Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Clients wanting unedited footage ...

I'd like to start asking around after our ground based pro photog brothers. I'm sure this is a very old problem for them as professionals. If raw, untouched was requested and subsequently submitted and the result turns out to be a pile of smoking dung, then I suppose the buyer has only themselves to blame. However, I must point out, while I am NOT in the business of teaching this lesson to clients, I'd rather prefer they get a good product and learn a little about what they don't know or understand as a result.

It's a slippery slope. I suspect other photographers responses to these questions will run the gamut and we'll have to decide what's best for ourselves and the profession at the end of the day.

There are a boatload of realty companies out there who have scoffed at my pricing model, went out and purchased a quad (after choking a little on those prices) and either hosed the quad, hosed the video or both. Caveat Emptor 'all ... I digress.
Not to mention the fact that they're (probably unwittingly) breaking several laws with their new drone...

If the client wanted RAW footage, I guess I would work with the client to figure out exactly what they're looking for and what their skills are. Are they planning on cutting the film, if not, you may want to start/stop the video to do your own RAW cuts. Are they going to color grade the footage? If not, maybe don't shoot in some kind of LOG profile. In the end, they're putting their name on the footage.

IF someone ever asked "who they heck shot that footage, it looks like crap" (because its not yet finished), and the client points to you, then have the example of what you gave them and what you can do with it, as an example. May be a chance to gain a new client and show your capabilities. Often times, clients don't appreciate how much goes into post processing.

The challenge seems to be a lack of information followed by a lack of communication. Users see our footage and say, "wow, I'd like to see that for my ..... " with close to zero understanding of what goes into eliciting that response. Ya can't know what ya don't know - at least not until you realize that you don't know of course. Many users, certainly not all, eyes glaze over when they hear "post -processing", or "color grading", let along titles, transitions, audio/music. The degree to which someone feels as though they got what they paid for is the result of their own understanding (or lack thereof) of what they are looking for, your failure to provide it, or both.

For me, its all about CYA. There is some great perspective to be had above, but I'm in the camp that after delivery, you have no control and for me it's just not worth it. All my product goes out clean.

Everyone makes some very valid points here. I think what it really boils down to is the less glamorous aspect of a really cool job which is consulting and salesmanship.
Remember, this is all very new technology for most of our prospective clients, many are somewhat tech savvy (they know enough to be dangerous) but their assumption is “hey, I’ve put together some nice slide shows in iMovie, how hard can it be...”
Consult, educate, once a client understands that just like the baker doesn’t sell dough, we offer a complete product.
Be professional and sell a commercial, finished product, not dough...

I half agree...I agree is comes down to salesmanship, but this is not a new problem and has been around for decades in video and photo. And the argument that its my product and I cant let someone wreck it is a little off to me. Your name is not etched in the footage (metadata yes not watermarked so everyone can see), you are paid to supply media, supply the media and walk away if that is what you are paid to do. If you can charge premium for RAW, for a few reasons (1 your losing control of the final product, 2 It IS industry standard). I have come across more clients than I count that did something I did not agree with creatively ( and sometimes technical). But guess what, creative is creative - he who pays you makes the call. If they want to put a floating ***** in your drone footage I think them paying you makes that ok. Now maybe if your Spielberg or Lucas you can go the route of I wont if I dont have total creative control....but remember even they have producers/studio execs and dont always get their way.
Lastly most videographers, drone operators, script writers, photogs, are all ingredients to a much larger pie and unless you do the marketing, post production, motion graphics, scriptwriting, producing storyboarding etc etc you are only a piece of a pie, not the chef - and even the chef reports to the owner. Do your job, do it well and make your clients happy, these things will keep you busy and more work coming your way.
Just curious when you say "goes out clean" I am assuming your providing good footage (exposure ISO etc) and your afraid they are going to color grade it incorrectly? What looks good to you might not look good to someone else, balanced is balanced but you might be shocked what happens to your footage once a real post production person gets a hold of it. NOTHING GOES OUT WITHOUT EDITING BEYOND THE CAMERA, nothing professional anyway, balanced or not. Trust me on this.

I can relate TOTALLY! I had a client last year who insisted she wanted RAW footage and she "had someone" who would tweak and edit it. So I sold it to her right out of the camera.

A few weeks later I saw it on her website and it was HORRIBLE! She had done nothing but put all of the clips together back to back to back and had not even cut 1 second out let alone color grade or anything, It looks like something a 3rd grader had produced back in 1990. I was relieved that nothing on the video pointed to me or my company in any way.

I suppose you could specify "No Credits" when selling your work unedited.

Reactions: BigAl07
I hear you and boy does it stink when you try so hard to capture balanced, in focus, properly exposed footage and a "creative" decides to "instagram" the footage. Yellow,muted, UGLY.I cringe, literally cringe. Im in the middle of that right now. I've learned ( somewhat) to just ask for the check and move on - as nothing is worse than fighting over someones creative vision...often you find out its the customers - now your somewhat disagreeing with what the client wants which almost never leads to gig #2. But I do agree it stinks!

I recently filmed a venue for a client who produces video packages for weddings (land video).. I was hired to supplement their on the ground videographer.

I made sure that the all understood the legal ramifications of filming over large groups of people and what some of the constraints might be, etc. It's amazing how often I am asked to violate this month's drone laws!

Anyway, the purpose of this post - I'm just expressing my lack of comfort when a client insists on raw footage, no editing, etc. I always film in 4K and use custom settings to maximize post production opportunities. As you know, untouched footage like this is not appealing until I've had my way with it in post. Often, I never get to see finished products that use (or NOT) my footage, which I find a bit unnerving. From $300-600 p/h, I supposed I can live with that but it's often unsettling!

Can anyone else relate to this?

Weve done a few jobs with hiccups in the footage that we were annoyed to hand over but in reality you will always critique your footage as an artist and the people will care less than you do if they have a good editor.

Just be happy your getting a good pay for less work :)

We are trying to distance ourselves from editing on high end jobs now anyway and using our editing team. I keep been told over and over to stick to your strengths and use a team to do your best by other well established professionals so be an aerial camera operator and enjoy it pal i say :)

If others do a terrible job of editing your work its beyond you, get paid and move on :)

I'm still learning video, about six months ago my client asked if I could do videos (UC Merced, CA) I said sure. Well I just took a look back at my first videos, they were terrible even after edit. Fortunately for construction documentation the quality wasn't their concern. I'm now shooting one video a week, about 4 minutes after edit, and learning a lot. What amazes me it the client is now using the video more than the panos and elevations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91