Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Class B airspace waiver Approved. I still have a question.

Bob

Reaction score
I am taking a video/photography class with dslr camera and my phantom 4 pro. some of our outings are near downtown Dallas TX on top of a parking garage. it is 54 agl. Laanc is not functioning here yet but app says automated approval to 100ft coming soon. Our drone group flies about 4 miles north west of here at a park and we get clearance to 100 ft and at one time laanc did work here, but some conflict between DFW and Love field air space is now the hang up to be resolved soon. I want to see about getting FAA approval but I have never done this before as all my usual flying is in class G airspace except for when with our drone group.
Where do I go online to complete and submit a request. I would like to this under part 107 as photos will be shared with instructor on their website and face book. I apologize for not not knowing this off the top of my head but I have so many sites bookmarked thought just asking would be the best way and perhaps get a few good tips on to complete the request. I will be flying just below the 100 ft limit. thanks as always for the the help.
P.S. 2 things I have learned.on top of garage. I get compass error, but lifting the drone up about shoulder high no error and home point established (props off) placing the drone on a ledge I have got some great shots and am learning a lot about the camera settings and especially at civil twilight time. Love these classes!

One precautionary note: the FAA may not be processing 107.41s during the government shutdown. (They certainly aren't doing testing.) Submit the online application. But if it's status doesn't change to "Under Review" in a few days you might want to look for alternatives - for example, find a pilot who holds a COA for DFW who would be willing to serve as designated supervisor-pilot (you do the piloting while he/she keeps things legal) for the flights.

Good luck!

Thanks, I am not in a big hurry so hopefully the government shutdown will be over when I need this for our next evening get together. I was thinking I need to submit this 3 to 5 days prior to the event with this be about normal for approval time?

Thanks, I am not in a big hurry so hopefully the government shutdown will be over when I need this for our next evening get together. I was thinking I need to submit this 3 to 5 days prior to the event with this be about normal for approval time?
A LAANC "automatic" authorization will usually be issued in minutes. A LAANC "manual" authorization can take up to 30 days. A 107.41 can take up to 90 days.

To play it safe, follow BigA107's suggestion. Then check for the "Pending" to "Under Review" status change on your Dashboard (which would affirm that it is being processed.)

DFW is pretty fast, I got a blanket wide area authorization from them recently took less than 2 weeks.

Okay thank you that's good information. Laanc is not up yet for the DFW area at least the last time we were downtown however I know they will eventually get the bug worked out.

Okay thank you that's good information. Laanc is not up yet for the DFW area at least the last time we were downtown however I know they will eventually get the bug worked out.

I would have to double check but most of the civilian airports in Texas got me a response in 1-2 weeks. Quite a few military too. I am still waiting on a few military airbases for over a month now though.

I recently blanketed the entire state for wide area authorizations at every non-LAANC airport in anticipation of potential client work in the state.

Just a quick FYI update -

We submitted a manual application for a commercial flight in a 0' AGL (i.e., "No Fly") grid NW of DFW two days ago via AirMap and just received the authorization notification this morning. I don't think it in any way effected the application timetable but (not being privy to the processing protocol) I will say that we already hold 107.41s for all non-LAANC and DoD fields in Texas, including 3 that don't appear on the UASFM.

Best of luck, and Happy New Year.

I will say that we already hold 107.41s for all non-LAANC and DoD fields in Texas, including 3 that don't appear on the UASFM.

Earnest, curious about your DoD fields.

I have an airport that is public, civilian, but approach control is Navy. I have a CoA for the surface E airspace but unlike any of my other CoAs, it requires notifying them prior and after operation. Also, I was told by an associate in the FAA uas airspace dept. that unlike other controllers, the Navy also will not approve operation in a 0' grid.

I'm wondering what your experience is with other DoD controlled airports?

Earnest, curious about your DoD fields.

I have an airport that is public, civilian, but approach control is Navy. I have a CoA for the surface E airspace but unlike any of my other CoAs, it requires notifying them prior and after operation. Also, I was told by an associate in the FAA uas airspace dept. that unlike other controllers, the Navy also will not approve operation in a 0' grid.

I'm wondering what your experience is with other DoD controlled airports?
Our experience has been quite good. Initial turnaround on early applications was 90-120 days, but seems to have shortened dramatically recently. (well, pre-shutdown.) We've received phone calls from base ops with questions regarding our intentions - very polite, very professional, and all resulted in approvals. And (as I mentioned in an earlier post) we've even applied for, and received, 107.41s from three DoD facilities that aren't on the UASFM.

Can't address the issue of requests for 0' grids at DoD fields. We decided early on that, due to federal law restrictions and very understandable national security concerns, it really wasn't worth our while to pursue authorizations within DoD "No Fly" zones. (Of course we would be delighted to re-evaluate that decision if one of the bases were to approach us with a project.) :)

I got it done and sent, waiting on answer with fingers crossed...lol

I WAS APPROVED! I was notified today that my application was approved. They made some changes to it. I requested it to e effective 60 days from application date. Effective 1/3/2019 to 9/30/2019, awesome! I originally requested per the options provided 1/10 nm the lowest distance they offered, from my take off point. They gave me a 14 CFR 107.41 WIDE AREA AIRSPACE AUTHORIZATION. I actually never planned on ever requesting any sort of waiver but this allows for flights when at my video/photography class. I am still going to be flying less than 90ft AGL and within 100 yards of my take off point, but is there a way I can see the actual area covered by this waiver? I was thinking it might be the LAANC grid that I am in. LAANC is not up and running at my location at the moment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakil10