Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Clients wants aerial Real Estate pics for $1.42 each

Per my previous remarks, no way have I ever caved to these ridiculous prices - nor will I in the future. I agree about Unions - don't like them - abusing their original intent. I prefer that hypothetical Professionals Standards group I mentioned.

I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is rely on yourself and conduct your operation professionally. You do not need an outside entity to govern how you do it. The rules and regs are already there. All you need to inject into the mix is your skill at your chosen specialty. No one else is going to look after your best interest like you will.

The free market will take care of that. We don't need any more "controllers" in this business or any other.
"The free market will take care of that. We don't need any more "controllers" in this business or any other. "
Couldn't have said it any better. I've been at this since the 333 days and it took me a ( Mod Removed Language ) of a long time to start making a profit and establish credibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a sad state currently for the photography and video folks. I don't see that changing unfortunately, its a low hanging fruit that many consider easy to grab and not very valuable.

For anyone trying to build their business I think the best advice is coming up with value adds.

Maybe offer 360 video/ photo tours, and the ability to host then yourself for the realtor.

Sadly I think the best thing for someone trying to fly professionally full time one needs to find a specialized skillset/experience to go with the flying.
Whether it be thermal, mapping, inspections, multispectral etc.

If one wants a lifetime of decent paying photography stuff I would look into doing anything one can to get into powerline, solar, building, wind tower etc inspections. Just be ready to travel a lot for the better paying more consistent jobs. Not as much chance for being artistic or creative, unless one gets excited about being a creative master of effectiveness and efficiency and constantly seeking to innovate ?

For anyone trying to build their business I think the best advice is coming up with value adds.

Maybe offer 360 video/ photo tours, and the ability to host then yourself for the realtor.

Sadly I think the best thing for someone trying to fly professionally full time one needs to find a specialized skillset/experience to go with the flying.

And remember the UAS is a tool; not a magic wand. You need to know what you are doing and have a skillset before you add a drone to the toolbox. The drone will not make you a photographer or cell tower inspector or surveyor. You need the background first. That is how you land good paying jobs; based upon your profession. Not a drone.

It is a sad state currently for the photography and video folks. I don't see that changing unfortunately, its a low hanging fruit that many consider easy to grab and not very valuable.

If one wants a lifetime of decent paying photography stuff I would look into doing anything one can to get into powerline, solar, building, wind tower etc inspections. Just be ready to travel a lot for the better paying more consistent jobs. Not as much chance for being artistic or creative, unless one gets excited about being a creative master of effectiveness and efficiency and constantly seeking to innovate ?

Believe it or not I used to make a good living and for many years doing aerial photography from airplanes (and helicopters) and only doing "artistic" photos of mainly industrial plants so that they could hang big aerial photographs on their walls. But now that drones can be used for doing the same kind of photography there is much more competition and that market has about dried up for me.

I don't see doing those inspections as "photography" in the same sense, and I don't say that to be critical. It's just an entirely different thing and I don't see that whatever photography skills I have would apply to doing that kind of work. I see that as a different skill that I would have to learn.

My point is that I have to accept that these changes have about put me out of business as I know it and it's up to me to adapt or find something else to do. Likewise if there is a a market that supports cheap aerial photography for certain subjects or types of business, that that's also something that needs to be accepted and one should look to other markets or other businesses.

the only way that industry is going to change is if the FAA cracks down on them for using a non-107 operator for their photos -- but I doubt the FAA cares to investigate realtors.
The FAA will never investigate realtors because it's not their job to.
The FAA is only interested in aviation safety and regulations - not who realtors are buying photography from.

Reactions: MapMaker53
Realtors don't want to spend the money. They'll do it themselves if they have to or will go without. Look for other better-paying markets.

Ummm ... well, let them. After they send a few Phantoms or Mavics into the drink, a window or the trees (I know of 1 phantom 3 Pro and a 4 at the hands of a realtor but can't climb Eastern White Pines like I used to) , they'll find a bottom feeder to provide them with some sub-par work - which they generally can't differentiate from anyhow. I suspect that will fit their bill so be it. I, am of course, generalizing, but the gist is present.

Not so long ago, I received 2 calls from a source who saw my work and requested me (speciically) for a shoot(s). Within a minute or 2 I learned the first would be a 1.5 hour drive for a $1,800,000.00 asking price home sale and they offered me $100, "well I could do $150 maybe - we have a lot of jobs coming, too" they said. The conversation ended about there. This is the only looking back I did on that one.

Some of my most profitable clients have been the ones who didn't use me initially because my rates were higher than their nephew's rates. I always tell them that you usually get what you pay for. When they call me back asking me to go an ReShoot something that was done by someone else the rates go UP!! Ironically the jobs aren't even the Difficult ones.....

Not so long ago, I received 2 calls from a source who saw my work and requested me (speciically) for a shoot(s). Within a minute or 2 I learned the first would be a 1.5 hour drive for a $1,800,000.00 asking price home sale and they offered me $100, "well I could do $150 maybe - we have a lot of jobs coming, too" they said. The conversation ended about there. This is the only looking back I did on that one.

Realtors are notorious for being cheap and I'd love to have a dollar for every time I've heard, "If you give us a break on this one we will use you on the XYZ project coming up and it's a BIG project!" More often then not they are bottom feeders looking for get your work and services for as close to nothing as possible. I still do Real Estate shoots but I do about 1/10th as many as I used to because that market is saturated and I've found/developed other types of sUAS projects that are more profitable and involve less work. :)

I had a prospective client call me yesterday and say, "We only need one picture of our building. How much do you charge for one picture." I told him our rate (very fair BTW) and he said, "But it's only 1 picture..."

I explained to him 1 picture or 50 requires the same about of driving, preparation, planning, and flying. If you want me to price it per picture I can do that but it's (insert the above rate again). He chuckled and said, "I see what you did there lol".

We booked it for next week . . . .

I had a prospective client call me yesterday and say, "We only need one picture of our building. How much do you charge for one picture." I told him our rate (very fair BTW) and he said, "But it's only 1 picture..."

I explained to him 1 picture or 50 requires the same about of driving, preparation, planning, and flying. If you want me to price it per picture I can do that but it's (insert the above rate again). He chuckled and said, "I see what you did there lol".

We booked it for next week . . . .
Please post the bloody picture after that shoot! :)

Reactions: BigAl07
I have given up on real estate unless dealing directly with a private seller. Realtors want it for nothing.cheapest group I have ever dealt with, bar none. And I have friends that are realtors.

I’ve been working in the entertainment industry in Hollywood for 35 years. Operating a drone for a network show for the last 3, and a member of 3 unions. Because I’ve noticed some comments about Hollywood unions here,
I would like to help shed some light on who does what (jurisdiction) as far as drones are concerned, because forming a drone union here might not be as easy or beneficial as one might think.

IATSE ( International alliance of theatrical stage employees) Local 80 Motion Picture Grips: they consider a drone as a camera dolly, ( covered under their jurisdiction ) thus if you want to work on a union show that is using them you must be a member. It would also be unlikely that the production company isn’t using other unions on that same shoot, so the camera on the drone could be controlled by an IATSE Local 600 member, which includes directors of photography, camera operators, and assistant camera operators.

Confusing yet???

Well what about getting work with your drone that doesn’t have a camera. I know it sounds strange because that’s why we all got into this, to make pretty pictures, but surprisingly there is some work in that regard. New LED lighting that can be carried on drones is utilized in this manner. Who does that you ask?

While I don’t know if this is now a thing...IATSE Local 728 is Motion Picture Lighting.
If they are working on that same shoot, it would stand that you won’t be allowed to operate lights without being a member.

Although motion picture unions do cross pollinate into television, IATSE local 33 dominates most television production in Los Angeles as far as grips, props, electricians and sound goes. Although not official yet I can tell you with first-hand knowledge that they are actively seeking to bring drone into their world.

Finally we have NABET. ( National Association of broadcast engineers and technicians) For a television program they might be the camera operator and local 33 might be the platform. But as of right now I can’t say that for sure.

So where does that leave anyone who is not a member of one or all of these unions? Actually not in a bad place. They are more than willing to have new members join as long as you don’t mind paying their card fees and quarterly dues. Does that mean that they’re going to guarantee work? No not really, but you will be in a community inside of a community with a very specialized skill that the vast majority of other union members don’t. If you’re confident and well-equipped then there might be something in it for you.

Now not to paint to bright of a picture, there are three very big very well equipped heavy lift drone companies in Los Angeles, and yes they have union members, so the competition is fierce. If you want to show anyone you mean business here, you’re looking at tens of thousands if not 100,000 in equipment.

For all of that blood sweat and treasure you’re willing to put in, day rates range on the low-end from $1500 up past 6000 for the big boys.

Hope this helps.

I was/am a professional video/cinematographer for 25 years, since college. I have been "just this'd /just that'ed " for 25 years. From major studios worth billions, too major advertisers and ad agencies. So this is nothing new for any free lance Cameraman, its just that you new "dronies' have entered a world you really have not been exposed too. The job doesn't pay enough dont take it. Build your own brand and hold firm on your prices. Before these aggregate sites there was and still is Craigs List.....
As for forming a Union, all you need to do is look at how well that is working for Uber and Lyft Drivers, "its not" As for all the information provide by Skyworks Aerial on this thread, he is right on 100%. He left one thing out. To work in Hollywood and to be in the Union can cost you $5000 to $15,000 to get in. True its a lot, but Working on a set, and getting paid extremely well and knowing everyone has the skills needed to do a job right and safley is well worth it.

Here's a nice one posted a couple of days ago (roof inspection):

Job description
  • DJI Phantom 4 pro, Mavic 1 or 2
  • Pictures in JPEG format
  • Only need photos
  • No video, no editing, no inside photo, and measurement needed
  • Flight patterns:
  • One picture of rooftop overview
  • One picture of the front elevation
  • Closeup images of each slope

• Wow
Reactions: Avocet
Here's a nice one posted a couple of days ago (roof inspection):

Job description
  • DJI Phantom 4 pro, Mavic 1 or 2
  • Pictures in JPEG format
  • Only need photos
  • No video, no editing, no inside photo, and measurement needed
  • Flight patterns:
  • One picture of rooftop overview
  • One picture of the front elevation
  • Closeup images of each slope

View attachment 1316
Perhaps we could make a "Hall of Shame" section on this site? I doubt we'd run out of content like the above.

Reactions: R Martin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerardH143