Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Commercial Project Indoors?

Meltonian

Reaction score
Does anyone do commercial jobs that are indoors? My thought project is something like filming or shooting indoors for real estate but I'm sure there's other possibilities.
If so, what equipment do you use as opposed to outdoor jobs?

Does anyone do commercial jobs that are indoors? My thought project is something like filming or shooting indoors for real estate but I'm sure there's other possibilities.

I use the DJI Spark, mostly, but that's for tactical operations and 1080p is fine for imagery.

If you want 4K then consider the Mavic.

Reactions: Black Ops
What about the liability to interior damage?

Good question, not sure if commercial insurance would cover that...I fly indoors with a government agency so insurance isn't a factor.

If commercial insurance won't cover indoor operations, I'd go ahead anyway, flying in Tripod mode with the Mavic or Spark's VPS active to help with control.

I have flown indoors on multiple occasions with my current I2 and previous I1. It’s a whole lot easier with the newer drones that have tripod mode. I would still recommend practicing flying in atti mode without gps and getting comfortable with that before taking on an indoor job. Most buildings won’t provide enough gps for positioning to work properly.

Most of my work has been in larger areas like warehouses, lecture rooms, etc.
All in all it does add a bit more risk, so price accordingly. It does help that my insurance covers any damage caused by the drone regardless of inside or outside.

@shooter @Randy Bailey - I am an aviation insurance broker that specializes in commercial UAS operations (I currently insure about 215+ unmanned operations). While I cannot speak to all policies, the policies I broker will cover you for bodily injury and property damage related to indoor flights. As part of the application process, the insurance company asks about indoor flights. Back in 2015, they used to flat out decline indoor operations. However, they have changed their stance on indoor flights over the last year. Review your policy. If indoor flights are excluded, that language should be included in your policy.

Sincerely,

Joe Ernster
[email protected]

I shoot lots of indoor productions and some have incorporated use of a drone to capture large crane-style sweeps. Aerial camera platforms are just another tool in photography/videography work. In today's market, you are going to want to invest in something that has, at minimum, a 1" sensor. The Sony AX100 might be an excellent start for you. I invested in an AX-53 as one of my B-roll shooters and have been very pleased with its performance. Osmo's are a fantastic tool if the lighting will allow it's use practically. I've seen an over-abundance of RE indoor video shoots that were not properly exposed, then blasted with included exterior aerial video segments. Small-sensored cameras will have great difficulty in many indoor settings unless you're compensating with a lot of extra lighting. I'm not a regular DSLR video shooter but instead rely on traditional ENG style full-size video cameras complimented with an arsenal of smaller-sensored B-roll cams. It's your choice, but make the decision now what road you want to follow with equipment investments.
On a side note, DJI would hit a home run if they incorporate a 1" sensor on the next Osmo model, which I'm predicting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM