Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Construction Drone Work

Where you getting these thumbdrives Al? I almost bought some for same purposes and thought about stickers.

I've bought from a couple of different online vendors over the years but I think 4Imprint is where we got the last online order.

A local company does "logo merchandise" and they do smaller order quantities so I've been using them for the last year now.

Stickers is definitely a good option. You could probably save some $$ doing it this way.

If I can make a suggestion, assuming you can finagle your way to talk to a boss, ask him for 5 minutes so you can show him a sample of what you can do for them, then set up a quick orbit and fly it while he watches. Tell him thats very basic, and that you can provide as much detail as they need.
Be honest, tell him you're trying to get your foot in the door.

I have done both, real estate and construction and constructions is by far the best, or should I say the most profitable. See if you can find the construction superintendent and he will be the place to start. One of the biggest problems you will have on a large constructions site is the safety people, and they don't want you flying over their people. Needless to say you will at times. You must make sure you don't disrupt work in progress. For instance some of the photos I must take each week are around 200 foot cranes, I need to make sure I don't interfere with their work, as well as staying away from them while taking photos. Don't be walking around a constructions site and watching your drone at the same time, the safety people will have a fit and you can get hurt. Learn what your client is looking for, that is a big issue. A photographer may think a particular photos looks great but it may not show the client what he wants. Be sure you offer interior point and shoot photos as well as your drone photos.

I would like to do more construction progress photography, but the job I do have is because I first photographed their project during the beginning phase and used those images that I gave to them at no charge as a means to promote my services, and they hired me to photograph that project regularly. I don't see any problem with impressing them in that way. That's how I intend to get more of this type of work.
I've had similar success.
Marketing Rule #1: Give away samples of your product. You immediately neutralize THE most popular excuse of all: COST. After that, they have no defense, other than simple obstinacy. Don't fool yourself into thinking the Builder or PM know what you're talking about in a no-sample sales pitch. Can't blame them, but the reality is they just don't. When they see the samples of their specific building, light bulbs start to go off. To see a dramatic shot of "their baby" from up above flatters them. Aerials will always carry a certain WOW factor, and trying to convey that to a client solely on the basis of verbal communications is fruitless. Give it away!! (at least a small watermarked sample). They will take ownership of it - and that's powerful.

Also, make sure to have specific examples on your website that depict Industrial/Commercial jobs. That will resonate with potential Industrial/Commercial clients.

It is a matter of respect for others rather than of permission. When you show respect to others, even if you don't need permission, you are always taken more into account with the people in charge, who control everything that happens on the construction site. However, it can also become a security problem if there are people working.

On many occasions I have asked for permission to record and have been reticent and it is when I say "I really don't need permission to record but if you dont, i will not record, it would really help me if you'd let me" or something similar depending on the situation and explaining why you want the images. When they understand that they can't really stop it, they put their "conditions"in place, I don't want my face to come out, or please don't record this and that way you get "permission" and there is a beneficial agreement for you that can provide you with a client in the long run. They still may not like the idea and it's best not to record. Why make people angry at you? Good publicity is better than bad publicity. The key? To be kind and informative and to advertise yourself :)

I'm not sure I'd use this tack... I'd probably bristle at it and while it says more about me than it does about you, if I'm the decision maker it really wouldn't matter. Once you tell me that "you don't need my permission" the relationship becomes adversarial and now you're only wasting our time.

You should absolutely present samples but as a former construction manager I'll tell you you won't be welcome doing anything related to my construction site without my prior permission. I'm responsible for everything that happens on that site and I run a very tight ship. Talk to the man. Show him your work. You can always start filming on the spot or at a time of his choosing. This isn't a game to him, he's a professional and you need to extend professional courtesy if you want to work with him.

I'm not sure I'd use this tack... I'd probably bristle at it and while it says more about me than it does about you, if I'm the decision maker it really wouldn't matter. Once you tell me that "you don't need my permission" the relationship becomes adversarial and now you're only wasting our time.

You should absolutely present samples but as a former construction manager I'll tell you you won't be welcome doing anything related to my construction site without my prior permission. I'm responsible for everything that happens on that site and I run a very tight ship. Talk to the man. Show him your work. You can always start filming on the spot or at a time of his choosing. This isn't a game to him, he's a professional and you need to extend professional courtesy if you want to work with him.

That is excellent advice, thanks.

This goes without saying. Showing a little respect to the PM is the first order of business. If the PM likes what you do, that translates into one hell of a referral to the decision makers. Granted - PM's are usually pressed for time and usually look upon cold-callers as a general nuisance. I empathize with them. If drone operators sense the PM is preoccupied, just circle back at another time. If he shows no interest, wish him a nice day and be on your way. You're not going to bat 1.000.

Reactions: Bad Karma

Indeed, that is precisely what I wanted to convey. First of all, what you have highlighted in red is reasoning in case of reticence. It doesn't make sense to go wrong with those responsible, but in the event of a continuous refusal and bearing in mind that it is necessary to start and be able to present other potential customers with something, it may be the way to go.

Anyway, to my way of thinking and with the experience I have working in construction, it is always better to introduce yourself and talk things over. It's another thing to choose the right moment, and that's almost harder than explaining what you want to do. The works tend to be crazy where many people at the same time work and the people in charge usually run from one side to the other all day long.

Reactions: Bad Karma
Indeed, that is precisely what I wanted to convey. First of all, what you have highlighted in red is reasoning in case of reticence. It doesn't make sense to go wrong with those responsible, but in the event of a continuous refusal and bearing in mind that it is necessary to start and be able to present other potential customers with something, it may be the way to go.

Anyway, to my way of thinking and with the experience I have working in construction, it is always better to introduce yourself and talk things over. It's another thing to choose the right moment, and that's almost harder than explaining what you want to do. The works tend to be crazy where many people at the same time work and the people in charge usually run from one side to the other all day long.
I knew there was a reason I quit that nonsense..

Flying over a pit is not considered trespassing, but do consider the safety of the workers below. Each pits has a drone calendar day, and the safety foreman notifies the ground crew of the activity, so they won’t be distracted, on the weekend some pits has security guards, and if you crash your drone inside the pit, there will be a big financial consequences and that will result in trespassing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy