is for the wee poeple, you know the ones that actually pay the bills.
I'm not sure how you think we pay the bills. At $5 per registration, and only $160 for the initial test (& free thereafter). And the recreational test will be free as well. So we're obviously not paying any bills.

It’s going to get very interesting when folks starts receiving letters from the FA LA LA LA administration for altitude violations with the links attached, revealing flight telemetry and the associated fine(s) for the said violation(s).
RID will not be stored, so there is no way for the FAA to send anyone a violation. But at worst, an LEO will show up and possible give you a ticket.

Oh and copies forwarded to the local PD. These will not be like the ones for a parking meter violations either.
I honestly have no idea where you came up with this statement. It wreaks of paranoia and/or LEO disrespect.

Everyone needs to take what @rkbarms wrote with a grain of salt. None of what he posted is even close to the truth.

Reactions: GStuart
If RID will not be stored, then why is it imperative that it be tracked, Vic? So we have ‘your’ personal assurance on this, correct? Thank you for your opinion, it can now be deposited in the circular file.

If RID will not be stored, then why is it imperative that it be tracked, Vic? So we have ‘your’ personal assurance on this, correct? Thank you for your opinion, it can now be deposited in the circular file.
It will be tracked in real time. So people who ignore rules can be found and educated. Or depending on attitude, prosecuted.

And as I mentioned, based on your attitude obvious in your OP, my response was for people who aren't anti-authority. So you can do what you like with my opinion. Which by the way isn't opinion.

My original comment was only concerning, if the same restrictions would apply to delivery companies, which right now is a guess. Personally, I wear a seatbelt, fly below 400', do the speed limit, or close to it, and fly VLOS, and will follow the FAA guidelines to the best of my ability. I love flying, for the hobby, and for my business, and I don't want to screw that up.

My original comment was only concerning, if the same restrictions would apply to delivery companies, which right now is a guess. Personally, I wear a seatbelt, fly below 400', do the speed limit, or close to it, and fly VLOS, and will follow the FAA guidelines to the best of my ability. I love flying, for the hobby, and for my business, and I don't want to screw that up.
Delivery companies either have waivers or fly under Part 135. So they will not fall under the same restrictions. And odds are they'll be required to have network based RID as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905