Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Columbus PD Incident

401 Feet

DSAR Member
Reaction score
Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
It's people like this that will make it harder to do what we need to do. 800 feet agl and playing chicken with the police chopper? For real??

I sincerely hope he gets jail time, fines, and is NEVER allowed to own another sUAS.

Pretty hard to stop him from owning another but if the penalty is large enough he might find it hard to come up with enough money to buy one. I can almost guaranty the FAA is going to add a careless and reckless charge to the city charges. That doesn’t even consider any charges the TSA and DHS might impose.

Bad move on the operator’s part, he elected to challenge state and federal laws at multiple levels. He may well be the punitive example we’ve been waiting for.

Reactions: BigAl07
It's people like this that will make it harder to do what we need to do. 800 feet agl and playing chicken with the police chopper? For real??

Too bad the feds will probably do nothing. Hope the locals hang him by his testicles and take a hammer to the drone...

Taking bets on whether the feds will do anything of any consequence. This is a perfect case to make an example.

I won’t bet on it, I just hope that for once they can make an example, like the idiot that flew over the Levi’s stadium here in SF.
I recently moved to Hawaii, and travel back to Cali for work, and when I’m in Hawaii, I don’t feel like flying recreationally, because I can spot 2 or 5 drones in the sky on the daily, and I know that some of of these tourists are breaking the regulations. Sigh......

I emailed Columbus FSDO:

Good Afternoon,
Thank you for contacting our office about this event. We are aware of the incident from the article and we are investigating accordingly. Rest assured we take these matters very seriously. If you have any other information, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact our office.

Again, thank you for your concern,

Matt Nabors
Aviation Safety Assistant
Columbus FSDO
Office: 614-255-3121

Pretty standard corporate style response. Thanks for letting us know, although we are paid to get things done we don’t have the time or inclination, but by golly we do care, so bug off.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
It's a bird, it's a plane, it's an UFO, must be a drone. Oh, and I got zapped by a lazier and needed treatment. Hmmmm, ok, hows your vision? Could have flown right through my rotor wash and into my cockpit and knocked me out of the sky.

Could be in the near future drones will be replacing helicopters, good reason to make drones the reason for all aviation problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM