Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Class B airspace advice

Adzphoto

Reaction score
Hi All. Next week I'm contracted to film some aerials within class B airspace. I requested authorization through Dronezone the other week and just got approved for my mission within the flight area I submitted. Can anybody who has experience flying within Class B give me some advice about my next step? other then the safety precautions I’m putting in place. Is it good practice to call the nearest airport’s ATC to inform them. This will be my first time flying under these conditions and want to conduction this the correct way. Any good advice would be appreciated.

Adz

Hi,

Once you have obtained LAANC authorization, there is no need to contact the tower. Just make sure that you are flying within the parameters that were approved (geographical area, time window, max altitude, etc...).

You still need to submit a NFZ Unlock with DJI. That can be done in real-time at the site but you will need an Internet connection to do so. I would suggest applying for the unlock in advance and downloading the unlock license to your drone. That way you know you won't have any issues onsite.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
I've flown in class B, C and international airports.
You do not need to contact ATC, if you already have your LAANC approval.
Take that with you when flying.
Make sure you have your 107 if it's for business.
I wear a bright orange safety vest when flying, and sometimes a hard hat depending on my projects.

Thanks for the information. Great advice about the NFZ. Working on that right now.

Cheers

I’ve also flown in SFC Class B.....just get your LAANC approval and fly within it....I’ve had no issues getting mine approved.

Like others say, if you deal with NFZ’s, get it in advance if you can.

Oh yea I forgot about the 520, Hmmmmm.
How's that bird flying for you?
H+ also has NFZ availability.

It's doing very well for me. My first "off-the-shelf" sUAS was a Blade Q250 which I believe was just a Yuneec before they got bigger. So I was not surprised by the subtle differences etc between DJI and Yuneec. Some people just hate it after flying a DJI but I enjoy the "Freedom" of Yuneec and even more so the H520.

In fact I just sold my Inspire 1V2 because I don't fly it after getting the H520. It literally sat in my workshop for a couple of months. A Sheriff's Dept that I trained asked me if I knew of one for sales and I put my Inspire in their home last week LOL.

It's doing very well for me. My first "off-the-shelf" sUAS was a Blade Q250 which I believe was just a Yuneec before they got bigger. So I was not surprised by the subtle differences etc between DJI and Yuneec. Some people just hate it after flying a DJI but I enjoy the "Freedom" of Yuneec and even more so the H520.

In fact I just sold my Inspire 1V2 because I don't fly it after getting the H520. It literally sat in my workshop for a couple of months. A Sheriff's Dept that I trained asked me if I knew of one for sales and I put my Inspire in their home last week LOL.
Nice to hear the 520 is working for you. It's a great machine, sometimes I don't understand what all the rhetoric is about.
My son is planning being on the swat team, if it's implemented.
I would sure like to introduce the 520 to them when it happens.

Reactions: BigAl07
Nice to hear the 520 is working for you. It's a great machine, sometimes I don't understand what all the rhetoric is about.
My son is planning being on the swat team, if it's implemented.
I would sure like to introduce the 520 to them when it happens.

That's AWESOME! I'm a huge fan of LEA from local to National levels so CONGRATS to him.

Re:H520 for SWAT - I just wish is was a smaller form factor especially for close in type of work. I've built one of those "Full Cages" for mine and it's HUGE when you get the cage fully on it.

We are helping some LEA get set up and if their budget isn't M210 friendly I'm suggesting H520's and M2ED units. H520 for the big work and the M2ED for close in and inside stuff.

The H520 is a good work horse and with easily swappable payloads you get a lot of bang for your buck. I'm hoping to get the new E10T thermal to upgrade from my CGOET thermal later this year. I would love to have 640 resolution on my thermal side.

Reactions: AH-1G
Hi All. Next week I'm contracted to film some aerials within class B airspace. I requested authorization through Dronezone the other week and just got approved for my mission within the flight area I submitted. Can anybody who has experience flying within Class B give me some advice about my next step? other then the safety precautions I’m putting in place. Is it good practice to call the nearest airport’s ATC to inform them. This will be my first time flying under these conditions and want to conduction this the correct way. Any good advice would be appreciated.

Adz
Adzphoto, I notice that - in your original post - you say you got your authorization through the DroneZone. So, would it be safe to assume that you received a COA or COW rather than a LAANC authorization? If so, your prep and flight will be slightly different.

As previously stated by others in the group, with a LAANC authorization you "kick the tires, light the fire, and give it the go juice." With a COA you will have to abide by any communications instructions (or VO requirement, etc.) contained in the COA and/or your original application. (Of course, if it doesn't instruct you to contact a specific entity, then it's pretty much the same thing as the LAANC authorization.) And, if instructed, don't forget the "mission completed" call when you finish your flight ops.

Oh, don't forget to take a copy of your authorization with you. Oversight and surveillance "ramp checks" by FSDO inspectors is still a rarity for sUAS operators but likely increase in frequency going forward - particularly in controlled airspaces that have experienced "issues." (Not as scary as it may sound. I look at it as just another sign of sUAS integration into the NAS.)

Hope that's helpful.

Be safe, keep it legal, and have fun.

Reactions: dronie326

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StewR