Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

COA for flight above LAANC altitude

AheadAir

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.aheadair.com
What is the proper procedure for requesting clearance to fly above the LAANC altitude posted on the FAA UAS Facility Map? I have submitted through the Airhub app multiple times for various jobs. If you request clearance above the published altitude it says 'Requires Action - Further Coordination Available' and asks for justification. I have entered justification and submitted that way multiple times and have never gotten approval. Has anybody had success doing that?
If you submit an app through Drone Zone it tells you to use the LAANC system when you enter the airport info.

Reactions: GFields
What is the proper procedure for requesting clearance to fly above the LAANC altitude posted on the FAA UAS Facility Map? I have submitted through the Airhub app multiple times for various jobs. If you request clearance above the published altitude it says 'Requires Action - Further Coordination Available' and asks for justification. I have entered justification and submitted that way multiple times and have never gotten approval. Has anybody had success doing that?
If you submit an app through Drone Zone it tells you to use the LAANC system when you enter the airport info.
Perhaps a question for @BigAl07

Reactions: BigAl07
Use drone zone first thing tell them you can't get thru laanc tell them what you need all the details plus all safety mechanism so they won't bounce you back to laanc can usually get approval in 2 to 3 days for me hope that helps

I concur with dronecyclops and have always been successful. Use Drone Zone and apply for Airspace Authorization. It will tell you to use LAANC for your airport, but you can just ignore that and continue with the application. Explain in your notes that LAANC automatically rejects your request. In your application, you need to be very specific regarding the equipment you are using, any visual enhancements such as an added strobe (yes in daylight) you might have, the fact that you will follow a pre-flight checklist, that the drone has a Fail Safe return (and what altitude you will have that set at), that you have planned out an emergency landing site, if you will be employing a VO to help keep an eye out for manned aircraft, etc. Keep your altitude request within reason. Good chance you will be rejected if requesting 400' in a 0' grid cell. I even attached a marked up Google Earth close-up aerial of my intended flight area for them. Make them feel comfortable in giving you an OK to fly. After I received my first approved application, I began using the same safety verbiage for all future applications with a few modifications here and there. Good luck.

Last edited:
Follow MapMaker53’s advice. I use approximately the same detail in my requests and generally have not encountered any pushback.
Agreed - follow MapMaker's advice. And when requesting the altitude, regardless of the LAANC ceiling, I always request "400 feet AGL or whatever maximum altitude ATC authorizes," and they'll assign me whatever ceiling they're comfortable with.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905