Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Commercial operation in foreign countries. Help!

Andy989

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a TV and film camera man and I also hold a GVC. I often go out and film the programme and do the drone myself. Mainly due to the nature of the shows I often work on. (Dangerous/mountainous). I have a job coming up in October where I will be travelling to USA, Mexico, India, Indonesia. Filming a documentary series. The producers have asked if i could do the drone too. I told them it will probably be easier to just hire local drone operators but said I'd look into anyway. They are talking to their local fixers about the matter currently but thought I'd ask around too. Does anyone on here have any experience with foreign operation?

Ive done some preliminary research for USA and Mexico and from what i've seen I need an Economic authority, register for their version of flyer and op ID, and pass a knowledge test. I just wondered if any could be by-passed by having a GVC. I suspect most answers will be to hire locally, which I agree with however they'll only be with us for one or two days out of 14 days for each destination. As a camera man i often find myself in perfectly unplanned moments and get the drone up (when land permissions for filming are already in place). I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

Edit - From the UK

Use local pilots, or do what is needed to be qualified to fly in each country. Usually one requirement is that you are licensed to fly in your home country, but that’s about the only use for your GVC, as each national CAA has its own independent regulations.

Hi all. I'm a TV and film camera man and I also hold a GVC. I often go out and film the programme and do the drone myself. Mainly due to the nature of the shows I often work on. (Dangerous/mountainous). I have a job coming up in October where I will be travelling to USA, Mexico, India, Indonesia. Filming a documentary series. The producers have asked if i could do the drone too. I told them it will probably be easier to just hire local drone operators but said I'd look into anyway. They are talking to their local fixers about the matter currently but thought I'd ask around too. Does anyone on here have any experience with foreign operation?

Ive done some preliminary research for USA and Mexico and from what i've seen I need an Economic authority, register for their version of flyer and op ID, and pass a knowledge test. I just wondered if any could be by-passed by having a GVC. I suspect most answers will be to hire locally, which I agree with however they'll only be with us for one or two days out of 14 days for each destination. As a camera man i often find myself in perfectly unplanned moments and get the drone up (when land permissions for filming are already in place). I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

Edit - From the UK

The only way to "By Pass" the FAA requirements in the USA is to either use a Part 107 Operator to fly the drone for you or hire a Part 107 Operator to stand beside you (and be able to take over flight controls at any given moment) while you operate the controls. Either way, the By-Pass will require you hire someone with Part 107 (and be current). I would suggest going the 2nd option this way you fly the aircraft (I'd say your cinematography skills are pretty good) and you don't have to train someone to get the shots you want/need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gstrick1215